Post-Game Talk: Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I've got a bridge to sell you

Ehh, it’s clearly going up outside of Covid version 2 striking the world. The players paid off their debt, everyone has said projections all look good.

First order of business should be buying out Goodrow.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Now you're talking.

The Rangers made "go for it" moves in 2019 banking that all their draft capital would be instant hits. That didn't happen and now they have a roster that's fine but not good enough, which is what they always had. And it's only fine because Panarin has honestly exceeded expectations.

Panarin quietly only has two more years left after this one. When that time comes it's time to think about rebuilding again.
I’m glad we can have these civil debates on here. I’m having a rough night at work dealing with dementia patients, alcoholics, drug addicts and this board is helping distract me at work right now.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Can’t even be bothered to move their feet for a full 60
This right here is a huge issue. There’s a seeming inability to be able to fight through obstruction and players taking away lanes and stuff. Like if everything isn’t wide open we’re unwilling or, more likely since it’s 3 coaches now, unable to fight through and we default to passive sagging back and we’re always on the back foot. Probably also why we probably give up so many rush chances.

You watch the other “top” teams in the league and they all push the pace and they’re always swarming their opponent. They fight through obstruction and find a way to establish pace and a forecheck and I know not all teams need to play the same way but we need to see more of that at times from this group. It’s just a big part of the game that is lacking big time.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I still can't believe Goodrow is being paid 3.6 million...What the f*** was Drury thinking???

Reactions: mas0764

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
“I don't think think Miller is irreparably soft or afraid of contact but this team's "always do the safe thing" vanilla ass culture has him in its grips. “

Nonsense he is just that soft and it’s pitiful with his size and talent. This team is way too easy to play against across the board

Ranger scouting needs to start to prioritize character and physicality over just finesse.
You need some meanness and snarl to win in playoff hockey sadly this Team is not constructed to win Playoff hockey.
Cuylle, Sykora, Berard, Othmann, and Edstrom all fit that mold. 1 is here, the others aren't far behind.

Blasds

Feb 15, 2020
Everyone knew it would be like this. Panarin's line doesn't score and the team loses. Nothing has changed in 3 years. Mika plays like crap. Is he getting up to speed too late? Great. See you later.

Reactions: mas0764

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
And I have to say… the one brilliant stroke that Gorton had was to blow it up before the entire roster was spent. He maximized his return in trades that way.

Maybe do it again.

I’m old enough to remember you complaining that Gorton didn’t get a return for Kreider. Gorton also was a mixed bag at best on his firesale trades. McD/Miller trade was God awful and the Nash trade looks like nothing special now, considering Lindgren is spent and Strome is gone. We’re still waiting on Kandre to take the next step.

A better argument could be made that Gorton should’ve stuck it out and just fired Vigneault instead of going full rebuild. JTM, Zucc, McD, Buch, Skjei would all be playing top roles for us to this day. Tough pill to swallow. Those guys grew up with leaders that cared about being Rangers, even with their faults. Not mercenaries like we have now.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I’m old enough to remember you complaining that Gorton didn’t get a return for Kreider. Gorton also was a mixed bag at best on his firesale trades. McD/Miller trade was God awful and the Nash trade looks like nothing special now, considering Lindgren is spent and Strome is gone. We’re still waiting on Kandre to take the next step.

A better argument could be made that Gorton should’ve stuck it out and just fired Vigneault instead of going full rebuild. JTM, Zucc, McD, Buch, Skjei would all be playing top roles for us to this day. Tough pill to swallow. Those guys grew up with leaders that cared about being Rangers, even with their faults. Not mercenaries like we have now.

JT Miller is literally quoted saying he needed to be traded twice to wake the f*ck up and become the bomb he is now. We gotta cut this shit out.

What we have now, you, I and everyone else in Rongoland has no earthly idea where Laf/Kak/Chytil(if he stays healthy)/Miller/Schneids will land.

I'm betting on the latter becoming the better group.

You say we could have stayed put for seven years and rode out that group ... Wish you and 'the others' had that patience with what we have now.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly that’s one of the more egregious losses this season. Absolutely putrid top to bottom.
Glad I missed that one. As a ranger fan, and a hockey fan in general, I’m familiar with dog days slump performances. Sounds like this is one those.

Slaydagnar

Oct 18, 2015
Vero Beach, FL
That's precisely what they did when they sent the letter out according to Gorton and it built this roster.

Prioritizing character and physicality usually just leads to acquiring players who hit a lot because they're behind the play.

Get good players and then teach them to play the right way.
Really ? That is nonsense you draft players that play physically and have skill it’s ingrained in their character and it’s way they play.

First thing new scouting department needs to do is a character check-which for the last two decades they have not done. You draft on character, finesse and what’s necessary to win playoff hockey snarl and physicality. You want more than a couple players that are on the edge and a bit scary and dirty- the messier, peca types that will do anything to win. I love the Peca hire. This has been the Ranger way for the last two decades.

You are dead wrong but keep kidding yourself.

I was at that putrid 4th game in Tampa a few years ago and saw my beloved team get out hit out sized and out willed by Tampa. In other words they kicked our ass once they figured being physical and nasty which is playoff hockey would beat us! Rangers folded like cheap seats they had the series in their pockets and lack of physicality and playing with grit lost them that series. Etched in my mind that failure. Tired of mediocrity for this organization.

This Team will soon be needed to rebuilt again from scratch. They are pitiful soft and have no chance of winning beyond the first round with the current make up and the core is aging badly.
Kreider, Zbad though talented are not the type of players to do what it takes to win and grind when the shit gets nasty in playoff hockey.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We play wide open and get burned by shit defense and goaltending. We play conservative and we don’t have the horses to manage goals.

Once the league caught on to focus on not turning it over against us and working us deep, we’re hapless.

The worst is after we finally get zone time for 30+ seconds somehow the opposition inevitably gets an odd man rush once they get the puck. On the other end, all we can do is flip it out, and barely that.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I complain that we didn’t try to get a return for Kreider given that he would have been the best player on the market that deadline, that the Islanders paid through the nose for Pageau, and that we could have, in theory, had a wink wink deal for him to return on the same contract after he was dealt. And especially infuriated when a vetted insider reported on what the return was gonna be from Dallas.

I do agree that the trading away of Milr/McDonagh and Buch were terrible returns. But we all knew that at the time, too. The Nash trade I still love.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I believe they will have to do it again...sooner rather than later....but they first have to overhaul their scouting department and then their organizational structure. They need to stop trying to build from the top. One of the things I hate most about teams like the Bruins and Pens is how they always have players on the farm and how they bring them up and insert them in the lineup without a worry. It's sickening!!! Rangers almost always have to make trades to accomplish the same thing.
Truth. It's sickening but also admirable what those teams do.

Reactions: majordomo

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Re: the cap, I’m generally pro owner but yeah something is fishy because that TV deal should have sent the cap skyrocketing and it never did. Now that escrow is repaid it should be skyrocketing at least.

I fart at $87m.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
We play wide open and get burned by shit defense and goaltending. We play conservative and we don’t have the horses to manage goals.

Once the league caught on to focus on not turning it over against us and working us deep, we’re hapless.

The worst is after we finally get zone time for 30+ seconds somehow the opposition inevitably gets an odd man rush once they get the puck. On the other end, all we can do is flip it out, and barely that.
Is it the league catching on though? It seems like a lack of effort from the Rangers, maybe the injuries and bottom 6 AHL roster is catching up. Igor's confidence is also shot.

When Mika was producing points he was still playing like crap, but because he was scoring we had two lines and would still win. Now that 1st line is useless so we're screwed.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's interesting re-Panarin because I expect Gabe Perrault to hit broadway right around the same time that AP's contract expires.

You'll have the older core; Mika, Kreider, Panarin all aging and possibly declining, while Adam Fox will still be in his prime with 4 good years left. Not sure what that looks like for a rebuild.

Who knows, maybe Igor turns things around and it's all sunshine and roses here come April. But the last stretch has solidified to me that the only chance this NYR team has at a cup would be getting lucky and having a big goaltending run in the postseason. You never know with goalies what you're going to get, so that might as well be a dice roll.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ehh, it’s clearly going up outside of Covid version 2 striking the world. The players paid off their debt, everyone has said projections all look good.

First order of business should be buying out Goodrow.
I'd rather send a 3rd or 4th rounder with him and not have his cap hit linger around, maybe theres a deal with Jones included that could be had for a player on an expiring contract. I'm done with buyouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino