Denmark: Danes in NHL 2015-16

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Lets hope so, because you should check out the Yotes GDT, he is getting fried.

They are ready to leave him in Ottawa... I dint thnk he deserves them being so rough..

They have completely forgotten how he played pre injury, and now that Rieder, Domi And Ducllair are producing, he is old news.

And Eller gets one aswell!

Hattrick for Bøds now, assist for Nielsen and Eller with a goal. Despite Andersen letting in three goals I'd say its an ok night for the Danish players :handclap::handclap:

But seriously though, have you ever seen Ducks play this boring and without confidence? They look like a peewee team against boys five years older than themselves...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I love this for Boeds, might make his "fans" shut up.

Yeah Anaheim look like a totally different team! 15 SOG thru 3 periods.. jeeesus

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So great Danish night after having Ehlers as the only excitement in the NHL for some days, and the Jokerit Danes in KHL not producing.

Hat-trick for Bødker (YEAH!) - good to have him back scoring.
Two first goals were beauties: The first created through his shifty speed, the second by great hands!

Goal for Lars Eller (but also missed a chance alone with the goalie).
Two assists for Frans Nielsen - his calmness in the OT slowly cruising closer to the net and then a beautiful backhand pass to Grabovski was classic "Frans Nielsen".
Andersen had 90% saves in the Anaheim 0-3 loss - Anaheim has insane troubles scoring at the moment!
No points for Jannik Hansen.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Hattrick for Bøds now, assist for Nielsen and Eller with a goal. Despite Andersen letting in three goals I'd say its an ok night for the Danish players :handclap::handclap:

But seriously though, have you ever seen Ducks play this boring and without confidence? They look like a peewee team against boys five years older than themselves...

I think BB completely lost the lockerroom...That would be what the pundits would be saying if this was football, and it completely fits.

They just dont care. I hate Getzlaf as a captain..Maybe he sounds good but he is not a leader on the ice.

This team aint going to the playoffs unless something changes dramatically in the next 3-4 games. Put a fork in it....

But Freddy at the WC....Silver linings.:yo::yo::yo::yo:

So great Danish night after having Ehlers as the only excitement in the NHL for some days, and the Jokerit Danes in KHL not producing.

Hat-trick for Bødker (YEAH!) - good to have him back scoring.
Two first goals were beauties: The first created through his shifty speed, the second by great hands!

Goal for Lars Eller (but also missed a chance alone with the goalie).
Two assists for Frans Nielsen - his calmness in the OT slowly cruising closer to the net and then a beautiful backhand pass to Grabovski was classic "Frans Nielsen".
Andersen had 90% saves in the Anaheim 0-3 loss - Anaheim has insane troubles scoring at the moment!
No points for Jannik Hansen.

Frans is just so unapreciated! But **** me...3v3 sucks so massively! I really dont get it.

I know everybody in the world except me, seems to hate shootouts but I really dont get how this is better?

But Frans will be evil on this. So brilliant a view for the game. Fantastic pass....
It was so good that his team mate looks clumsy getting it in, because nobody saw it coming.
And people barely notice him in the GDT....Had Tavares made this pass, everybody would have been talking about it for weeks, but Frans is considered to be over the hill, so he barely gets praised.

Freddy was actually quite good. Had some monster saves in the first 1½ period I watched before falling asleep. Including a beauty of a stick save.

I love this for Boeds, might make his "fans" shut up.

Yeah Anaheim look like a totally different team! 15 SOG thru 3 periods.. jeeesus

I don't want them to shut up....I want him traded. Although I will miss rereading their GDTs....They are the easiest the read on HFBoards, since they are about half the length of any other teams:naughty::naughty:

Wait...Maybe its all a conspiracy against danes:sarcasm:
Boedker is hated by his own fans, Freddy is hated by 85% of anaheim, Frans is getting heat from the islanders fans.-...NOBODY LIKES US:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Maybe thats why im enjoying Ehlers so much...Nobody has grown to hate him yet.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think BB completely lost the lockerroom...That would be what the pundits would be saying if this was football, and it completely fits.

They just dont care. I hate Getzlaf as a captain..Maybe he sounds good but he is not a leader on the ice.

This team aint going to the playoffs unless something changes dramatically in the next 3-4 games. Put a fork in it....

But Freddy at the WC....Silver linings.:yo::yo::yo::yo:

Frans is just so unapreciated! But **** me...3v3 sucks so massively! I really dont get it.

I know everybody in the world except me, seems to have shootouts but I really dont get how this is better?

But Frans will be evil on this. So brilliant a view for the game. Fantastic pass....
It was so good that his team mate looks clumsy getting it in, because nobody saw it coming.
And people barely notice him in the GDT....Had Tavares made this pass, everybody would have been talking about it for weeks, but Frans is considered to be over the hill, so he barely gets praised.

Freddy was actually quite good. Had some monster saves in the first 1½ period I watched before falling asleep. Including a beauty of a stick save.

I don't want them to shut up....I want him traded.

Wait...Maybe its all a conspiracy against danes:sarcasm:
Boedker is hated by his own fans, Freddy is hated by 85% of anaheim, Frans is getting heat from the islanders fans.-...NOBODY LIKES US:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Maybe thats why im enjoying Ehlers so much...Nobody has grown to hate him yet.

Very little loyalty from fans these days.

But yah, Danish players are certainly getting heat, Eller is just starting to get rid of the heat.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

But yah, Danish players are certainly getting heat, Eller is just starting to get rid of the heat.

I really hate the shiny new toy thing. The hate on Freddy seems to come for two reasons only.
1. Gibson aka. Shiny Toy that might be the best toy ever.
2. KingJoffrey pissed off everybody on the Ducks board to such an extent that Freddy gets the heat.

This dude should be loved if you think of how he has performed in such a short career.....Its a bit unreal.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Its actually quite funny about NA fan loyalty. They demand it utterly one way and give nothing in return.

If a player actually said he was a "mercenary" just playing in the team he got drafted by chance and didn't give a **** about it or even said it was unlucky to be drafted by a crummy team playing in an unattractive boring town :laugh:. Basically just waiting to go UFA so he could sign with a contender, every fan of that team would get upset and give him hell moaning about lack of commitment and loyalty.

If a player has played several years behaving and performing loyally for that team, the soon he gets back from injure and/or have a down period its "trade him", since "he is useless"!
So the answer to loyal players is from this vocal fan-base "trade him while he has value, before he gets bad"! So they want good players to be loyal and when they are less good, its all about money!

Loyalty normally go two ways. Smart players will eventually learn that lesson and make sure they don't commit to such a team in any way, when risking yourself (fights, diving for pucks etc) might risk their longterm health and their overall career and paycheck.....

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Its actually quite funny about NA fan loyalty. They demand it utterly one way and give nothing in return.

If a player actually said he was a "mercenary" just playing in the team he got drafted by chance and didn't give a **** about it or even said it was unlucky to be drafted by a crummy team playing in an unattractive boring town :laugh:. Basically just waiting to go UFA so he could sign with a contender, every fan of that team would get upset and give him hell moaning about lack of commitment and loyalty.

If a player has played several years behaving and performing loyally for that team, the soon he gets back from injure and/or have a down period its "trade him", since "he is useless"!
So the answer to loyal players is from this vocal fan-base "trade him while he has value, before he gets bad"! So they want good players to be loyal and when they are less good, its all about money!

Loyalty normally go two ways. Smart players will eventually learn that lesson and make sure they don't commit to such a team in any way, when risking yourself (fights, diving for pucks etc) might risk their longterm health and their overall career and paycheck.....

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that HF forum members represent the majority of N/A fans. There are a LOT of agitators and whiners gracing this site and they are no more than a few percent of actual fans of any given team. Most fans are supportive and loyal......even when they have very little reason to. OK, Leafs fans are accurately represented here but that is the only one:sarcasm:

I am a Jets fan and love Ehlers. He is due for a huge game soon, but probably not today against the Wild. They are really tough to play against.

Cheers

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Please don't make the mistake of thinking that HF forum members represent the majority of N/A fans. There are a LOT of agitators and whiners gracing this site and they are no more than a few percent of actual fans of any given team. Most fans are supportive and loyal......even when they have very little reason to. OK, Leafs fans are accurately represented here but that is the only one:sarcasm:

I am a Jets fan and love Ehlers. He is due for a huge game soon, but probably not today against the Wild. They are really tough to play against.

Cheers

We only speak about those that are like that....Dont take us too seriously...We certaintly dont.

I think it was more a general feeling of a general tendency...not that there arent loyal fans. Im biased, but there is a general condensus that the winnipeg fans are among the more supportive ones anyway.

So about not having a huge game....not a huge one but the kid is sick. That release:amazed::amazed:
He is at 0.75 ppg. Pretty damned good for a 19 year old rookie playing about 15 mins per game.

45 seconds in.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I'm sorry I just can't help myself: But....

...It seems to me that there's some nuances to be added to the discussion of loyalty towards players in NA sports. There's no doubt that NA sports fans are less player-loyal and more organization-oriented than Danish sports fans.

But in regards to how this little community - myself included - treats Danish NHL players there seems to be little contrast to the NA culture of sports fans.

To illustrate(Sorry to be focusing on you Nucks. We - myself included - do it. This example was just the easy one to find)

From

...not calling anyone abust. but when a offense starved team starts scoring and Boedker is not getting points, maybe he just isn't that good. Rieder, Domi, Duclair all look better from pure eyetest.

And yes I know its only 5 games on, so alot can change, but I have felt like this for a while with Boeds.

to:

Lets hope so, because you should check out the Yotes GDT, he is getting fried.

They are ready to leave him in Ottawa... I don't think he deserves them being so rough..

You could make the case, that time can make almost everybody seem either naive or disloyal :)

That got me thinking about the other common conception on here - The biased discontent that flows from the Anaheim fans(And sometimes the organization... or is the theory out the window?) towards Andersen.

I'm not one to visit the Anaheim board regularly so perhaps I got lucky... Small sample size and all... But here's the first exchange I found on Andersen in the first thread(Roster discussion) I opened.

Sorry to derail or interrupt the conversation. Has there been any talk of bringing up Gibson? I haven't seen many of you guy's games, so I can't say whether goaltending has been a problem or just team play in general. Thanks in advance!

No, Andersen isn't the problem, and they're not going to want to lose either guy to waivers, and it's unlikely that they'll carry 3 goaltenders on the roster with all the D injuries they're having.

Can't blame goaltending when this team is literally averaging less than a goal per game.

No plans to do that. Freddie's not the issue.

I just looked. Andersen has a SV% of .938 and a GAA of 1.86. For goalies with 4+ games, those numbers are 5th and 6th respectively.

What place was he in before last night? 1st or 2nd?

It seems that there are at least nuances to the narrative that Anaheim fans on HF Boards(And perhaps the organisation it self) have turned their backs on Andersen because they want Gibson instead :)

With that out of the way...

Every Danish player in the NHL have scored after less than eight games. That has to be some sort of record. Add to that - every Dane has between four and six points. It seems that the first couple of weeks have only narrowed the race for the Danish Art Ross :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Cheers

I'm sorry if my post came forward to mean all NA fans, which wasn't my intent. I should specify that a probably dominant portion of the HF board fan are "agitators and whiners" as you call them.
I was really shocked going into an Arizona forum and see like 5-6 guys bashing Shane Doan before anyone stepped into say something positive about him.
Man he is a "relic" for Arizona - even if he doesn't produce a lot anymore so long he is not a liability for the team he should get credit for the many years of toil and receive a contract even if he only would play 4th line. If you are a smaller team your greatest problem will be to keep good players from moving elsewhere. The only signal you can send to prevent this leeching is "that we honour our longterm members and don't only think about money".
If players starts to notice this current trend among fans, then why give a **** about lesser teams, if they are just as exclusively trophy and money focused as the elite teams.

A bit the same with Frans Nielsen that stayed on a (back then) hopeless team and even accepted a cheap contract for the sake of the team. When fans then shout "trade him while he still has some value" it really showed a total disregard of all kind of loyalty. Frans wants to play for Islanders, probably even it is as 4th line center and a smaller paycheck if it has to be so, before he returns to Europe.

From football (soccer) comes a story about loyalty where its hard to find one better then midfielder Matthew Le Tissier.
Played all his pro-career in Southampton and singlehandedly kept them up season after season. Had he changed club he would have played more than 8 caps for England, but when you love your club that's how it is and why he is "Le God" in Southampton.

Few football players can match this sheer number of highlight goals and yet he is unknown to modern people because he was loyal and didn't play and win for any of the big clubs!
Scored on 47 out of 48 penalties!! 161 goals in 456 matches for Southampton as a midfielder!
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjgL0YIXUg
(How to beat Schmeichel 3.02 min).

He received Athletic Bilbao's inaugural "One Club Man Award" earlier in 2015:
Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-legend-matt-le-tissier-5599177

It seems to me that there's some nuances to be added to the discussion of loyalty towards players in NA sports. There's no doubt that NA sports fans are less player-loyal and more organization-oriented than Danish sports fans.
I think you are spot on there Bank. In that kind of thinking, there is no room for the individual, as "the organization must go on"!
I my my opinion this outlook is basically flawed as organizations are comprised of people and their individual merits will affect the organization.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I'm sorry I just can't help myself: But....

...It seems to me that there's some nuances to be added to the discussion of loyalty towards players in NA sports. There's no doubt that NA sports fans are less player-loyal and more organization-oriented than Danish sports fans.

But in regards to how this little community - myself included - treats Danish NHL players there seems to be little contrast to the NA culture of sports fans.

To illustrate(Sorry to be focusing on you Nucks. We - myself included - do it. This example was just the easy one to find)

From

to:

You could make the case, that time can make almost everybody seem either naive or disloyal :)

That got me thinking about the other common conception on here - The biased discontent that flows from the Anaheim fans(And sometimes the organization... or is the theory out the window?) towards Andersen.

I'm not one to visit the Anaheim board regularly so perhaps I got lucky... Small sample size and all... But here's the first exchange I found on Andersen in the first thread(Roster discussion) I opened.

It seems that there are at least nuances to the narrative that Anaheim fans on HF Boards(And perhaps the organisation it self) have turned their backs on Andersen because they want Gibson instead :)

With that out of the way...

Every Danish player in the NHL have scored after less than eight games. That has to be some sort of record. Add to that - every Dane has between four and six points. It seems that the first couple of weeks have only narrowed the race for the Danish Art Ross :)

I think there is a huge difference between saying what I did, and what was said in the thread I mentioned.. But ill let you see for yourself.

Also a big difference between a fan of the yotes and a non fan.

Im not really interested in getting into tje discussion, I just noticed a few Danish players getting a little too much flack.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Frans starting to heat up now as well. Two goals tonight. And Freddie is carrying a s...o.. into the 3rd period. :)

Two assists for Bødker tonight, so after a slow start where Jannik Hansen was the one carrying the torch, they're all playing quite well as of late...

Paaske

Apr 10, 2013
Copenhagen
Their defense is as bad as it was during the playoffs last season , and now their offense is lacking too . Something has got to change for em and fast . I think either freddie or Gibson could get traded.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Their defense is as bad as it was during the playoffs last season , and now their offense is lacking too . Something has got to change for em and fast . I think either freddie or Gibson could get traded.

They need to free up cap space to trade for anyone and Ducks don't really have anyone they could trade like that so even packaging a goalie with someone else seems extremely unlikely.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
He just did it again:amazed::amazed: 4 game point streak, 3 game goal streak.

Yeah Ehlers the only Dane with something to show last night with defeats all around the board, except for the Montreal-Vancouver match, where a "Danish" victory was secured. Vancouver ended Montreal's win-streak.
Anaheim lost again, though leading 3-0 after the first period, but choking 3-4 - Andersen was in goal.
No points for Bødker, Eller or Hansen.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yeah Ehlers the only Dane with something to show last night with defeats all around the board, except for the Montreal-Vancouver match, where a "Danish" victory was secured. Vancouver ended Montreal's win-streak.
Anaheim lost again, though leading 3-0 after the first period, but choking 3-4 - Andersen was in goal.
No points for Bødker, Eller or Hansen.

But still a pretty good start to the year all things considered...

We probably should create a database or something so we can track how the danes are producing as a whole compared to the same point the previous season....:popcorn:

It at least feels like a good start this year...The addition of Ehlers could make this the best season in terms of total points produced by Danes.

Ducks might keep losing but Andersen plays really well.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
But still a pretty good start to the year all things considered...

We probably should create a database or something so we can track how the danes are producing as a whole compared to the same point the previous season....:popcorn:

It at least feels like a good start this year...The addition of Ehlers could make this the best season in terms of total points produced by Danes.

Last year we did had three early Danish hattricks (Bødker, Nielsen and Hansen), so only Bødker with one this year and a double by Frans Nielsen.
But overall production is quite good this year!

As Ehlers would produce more than Regin - overall with 5 healthy forwards it should be the case.

Otherwise a fantastic goal by Frans Nielsen last night - one of the very best of his career! [a backhand off course]
Also an assist to Ehlers.
Frederik Andersen with good save-% again, but Anaheim lost 1-2. 92,3% and still no wins :amazed:
No*points for Eller or Hansen.

Close race for the quest to be best Danish producer:
Frans Nielsen 4G 4A
Nikolaj Ehlers 4g 4A
Mikkel Bødker 4G 3A

Lurking Norwegian - Zuccarello 4G 2A.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Frederik Andersen with good save-% again, but Anaheim lost 1-2. 92,3% and still no wins :amazed:

Maybe so, but Andersen has to be the most inconsistent starting goalie in the entire NHL. He plays dream goaltending for 58 minutes every game and then has his moments where he plays with his head under the arm. I just dont get him. Again last night against St. Louis he plays really well and then lets in an extremely soft goal where the puck bounces of the wall behind the goal and hits Andersen. We see this game after game and it can not just be bad luck. It happens at least every other game that some weird **** goes on that costs a goal.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Maybe so, but Andersen has to be the most inconsistent starting goalie in the entire NHL. He plays dream goaltending for 58 minutes every game and then has his moments where he plays with his head under the arm. I just dont get him. Again last night against St. Louis he plays really well and then lets in an extremely soft goal where the puck bounces of the wall behind the goal and hits Andersen. We see this game after game and it can not just be bad luck. It happens at least every other game that some weird **** goes on that costs a goal.

One way to look at it is the average amount of goals each game, that is acceptable for an NHL quality goalie to let in every game. Then you look on how many goals your forwards are expected to score in average. Then you tally expected points.....

So to make a quick evaluation on expected GPG for goalies (off course the number of shots they face each night is also very important; but if we are calculating for expected wins and loses for the team this is probably the way to go). You need around ~10 matches for proper form evaluation.
Elite performing goalies are < 1,5 GPG
Great performing goalies are 1,5-2,0 GPG
Good goalie performance between 2,0-2,5 GPG.
Average goalie performance between 2,5-3,0 GPG
Struggling goalie performance > 3 GPG

Frederik Andersen is so far 2,05 PPG.
Rinne has 1,74, Lundqvist 1,98, Quick 2,0 and Price 2,01.
So Andersen is not very far behind great goalies and in front of Miller with 2,16 & Schneider 2,22.

So then we take average number of goals scored by the team:
High scoring team:
Montreal has 45 goals in 12 matches = 3,75 GPG
- they would in theory win a lot more matches that they would lose even with an average goalie (2,5-3,0) in the net.
- yet they have Price with 2,01 in 8 matches and Condon 1,50 in 2 matches (not fully updated info)

Average scoring team:
Chicago has 24 goals in 11 matches = 2,18 GPG
- Crawford is 1,76 in 8 matches, Darling 2,51 in 2 matches (not fully updated info).
- here is swings more 50-50% with wins and losses.

Low scoring team:
Anaheim has 10 goals in 10 matches = 1 GPG
Conclusion almost no matter what goalie they had in the net (you need a goalie under 1 GPG) they would still lose almost all matches.
- Andersen's 2,05 is actually really good goalie standard (but not elite) and actually close to Carey Price.

If Andersen miss an easy goal every game, he then makes up with it by making difficult saves to keep it around ~2 GPG.
Some goalies are like that, other are rock solid but rarely make outrageous saves.
It might be important for fans, but for estimated point calculations it is pretty irrelevant how saves and goals are made.

Bright side:
"Easy goals" let in is something that can be corrected and improved upon (better positioning or training to avoid lapses in concentration).
Making spectacular saves are a bit harder to teach.

Another point: Unless it is a direct drop, what is an easy goal??
Goals can look "easy", but if its a shot the goaltender didn't see because of traffic, then it really doesn't qualify.
Neither will most deflections qualify as "easy" even if they bounce on the goalie funnily and ends up going into the net.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Otherwise quiet Danish night in the NHL.
1A for Mikkel Bødker, but not points for Eller or Hansen.

Mikkel Bødker, Frans Nielsen and Nikolaj Ehlers are all 4G 4A now!

The lurking Norwegian - Zuccarello - made his first career hattrick in NHL and goes past the Danes with 7G 2A.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
With John Tavares being out (sick?) it was up to Frans Nielsen to play 1. line center.
After a bad start from NY Islanders vs New Jersey (getting behind 0-2) their elite performing special teams kicked in. Islanders scored on one of their two PP and later Frans Nielsen added a great SHG tying it to 2-2 making it essentially -1/3 for New Jersey's PP (safer for them to play 5-vs-5).
The match went into shootout, where Frans Nielsen scored (barely), by tricking Schneider with a new move from him. Islanders ended up losing the shootout, but Frans Nielsen's form is really peaking currently.

Winnipeg won against Columbus 3-2, but no points from Ehlers and he "only" had 4 shots on goal!
Bring it back up to 5 and it might go in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad