Crosby leapfrogs Lemieux in all-time playoff points

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Not bad given the different eras.
And the fact that Mario was a god damn martian who arrived on this planet with Wayne to play galactic hockey at just the right time.

I'm genuinely shocked Sid is so far up that list. Considering his injuries and the Bylsma years, it's incredible

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
And vice versa. Two-minute shifts, no helmets, heavy equipment, and jailhouse style violence? Crosby would be out on a stretcher in Game 1.

"Common sense" my ass. Luckily for you, you are not on the History of Hockey page. You would be laughed out of the building.

Tom Kuhnackel would put up 100 points a season in the 50s.

Reactions: Grandma Bingo

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
-Its funny you should say that. Since the USSR crushed Canada in the Olympics and other major competitions. From 1952 to 2002, an even 50 years, Canada didnt win 1 Olympic Gold Medal

- If anyone wants a laugh at 1950's hockey and Gordie Howe, you can watch the video below

Dat OT goal though

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
-Its funny you should say that. Since the USSR crushed Canada in the Olympics and other major competitions. From 1952 to 2002, an even 50 years, Canada didnt win 1 Olympic Gold Medal

- If anyone wants a laugh at 1950's hockey and Gordie Howe, you can watch the video below

Jeez looks like pond hockey.

Didn't realize it was that bad. Always figured players now were a lot better than back then but I doubt these guys could beat a modern day AHL team. Even Junior hockey nowadays is played at a higher level.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
uh... No. He is not above Howe and will never be above Howe.
Well there is no doubt head to head he IS the better player. But you can't compare eras like that all the older guys would get washed in todays NHL

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Jeez looks like pond hockey.

Didn't realize it was that bad. Always figured players now were a lot better than back then but I doubt these guys could beat a modern day AHL team. Even Junior hockey nowadays is played at a higher level.
They can hardly skate- it barely looks like the same sport.

An NHL team today would probably score 30 against those teams.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And vice versa. Two-minute shifts, no helmets, heavy equipment, and jailhouse style violence? Crosby would be out on a stretcher in Game 1.

"Common sense" my ass. Luckily for you, you are not on the History of Hockey page. You would be laughed out of the building.

Stick to that section then. Where nothing evolves. Join the real world.

Apparently hockey is the only sport where players never get better.

Wolf Larsen

Jan 10, 2017
I don't play the time machine game in denigrating players of past eras but I do get a chuckle thinking about how Ovechkin's slapshot would be received by 50s goalies.

Actually, not so much a chuckle as a grimace imagining the disfigured faces of those poor chaps lying in the morgue.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I dare you to start a thread on the HOH with the exact wording in your first sentence and we will see what the response is.

Reactions: Beau Knows

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Similar production to Forsberg. The difference being that Crosby has tail end of his career left.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
There are people that will tell you players from the 20's are better than crosby. I lol whenever someone thinks Morenz was better.

Reactions: domaug

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Howe is no joke, that's for sure. Guy was winning with Betty White on his team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
-In a 6 team league, LOL

-Against All Canadian players, LOL

-Its time for a Matt Murray thread. Best playoff goalie of all time at this point. Undefeated in the playoffs
I don't get this 'against all Canadian players" argument that I see here from time to time.

You do realize Canada is kind of good at hockey right? and especially WAY better then players from anywhere else during much of gordies career.

Canadians were(as they still are) the best hockey players in the world at the time and the talent, which Canada was full of as everyone played hockey in Canada at that time (not just some of the upper middle class/rich) as they do today, was all concentrated on only six teams, it was the elite of the elite Howe was going against.

You make it sound like Howe was playing against players from botswana. If at that time Howe was playing against players from SwedenRussia,Czech,Finland, the U.S etc, his numbers would be even more ridiculous, he would have torn those foreign players apart, Canada was on another level entirely in those days.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There are people that will tell you players from the 20's are better than crosby. I lol whenever someone thinks Morenz was better.

Relative to era. Not in an absolute sense. Hockey (equipment too) is so much faster and better today. But you still have to consider all eras and make reasonable context adjustments when comparing across eras

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby is definitely compiling one of the "winningest" careers of all time in hockey.

He'll never be as talented as Lemieux but playoffs every year, 3 cups, international gold medals etc

Extremely impressive

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Only took him 45 more games also.

I don't think anyone thinks Sid is better than Mario

But it's funny when people bring up that Ovi has more points than Sid, yet has played in significantly more games that gets brushed aside for some reason.

Anything to denigrate Sid I suppose is the game that gets played on here

Reactions: domaug and 99664987

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
And that's Crosby's luck. He doesn't have to face first ballot Hall of Fame defensemen and goalies 24 times a season. If you think he would last a season in the 50s, you don't have a clue.

That’s as ridiculous as saying Crosby is better than Howe...

May 17, 2009
Maine
Since the History of Hockey has been brought up, I'll mention that over the last two years, I've noticed that arguments over there have gone from "Let's not give credit to Crosby for things he didn't do" (which is a very fair position) to essentially "Let's find ways to not give Crosby credit for things he did do". For instance, in a recent comparison of Beliveau to Crosby, Sid is dinged because he started in the NHL at age 18.

Sadly, I find that there is an overriding sympathy for O6 teams and more specifically the O6 era. The talent compression argument is something I find totally unconvincing. Yes there were good players in that era, but the notion that it was a league of all-stars just doesn't hold water for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad