Post-Game Talk: Culture beats Hapless Caps, 5-2!

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Just curious, i hear Gignac works hard…do you think this passion can carry over in the NHL, or is he only an AHL player?

Way too early to tell. Being trusted with 15 minutes of ice time against the Washington Capitals at centre is a good start. Montreal has had a lot of guys who have proved hard work can get you from undesirable to, well, not undeniable but at least in an NHL roster. Glen Metropolit, David Desharnais, Paul Byron, Dale Weise, etc.

His biggest advantage is his speed. If he can stay fast and get smarter with the puck against advanced competition he might earn a spot on the club. If he doesn't? It only cost a roster spot.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I don’t see any heart and soul from him anymore and I haven’t seen it for years. I think he’s frustrated that he’s basically untradable because of his contract and is just going threw the motions on top of his physical decline. It’s sad to watch.
That's why I said "Given his heart and soul". At this point in his career, he really doesn't have much left to give. You see spurts where you think he's still got it. Sadly they've now become few and far between.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Like many players after extended time off he started slow and was out of sync until the 3rd. Most of us noticed it and commented on it. By the 3rd he was back to the same player we all saw over the past 25 games or so.

the highlights looked like we were hanging on a bit a lot of the time and Monty kept us in, hard to tell from the clips.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The flashes were few and far between last season and it was obvious the game was going too fast for him.
I was one who said he wasn't showing much play making ability because he wasn't.
I was also one who brought up his first NHL goal (which was a beauty) as an indicator there was good stuff in him.
This year was night and day and going back in his thread and the GDT's you will find who was acknowledging his progression and who wasn't.
In typical HFHabs fashion people were more interested in being right than swallowing a few feathers.
I believe most in here wanted Slaf to hone his skills in the minors but turns out staying at the NHL level was the right decision. It’s not always a hard and fast rule as development is not linear.

A main area of concern was how he was leaving himself vulnerable to incoming hits and was not sufficiently aware of game situations, getting sent to the dark room a few times. That seems to have gotten better this season.

He’s really started to pour it on, not from the start of this season but sometime in the first half and it hasn’t let up since. That’s such a welcome step up as the sky’s the limit for him and it’s still so early in his career.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
60 pt pace for Slafkovsky over the last 20 games.

For year 2 in the league, at 19, that's a pretty great pace to be on. If he finishes the year between 35-50 pts, I think we could all be very happy with that especially if we pace for when the switch 'flipped'.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They had a really good crop of prospects towards the end of koivu's run in Montreal.
All busted and were out of the NHL within 4-years of his departure from Habs - Komisarek, Higgins, AKos, SKos, D’Agostini, O’Byrne…. only the last pick of the 2003 draft carved out an NHL career qualifying for longterm pension bonus (Halak)

Reactions: Habs10Habs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
60 pt pace for Slafkovsky over the last 20 games.

For year 2 in the league, at 19, that's a pretty great pace to be on. If he finishes the year between 35-50 pts, I think we could all be very happy with that especially if we pace for when the switch 'flipped'.
Close to 40 points for a big guy ay 19 is pretty damn rare honestly. If he can do that it's going to be very positive. And it's not only about the point he is already dominant physically despite not having the muscle of a full grown adult yet. I played hockey enough to know that at the same size guys under the age of 21 are easier to move than guys in their prime at 24+.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All busted and were out of the NHL within 4-years of his departure from Habs - Komisarek, Higgins, AKos, SKos, D’Agostini, O’Byrne…. only the last pick of the 2003 draft carved out an NHL career qualifying for longterm pension bonus (Halak)
There was also Grabovski, McDonagh, price subban, and pacioretty towards the end of his tenure.

Some promising guys will bust in this crop of prospects too. That's just part of it.

Reactions: salbutera

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Pearson at this point is simply a body to help ice a roster. He carved himself out a decent career, was part of a Cup champion but he is done. I truly wish him well.
Not sure if anyone comes calling to have that 13th -14th player for a run, but ya no one is giving him a contract next season, can't see it happening.

Reactions: Tyson

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Somebody ought to call the cops on Montembeault cause he's steeling points that son of a bitch.
Another strong game from him,if not for him it would not have had that outcome.
Still remember all those saying he was a nothing but he keeps proving them wrong.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Somebody ought to call the cops on Montembeault cause he's steeling points that son of a bitch.
Another strong game from him,if not for him it would not have had that outcome.
Still remember all those saying he was a nothing but he keeps proving them wrong.

I didn't believe in him at all.. but he keeps adding more and more to his game.

He will eventually get usurped but in today's goaltending landscape, the Habs at least have a competent tandem goalie.

Reactions: Rapala

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Kovasevic leads the Habs with a +8. Quietly doing a decent job.
And at the same time getting dumped on from
Gallagher isn't a big loss. Team is better without him.
That is not saying much,the game was lifeless. Montreal still has 30 games left and if this game was representative of the rest of the season,it will be a tough watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00