Post-Game Talk: Culture beats Hapless Caps, 5-2!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I did not get to watch the game. Bustslovsky looked great on the recap, but how did we play overall? Was the score indicative of the play or were we hanging on for deal life?
Like many players after extended time off he started slow and was out of sync until the 3rd. Most of us noticed it and commented on it. By the 3rd he was back to the same player we all saw over the past 25 games or so.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I went to validate, but this is the Habs first win with more than 1 goal since December 22 against Chicago (same score). January was such a cluster...

Reactions: zx81

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Came into tonight 29th in center points. Is now in a four way tie for 22nd but has more games than those other players (significantly more games than Hughes.)

I don’t know if those other players played tonight or not.
Of those ahead: Pettersson, Reinhart, point, barzal, verhaege, and possibly more play wing. Only Robert Thomas has a comparably bad supporting cast.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Of those ahead: Pettersson, Reinhart, point, barzal, verhaege, and possibly more play wing. Only Robert Thomas has a comparably bad supporting cast.
There are only 32 number ones in the league… and some of them are injured or haven’t played as many games. Nick has good linemates and no competition for them.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
5E1vtbs.gif
Love it!! You can see when he looks right, he is smiling at Rehabs!!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Remember when people were saying they didn't see the tools Slafkovsky had to be an offensive player.

His playmaking has flashed high end all year long and this last game you saw a glimpse of what he could be as a finisher.. the toe drag release, the bomb one-timer.

There's talent there to scratch near PPG if he can keep improving.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Remember when people were saying they didn't see the tools Slafkovsky had to be an offensive player.

His playmaking has flashed high end all year long and this last game you saw a glimpse of what he could be as a finisher.. the toe drag release, the bomb one-timer.

I found the playmaking flashes were there in his rookie season as well. He'd rush the pass because his timing just wasn't there, but it was clear that he saw the plays and openings before they even developed. His brain was on step ahead in terms of making plays.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned about his play is his poise. He's very calm with the puck, like Kucherov is calm with the puck. Slaf can't slow the play down like Kuch can, but he has that same no panic passing pucks into open areas.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Well there is the speed quotient that MSL & Hughes have both stated they want their teams to be known for. The vets including Monahan didn’t exactly enable the speed game..
Agreed 100%. I had said about a week ago that it seems the more players we lose (to injury or trade). The better the team seems to play. I know it was Washington, who aren't what I'd consider to be a good team. Too many here were waiting for the team to come crashing down. We're still not a contender, or even playoff bound. But I think this team will definitely be involved in some "spoiler" situations.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Positive things can actually happen, when a bunch of players who have grinded together in the A, can get their shot together in the big show. I know, a ton of people don't think he is ready yet, but I would really like to see Mailloux get a 3-4 game stint to see where he is at.

Players that are less talented can overcome that gap, when they play for eachother and as a team.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It's interesting how the team looks better without a washed 31 yr old with no more speed and no size and his -21...
Who happens to make 6.5M the next 3 years to boot...
As much as he's dropped off. I can't bring myself to slam a player who has given his heart and soul to the CH. I do agree though, his time has come to an end. It's hard for me to watch him. The effort is still there, but the body just doesn't allow him to do it anymore.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's interesting how the team looks better without a washed 31 yr old with no more speed and no size and his -21...
Who happens to make 6.5M the next 3 years to boot...
The pregame chatter, guys were going on about the worst lineup they have ever seen??
Must not remember the Juha Lind, Sergei Zholtok days I guess.......
As for Gally, it's a shame he has become possibly the worst NHL player in the league..............heart and soul guy yes, getting it done guy, NO.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
This is so reminiscent of the Koivu years. I can’t believe our only PPG player in the 2000’s has been Kovalev once.
True, but Koivu years had nowhere near the same amount of promising prospects.

Reactions: BLONG7

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The flashes were few and far between last season and it was obvious the game was going too fast for him.
I was one who said he wasn't showing much play making ability because he wasn't.
I was also one who brought up his first NHL goal (which was a beauty) as an indicator there was good stuff in him.
This year was night and day and going back in his thread and the GDT's you will find who was acknowledging his progression and who wasn't.
In typical HFHabs fashion people were more interested in being right than swallowing a few feathers.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The pregame chatter, guys were going on about the worst lineup they have ever seen??
Must not remember the Juha Lind, Sergei Zholtok days I guess.......
As for Gally, it's a shame he has become possibly the worst NHL player in the league..............heart and soul guy yes, getting it done guy, NO.
My first Habs game ever in Vancouver, Miloslav Guren scored the only Habs goal.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
As much as he's dropped off. I can't bring myself to slam a player who has given his heart and soul to the CH. I do agree though, his time has come to an end. It's hard for me to watch him. The effort is still there, but the body just doesn't allow him to do it anymore.
I don’t see any heart and soul from him anymore and I haven’t seen it for years. I think he’s frustrated that he’s basically untradable because of his contract and is just going threw the motions on top of his physical decline. It’s sad to watch.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t see any heart and soul from him anymore and I haven’t seen it for years. I think he’s frustrated that he’s basically untradable because of his contract and is just going threw the motions on top of his physical decline. It’s sad to watch.
He is headed for the 4th line, and 7-9 minutes in icetime.........that is all we have left for him, and his bloated paydays....

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad