Post-Game Talk: Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
this is like the best thing I ever read.
I try my best.

It's why I have no patience for grit and character discussions. Lots of people get it wrong.

If you can actually describe what's missing, show me how a given player does it, and it's not some emotional "I just want to see certain behavior" response, I'm open to it.

With rare exceptions, it usually isn't that. Brady Tkasuck is a perfect example. He does NOTHING that indicates engagement or effort during play. He's a "leader" because he makes a point of visible "roided up dumb jock" displays while never do anything to help his team win.

Kreider is actually effective at checking at the NHL level, and has adapted his game to do what the team needs within his power. That's why he's been out there for like 50 playoff wins while Brady's marshmallow ass hasn't played 50 seconds in the playoffs.

Meanwhile Kreider is indicative of our problems because he doesn't bite off heads and drink the blood.

If there's a problematic player, who just puts up points and otherwise can't be arsed, it's Zibanejad. Tkachuk would be more of that with less points.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He’s 13th in hits this year so I don’t see how he’s one dimensional. The after the whistle stuff I agree he’s gotta tone it down and pick his spots better. But give me piss and vinegar over the New York Quaaludes.
Piss and vinegar is useless if you don't do it during play, or something that resembles it during play. Tkachuk runs into guys plenty but he isn't that effective. He probably could be. He doesn't work on adapting his game because he's a baby.

Hitting and fighting doesn't make you not soft. Being a pro and doing what it takes to win makes you not soft. Brady Tkachuk doesn't have that. He's a spoiled brat that got a red carpet to the NHL.

If you think that department is an issue on this team, he's the opposite of what you want.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey was unstoppable for a cup of coffee last season.

Kreider-WhoCares-Cuylle was effective the other night.

I don't know why they've never tried sticking with Kreider on a line with other forecheckers and just letting them get the puck down low and never lose it.

This team could use a line like that.

Instead it's just Kreider taking his muffin shot down the left wing because that's all Zibanejad can set up.
Kreider always looks better away from Zibanejad. I mean yes scoring off the rush is important too, but especially when you are playing other top lines , which is magnified in a playoff series they get destroyed because they can’t maintain possession down low and make the other line play defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider always looks better away from Zibanejad. I mean yes scoring off the rush is important too, but especially when you are playing other top lines , which is magnified in a playoff series they get destroyed
This team still needs to add legit skill and be able to get chances off the rush without cheating, which you and I have been choir preaching at each other for two years, but that's another story.

This is what they have right now and there are better ways to utilize it.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
A special behind the scene look inside the locker room of Mika and Kreider

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I'm thinking it might be time for either Laviolette or Drury or both to break the First Commandment of Professional Sports Management and start publicly calling individuals out, naming names. Zibs definitely needs to have a hot poker shoved you know where and Trouba and Kreider could stand to have a few shots thrown at them as well. Like, it would be cool if Lavi/Drury made some sarcastic references to Zibs' DJ career or his restaurants.

If they don't like it, hey, you guys have NMCs, just tell us where you want to be traded to and we will bend over backwards to get your carcasses out of NYC.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Lafreniere eats paint chips at defense. He's 22 and we're better served letting him have some freedom. It's probably just something we have to deal with.
I agree but it would be a little better if he was putting more goals in the net to make up for it. THey do generate a lot of chances but neither him or Trochek are great finishers.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I agree but it would be a little better if he was putting more goals in the net to make up for it. THey do generate a lot of chances but neither him or Trochek are great finishers.
That is a problem. When you have arguably the best playmaker in the league playing with two guys who haven’t been good finishers. Not really sure what they could do about it.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I usually dont waste my energy getting aggravated by this team. But seeing what we’re seeing makes you have to be comatose not to react as a fan.

A massive regression
The lack of drive
The complete breakdown of the D coverage.
Zero net coverage in both zones.
The not reading plays.
Zero communication.
Blind passes into skates.
Shots from the point into legs.
Giveaways, giveaways, giveaways.
Skating like they have to take shit every shift.
Players with no offensive skill trying to carry it in.
Can someone throw a check?

I can go on. We all see and know the issues. We know what they’re capable of. They just look like a team thats learning a whole new system...again. Its January.
And I dont want to hear any cliche answers from the players. This one time break take a break from those talking points and show some heart. Get mad, act mad.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Trouba is a case study in what they value when it comes to playing the right way.

He throws things when the team plays bad, does big hits, and is generally a standup guy.

Today, when he needed minimal effort and a minimal understanding of fundamentals to prevent the winning goal, he stood there with his dick in his hand.

Drury didn't sign Trouba, it needs to be said, and Gorton's stink of "we're gonna do character but character is being an ape and skating slow" is still all over this team.
In all fairness, Miller brilliantly shot the puck right into the Caps player’s shins, when he should have shot it around the boards, resulting in a breakaway. Trouba was on his side of the ice and had to rush back to cover for Miller (as usual) — but that was never going to happen because of his (lack of) speed. In short: Miller is brain dead; Trouba is slow. Not a good pairing. Worse, you can’t teach IQ, and you don’t get faster at 30.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I usually dont waste my energy getting aggravated by this team. But seeing what we’re seeing makes you have to be comatose not to react as a fan.

A massive regression
The lack of drive
The complete breakdown of the D coverage.
Zero net coverage in both zones.
The not reading plays.
Zero communication.
Blind passes into skates.
Shots from the point into legs.
Giveaways, giveaways, giveaways.
Skating like they have to take shit every shift.
Players with no offensive skill trying to carry it in.
Can someone throw a check?

I can go on. We all see and know the issues. We know what they’re capable of. They just look like a team thats learning a whole new system...again. Its January.
And I dont want to hear any cliche answers. This one time break take a break from those talking points and show some heart. Get mad, act mad.
I see zero defensive IQ. When that is the case, when you’re dealing with dummies, just stand up at the blue line. We don’t have a Lidstrom or a Niedermeyer who knows when to pinch / shoot, without exposing himself defensively, so we shouldn’t we play as if we did.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Trouba throws hits and punches faces with the best of them. Aren't we all sick of him?

Matter of fact, a lot of Trouba's greatest hits of cool/funny incidents came in games we got walked in. Hell, earlier this year Cuylle had an amazing sequence where he destroyed somebody, won a fight, and drew two penalties. It came in probably our worst-played win of the season and we just kept right on playing like crap after it happened. The extracurricular shit doesn't accomplish anything. (Thankfully this is just a coincidence and Cuylle is a responsible player who understands how to forecheck in this league without being a moron).

Back to Trouba, the play he made on Oshie's goal was lazy. Sorry, but it was.

I believe he cares. I've never questioned his captaincy. His work in the community and his voice in the room are fine, that part I believe. That being said, his habits on the ice are lazy. Being a nice guy who cares about his teammates and is willing to get/play hurt doesn't make you not lazy.

At this level, you have to clean up certain habits. It's not fun, not stylish, and it's hard work. Trouba likes throwing big hits. Who doesn't? You destroy somebody and the crowd pops. It's a great time. If he can't line you up and destroy you, he couldn't be bothered. There's lazy habits all over his game and all over a lot of guys on this team.

Unlike somebody like Zibanejad or Tkachuk, Trouba isn't making up for it with raw talent to any extent, either.

Bonino is right in the same boat. He's willing to block shots. Good for him. He's still totally irresponsible, flinging the puck around the ice like he's Adam Oates. If he managed the puck, he might not be one of the worst 5v5 players in the league.

Totally stealing this from @DanielBrassard who has talked a lot about how effectively Pitlick moves the puck up the ice since he's been gone, despite having like, no talent. This team doesn't need piss and vinegar. They need more players able and willing to manage the puck.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I try my best.

It's why I have no patience for grit and character discussions. Lots of people get it wrong.

If you can actually describe what's missing, show me how a given player does it, and it's not some emotional "I just want to see certain behavior" response, I'm open to it.

With rare exceptions, it usually isn't that. Brady Tkasuck is a perfect example. He does NOTHING that indicates engagement or effort during play. He's a "leader" because he makes a point of visible "roided up dumb jock" displays while never do anything to help his team win.

Kreider is actually effective at checking at the NHL level, and has adapted his game to do what the team needs within his power. That's why he's been out there for like 50 playoff wins while Brady's marshmallow ass hasn't played 50 seconds in the playoffs.

Meanwhile Kreider is indicative of our problems because he doesn't bite off heads and drink the blood.

If there's a problematic player, who just puts up points and otherwise can't be arsed, it's Zibanejad. Tkachuk would be more of that with less points.
Yea I couldn't give a shit about hits and fights. Leading in the former often indicates you don't have the puck and the latter often start when the losing team decides to goon it up. I want to see sound positional hockey and a commitment to forechecking and backchecking. That's what wins games.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Trouba throws hits and punches faces with the best of them. Aren't we all sick of him?

Matter of fact, a lot of Trouba's greatest hits of cool/funny incidents came in games we got walked in. Hell, earlier this year Cuylle had an amazing sequence where he destroyed somebody, won a fight, and drew two penalties. It came in probably our worst-played win of the season and we just kept right on playing like crap after it happened. The extracurricular shit doesn't accomplish anything. (Thankfully this is just a coincidence and Cuylle is a responsible player who understands how to forecheck in this league without being a moron).

Back to Trouba, the play he made on Oshie's goal was lazy. Sorry, but it was.

I believe he cares. I've never questioned his captaincy. His work in the community and his voice in the room are fine, that part I believe. That being said, his habits on the ice are lazy. Being a nice guy who cares about his teammates and is willing to get/play hurt doesn't make you not lazy.

At this level, you have to clean up certain habits. It's not fun, not stylish, and it's hard work. Trouba likes throwing big hits. Who doesn't? You destroy somebody and the crowd pops. It's a great time. If he can't line you up and destroy you, he couldn't be bothered. There's lazy habits all over his game and all over a lot of guys on this team.

Unlike somebody like Zibanejad or Tkachuk, Trouba isn't making up for it with raw talent to any extent, either.

Bonino is right in the same boat. He's willing to block shots. Good for him. He's still totally irresponsible, flinging the puck around the ice like he's Adam Oates. If he managed the puck, he might not be one of the worst 5v5 players in the league.

Totally stealing this from @DanielBrassard who has talked a lot about how effectively Pitlick moves the puck up the ice since he's been gone, despite having like, no talent. This team doesn't need piss and vinegar. They need more players able and willing to manage the puck.
Well Trouba hasn’t gotten tough with anyone in a while now, he should start doing it again. At least he’ll be doing something .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany