Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2014-15

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
He left in the game against Vancouver (went awkwardly into the boards, knee/ankle issue?), but returned to the ice later (looking somewhat uncomfortable).
He started against Arizona and looked fine, but was spared in the 3rd after game was decided.
I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Good, thx for the update.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Then again, the coach in Anaheim does not always follow protocol and has played mindgames with both goalie Jesus and Andersen before, hurting them both imo.

You are right bagge. Have been amazed by BBs way of handling goalies before. And not just from a pro andersen point of view. His handling of Gibson in the start of the reason seemed weird, and his signing of Bryz turned out to be a massive failure. They could have just kept Labarbera.

Now Andersen is getting back from injury, so if he shows a little rust, who knows.

It would be massively unfair however.

There is still a ton of hype for Gibson in the Anaheim fanbase, but I think most expect Andersen to be the starter.....

:laugh:

I think you are right, at least let us hope you are :)

Yes...Im optimistic, but its difficult to feel very certain with the past in mind.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
With both Frederik Andersen and Mikkel Bødker out, we look to the remaining Danes for some excitement, but they haven't exactly been scoring a lot.
Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen have been assembling some assists lately and last night Jannik Hansen got a good slapper into the net.

Frans Nielsen: 11G 26A [So OK year from Frans Nielsen, though his scoring has been somewhat low when you consider how well NY Islanders has been playing]

Mikkel Bødker: 14G 14A and out injured for some time now, shame it ruins an otherwise good point total.

Jannik Hansen: 12G 14A. Quite descent when you consider he plays lower lines. After a longer streak with any points, he actually has 8P (2G 6A) in the last 8 matches.

Lars Eller: 9G 8A. Has not been very productive for some time now (1G 1A in the last 22 games).
He really is “black or white“ throughout the season.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
With both Frederik Andersen and Mikkel Bødker out, we look to the remaining Danes for some excitement, but they haven't exactly been scoring a lot.
Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen have been assembling some assists lately and last night Jannik Hansen got a good slapper into the net.

Frans Nielsen: 11G 26A [So OK year from Frans Nielsen, though his scoring has been somewhat low when you consider how well NY Islanders has been playing]

Mikkel Bødker: 14G 14A and out injured for some time now, shame it ruins an otherwise good point total.

Jannik Hansen: 12G 14A. Quite descent when you consider he plays lower lines. After a longer streak with any points, he actually has 8P (2G 6A) in the last 8 matches.

Lars Eller: 9G 8A. Has not been very productive for some time now (1G 1A in the last 22 games).
He really is “black or white“ throughout the season.

Add to that, the chances of getting any of them home for WC is very slim.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I just hope that Ehlers and Bjorkstrand can participate.

I read somewhere that the NT coach wouldnt consider them unless they where available to the training camp prior to the WC. What that means remains to be seen.

In my world they should be automatic locks if they are available.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I read somewhere that the NT coach wouldnt consider them unless they where available to the training camp prior to the WC. What that means remains to be seen.

If that's true he should be fired immediately. Our depth is so poor and there might be not a single NHL-player available to help the team.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

In my world they should be automatic locks if they are available.

Fully agree.
Without any NHL players (possible Bødker if he gets healthy in time and is allowed) and only a few of the AHL players it looks like a survival year.

The line Storm - Jesper Jensen - P. Bjørkstrand has been great several times, so it hopefully continues and could be very important for our survival.
Beside these three: Morten Madsen and Mads Christensen are have reasonable good years and Morten Poulsen have also been adding points up lately.

But Ehlers and O. Bjørkstrand will be a huge update to our forward group as our possible depth is quite thin.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
There is still a ton of hype for Gibson in the Anaheim fanbase, but I think most expect Andersen to be the starter.....

You're right. All the sudden Gibson is now almost Ducks starter according to some people in Ducks board. He is some special kid isn't he? He plays one good game and after that he's next to jesus.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Fully agree.
Without any NHL players (possible Bødker if he gets healthy in time and is allowed) and only a few of the AHL players it looks like a survival year.

The line Storm - Jesper Jensen - P. Bjørkstrand has been great several times, so it hopefully continues and could be very important for our survival.
Beside these three: Morten Madsen and Mads Christensen are have reasonable good years and Morten Poulsen have also been adding points up lately.

But Ehlers and O. Bjørkstrand will be a huge update to our forward group as our possible depth is quite thin.

I wonder if Boedker would go even if he is healed. He got his spleen removed. Might want some serious rest after season.

Ehlers seems the best option, when you consider how good Portland is at the moment so I doubt Bjorkstrand will be available until at least late april....I think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand should be selected no matter how late they arrive but sounds like Janne has decided that they need to take part in at least part of the training camp to play.

Stupid when you consider that we might very well be without any NHL reinforcement.

You're right. All the sudden Gibson is now almost Ducks starter according to some people in Ducks board. He is some special kid isn't he? He plays one good game and after that he's next to jesus.

I will be worried if Gibson starts the next two games

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand should be selected no matter how late they arrive but sounds like Janne has decided that they need to take part in at least part of the training camp to play.

Stupid when you consider that we might very well be without any NHL reinforcement.

Allow me to be the boring conservative voice in this debate: No way should any junior player be on the World Champs NT unless they have been at the training camp for enough time for the NT coach to get an idea of their level. Unless the player is the next Gretzky or thereabouts. The gap between the CHL and the World Champs is pretty darn big... I'm all for inviting them to camp and see if they are at the required level, which they might very well be for all I know. But, don't throw them at the wolves before we get to see if they can fight for themselves.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Allow me to be the boring conservative voice in this debate: No way should any junior player be on the World Champs NT unless they have been at the training camp for enough time for the NT coach to get an idea of their level. Unless the player is the next Gretzky or thereabouts. The gap between the CHL and the World Champs is pretty darn big... I'm all for inviting them to camp and see if they are at the required level, which they might very well be for all I know. But, don't throw them at the wolves before we get to see if they can fight for themselves.

I dont agree. Bjorkstrand played in the Danish League three seasons ago and did well. If he werent in the Canadian juniors at this point he would be playing in a top league in Europe. I see absolutely no reason he shouldnt play WC if he is allowed. Same goes for Ehlers.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I wonder if Boedker would go even if he is healed. He got his spleen removed. Might want some serious rest after season.

Ehlers seems the best option, when you consider how good Portland is at the moment so I doubt Bjorkstrand will be available until at least late april....I think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand should be selected no matter how late they arrive but sounds like Janne has decided that they need to take part in at least part of the training camp to play.

Bødker is not going. Rumours has it that he has lost ten kilos of pure muscles. He will not have time to fully recover before WC. With Coyotes being out of the PO race and trading Vermette last night I am not even sure he is going to return to Coyotes this season if he is not 100 % ready.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Bødker is not going. Rumours has it that he has lost ten kilos of pure muscles. He will not have time to fully recover before WC. With Coyotes being out of the PO race and trading Vermette last night I am not even sure he is going to return to Coyotes this season if he is not 100 % ready.

Yeah sounds very unlikely, that he will be able to get ready for the WC. Even more unlikely that Arizona would let him go under these circumstances. They will let him rest until next season, as this season basically is over for them.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Compared with our available forward roster, Oliver Bjørkstrand would have no problem playing. [Assuming no NHL or AHL players]
It's him or someone else that has to be “thrown to the wolves“. [Same logic here below also goes with Ehlers]

With: Hardt, Madsen, P. Bjørkstrand, M. Christensen, J. Jensen, Storm, M. Poulsen, J. Jakobsen, Green, Staal we have 10 players with routine and quality [Green have probably had his worst season ever, but will be included for his routine, even if it is only for 4th line].
The final three forward guys (assuming 13 forwards) will either be Danish leaguers (Lasse Lassen, Thomas Spelling, Jannik Karvinen, Morten Andreasen etc) or other fairly young unexperienced forwards from Allsvenskan (F. Maegaard Scheel, A. Poulsen)
Then also Starkov if they want him back on the NT......

With what is available, O. Bjørkstrand could easily enter at the very least a fourth line.
Why not with Kim Staal for rolling some surprise attacks and use them fairly little on defense?
Staal has managed the most points for Denmark the last two WC playing mostly 4th line, so O. Bjørkstrand with him and then a center (likely Madsen or Green).

J. Jensen, J. Jakobsen, Madsen, Green in whatever order looks like the 4 centers....

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Jesus in net once more. I guess 29 wins in this season means nothing....well no surprise to be honest. Good thing Freddy only have one season left before his contract expires.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Jesus in net once more. I guess 29 wins in this season means nothing....well no surprise to be honest. Good thing Freddy only have one season left before his contract expires.

Well Andersen's agent have shown some balls before. If they really will put Andersen behind or tie with Gibson now after the season he have had (which I don't believe will happen, but I'm also little bit afraid of that, because you can't underestimate the hypetrain) Andersen agent must demand trade offseason. The is no future for him with Anaheim if they really put Gibson back to 1a/1b status after the season Andersen had. Think about it if it was Gibson who would have now 29-8-5 stats. No one would suggest that he should be put back with 1a/1b form.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I dont agree. Bjorkstrand played in the Danish League three seasons ago and did well. If he werent in the Canadian juniors at this point he would be playing in a top league in Europe. I see absolutely no reason he shouldnt play WC if he is allowed. Same goes for Ehlers.

As previously stated, the difference between the CHL and the World Champs is huge. No 16 year olds in the WC. And if they are on the Danish team, there's a very good chance they will be asked to perform a different role on the NT than they have in the CHL. So few games in the WC to decide our faith, there's is no margin for error. You can't spend the first 3 or 4 games trying to figure out what we have in Ehlers and Bjorkstrand and what roles they can play at a level they haven't experienced before.

I still consider them very good prospects and I'm sure their time will come - both on the NT and in the NHL. But throwing them in to the WC at the end of a long season, when there is no familiarity between them and the NT coach, would be doing them and the NT a disservice.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Well Andersen's agent have shown some balls before. If they really will put Andersen behind or tie with Gibson now after the season he have had (which I don't believe will happen, but I'm also little bit afraid of that, because you can't underestimate the hypetrain) Andersen agent must demand trade offseason. The is no future for him with Anaheim if they really put Gibson back to 1a/1b status after the season Andersen had. Think about it if it was Gibson who would have now 29-8-5 stats. No one would suggest that he should be put back with 1a/1b form.

Playing Gibson a lot right now makes perfect sense. He is actually playing very well at the moment. He has a .926 SVS % over the last 5 games and by the looks of it another strong start tonight vs DAL... The team is a lock for one of the top seeds in the playoffs. So, why not see what you got in Gibson, while resting the guy who is going to be your starter in the playoffs? Andersen is just back from injury, so why not ease him back in? And so many teams have been punished in the playoffs by having a tired over-used No 1 goalie play 65+ games in the regular season.

Besides, a lot of people who knows a lot more about evaluating goaltenders than I do, consider Gibson one of the biggest goalie prospects in the world right now. It is not unreasonable at this point to believe that Gibson has a higher ceiling than Andersen. If that belief is shared by the Ducks brass, it makes perfect sense for them to plan for Gibson being the long term solution for them.

Just tough luck for Andersen if even his second NHL organization doesn't turn out to be the right fit. But this kind of thing happens for goalies all the time. Just look at Bishop in TB and Dubnyk in MIN.

At the end of the day, there is no doubt in my mind that Andersen is good enough to be a starter in the NHL - maybe even a top 10 or better. If it does not happen in Anaheim, he will find the right spot eventually.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lucky goal for Jannik Hansen, but it counted.....so 9 points in 9 games.
Could be a personal record streak for him?!

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
As previously stated, the difference between the CHL and the World Champs is huge. No 16 year olds in the WC. And if they are on the Danish team, there's a very good chance they will be asked to perform a different role on the NT than they have in the CHL. So few games in the WC to decide our faith, there's is no margin for error. You can't spend the first 3 or 4 games trying to figure out what we have in Ehlers and Bjorkstrand and what roles they can play at a level they haven't experienced before.

I still consider them very good prospects and I'm sure their time will come - both on the NT and in the NHL. But throwing them in to the WC at the end of a long season, when there is no familiarity between them and the NT coach, would be doing them and the NT a disservice.

I see your point, but these guys are not 16 years of age.

I am not buying your point about playing a different role on the NT. Janne Karlsson explicit said that it was time to play some different hockey when he was signed: Possesion hockey where we dont go back in our own zone every 60 minutes and plays solely on single man standout performances. It was time to take the next step, but that also means he has to take the best at doing so and that means he has to take to topprospects into consideration imo.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I see your point, but these guys are not 16 years of age.

I am not buying your point about playing a different role on the NT. Janne Karlsson explicit said that it was time to play some different hockey when he was signed: Possesion hockey where we dont go back in our own zone every 60 minutes and plays solely on single man standout performances. It was time to take the next step, but that also means he has to take the best at doing so and that means he has to take to topprospects into consideration imo.

They are playing against players as young as 16 in the CHL. I am not saying they shouldn't be part of the team, just that they shouldn't be added at the last minute without the coach getting to know their strengths and weaknesses and them getting to know the NT system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad