TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Leafs and Islanders 2002 playoff series is an example where both teams just started to hate each other during each game, because that turned into a blood bath.

That series cost us a chance to go the Final that year. We got too beat up. And then we had Ottawa in the 2nd round, another grueling series without our captain and best player. There was nothing left vs Carolina. With Sundin for the whole playoffs that year, we go all the way.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
my thought exactly.
like there is a fan-history with Boston (playing them would be amazing)
the last game you could see seeds of not liking each other v. Tampa (also. I want to be the team that eliminates Tampa so badly) so that would be a good series.
if Montreal would get it's crap together-it finally gives us a Leafs v. Habs series though one of them would screw it up.

how it is now - makes it better for television and i think ignoring that is silly.
but thinking it would be better in the old way isn't right because um, hello, Pittsburgh isn't a slouch.
Hopefully the Leafs can win in regulation on Tuesday against Tampa to make it a higher chance of playing them in the first round.

Although as I type this right now Tampa is defeating Edmonton 3-1 in the 3rd period and chances are they will be 4 points up on the Bruins for 1st place in the Atlantic.

However a Tampa win today means they officially clinch a playoff spot, so maybe they won't try as hard knowing that against Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That series cost us a chance to go the Final that year. We got too beat up. And then we had Ottawa in the 2nd round, another grueling series without our captain and best player. There was nothing left vs Carolina. With Sundin for the whole playoffs that year, we go all the way.
I always thought how unfortunate it was that when Sundin returned against Carolina for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals the Leafs started to lose, because at that point they were up 1-0 in the series.

Even when Sundin tied the game late in the 3rd period of Game 6 I said the Leafs are winning in overtime and will win Game 7.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
but you are missing the point that in any other format - they are playing good team anyway and can bounce out anyway. there are no weak teams anymore.

I don't even see how it's artificially manipulated. you can have good series and not have a hate on, or you can have one and it will. "organically" like you mean... playing each other?.

like it really reads to me that you are upset that we don't get to play the Penguins in the first round vs. Tampa or Boston. like. let's stop and take a think on that one. If we play Boston. it would be difficult. if we play Tampa, it would be difficult. if we play Pittsburgh it would be difficult. regardless of the seeding, it would be difficult. Why because people want parity and salary caps.

the good teams do get home ice.

This is some of the most ass eyed reasoning I've ever read

You seed this thing on regular season records or you don't but the 2nd and 3rd teams in the Atlantic having to play each other in the first round no matter what is so stupid it's beyond belief

The regular season counts except when it doesn't because "reasons"

I find it funny how the good teams get home ice except that's bull because we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the East but don't because the draw and seeding has been screwed with

Woops

Why seed at all on the regular season? Let's do it on jersey colors or how were feeling at the time because we're playing someone good anyway so who cares about the 82 game regular season

OK Daisy give me one good reason why the 93 point Leafs play the 98 point Bruins in the first round without home ice when the 87 point Penguins play the 83 point Flyers with home ice? That #3v#4 and #5v#6 by the way

Best of luck arguing that

Last edited:

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
On topic, I'd rather Tampa than Boston because our style is more effective against them IMO. I want no part of Marchand's BS in the playoffs, when the refs can and will look the other way as he breaks every rule in the book (see 2011).

Slightly off topic, the argument for changing the playoff format is that having a good regular season is supposed to reward you in the playoffs, not have the 2nd vs 3rd teams in the conference face off in the first round, and have the 1st team meet that winner in the 2nd round. That's a poorly designed system, where you're guaranteed to lose a top 3 team in the opening round, and guaranteed to lose #1 or #2/#3 in the second round. If you're Tampa or Boston, you're also mad about your "reward" for finishing first or second in the east. The current playoff structure penalizes strong divisions and rewards weaker ones with its seeding structure, which is totally counter-intuitive.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I could be mixing it up with Andersen being 11-1 against them, thought I heard it a while ago then saw someone respond with this stat.
We are 8-4 against them in our last 12. Also Andersen is 10-1 against them life time not 11-1. Mcelhinney beat them in November.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is some of the most ass eyed reasoning I've ever read

You seed this thing on regular season records or you don't but the 2nd and 3rd teams in the Atlantic having to play each other in the first round no matter what is so ****** stupid it's beyond belief

The regular season counts except when it doesn't because "reasons"

I find it funny how the good teams get home ice except that's bull**** because we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the East but don't because the draw and seeding has been ****** with

Woops

Why seed at all on the regular season? Let's do it on jersey colors or how were feeling at the time because we're playing someone good anyway so who cares about the 82 game regular season

so how is it ass eyed, kiwi? like, maybe instead of being super sarcastic (which i mean, bravo. good game there, you know i don't mind snarky) and slightly rude. you can try to explain it, because i'm literally not understanding why you are upset.

How it is now.

President Trophy - gets home ice. congrats.
Division Winner - for the most part, get home ice. congrats.
everyone else slots.

Why does that not count?

The way i see it if you want a "reward" here's an idea. win your division or be 2nd. if you are third, guess what you don't have to worry about being a wild card and having like five teams breathing down your back. that's an reward

If we were to seed the way you want it. "yippee skippy, we have home ice... against Pittsburgh." so where exactly is the 'reward" in that, if that's what you are wanting?

to me it literally doesn't matter because whatever the argument (which is generally speaking people always have an issue with the playoff format. Mine was that division had home ice regardless of points which sucked because you had examples like the Leafs having more points than carolina, but Carolina had the division why? because the division sucked).

There is so much parity, regardless of the seeding, you're facing a good team. so in your Nadal vs. Fed example, they are beating up weaker players before the get to the show. That's how the NBA is. like there is a a total line between who is gonna win and who does not.

For the most part, in hockey sure you have your favourites-but everyone is so close -does it matter if it was 1 to 16 (which by the way, Washington would have played NSH last year and would have l-o-s-t. badly) or 1 to 8(which this is an adaptation of, and how it was in the 80's someone told me i could be wrong) where we meet Pittsburgh, or we do it this way where we don't have home ice and still face a good team.

if you want a "reward" be the best two teams in your division.
if you're third have better points + row. and you move on.
i'm truly flummoxed on why you think the regular season doesn't matter.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
On topic, I'd rather Tampa than Boston because our style is more effective against them IMO. I want no part of Marchand's BS in the playoffs, when the refs can and will look the other way as he breaks every rule in the book (see 2011).

Slightly off topic, the argument for changing the playoff format is that having a good regular season is supposed to reward you in the playoffs, not have the 2nd vs 3rd teams in the conference face off in the first round, and have the 1st team meet that winner in the 2nd round. That's a poorly designed system, where you're guaranteed to lose a top 3 team in the opening round, and guaranteed to lose #1 or #2/#3 in the second round. If you're Tampa or Boston, you're also mad about your "reward" for finishing first or second in the east. The current playoff structure penalizes strong divisions and rewards weaker ones with its seeding structure, which is totally counter-intuitive.

okay. but what division can you say is benefiting from this?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It should be
#1 plays #8
#2 plays #7
#3 plays #6
#4 plays #5

Why should it be?

I agree with @The CyNick

top 4 in each division make it

win your division
win your conference
win the Cup

Some years it'll be harder to win the division than others. Last year the Metro would have been tougher, this year the Atlantic may be tougher.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
In my opinion it doesn't really matter who we face, we are going to have to beat the best eventually. The thing about a 7 game series is its all about who can adapt throughout the series.

I don't think Boston can handle our speed though. All 4 of our lines attack in waves with speed, as long as we can keep the Marchand line in check, we should be fine.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
so how is it ass eyed, kiwi? like, maybe instead of being super sarcastic (which i mean, bravo. good game there, you know i don't mind snarky) and slightly rude. you can try to explain it, because i'm literally not understanding why you are upset.

How it is now.

everyone else slots.

Why does that not count?

The way i see it if you want a "reward" here's an idea. win your division or be 2nd. if you are third, guess what you don't have to worry about being a wild card and having like five teams breathing down your back. that's an reward

If we were to seed the way you want it. "yippee skippy, we have home ice... against Pittsburgh." so where exactly is the 'reward" in that, if that's what you are wanting?

to me it literally doesn't matter because whatever the argument (which is generally speaking people always have an issue with the playoff format. Mine was that division had home ice regardless of points which sucked because you had examples like the Leafs having more points than carolina, but Carolina had the division why? because the division sucked).

There is so much parity, regardless of the seeding, you're facing a good team. so in your Nadal vs. Fed example, they are beating up weaker players before the get to the show. That's how the NBA is. like there is a a total line between who is gonna win and who does not.

For the most part, in hockey sure you have your favourites-but everyone is so close -does it matter if it was 1 to 16 (which by the way, Washington would have played NSH last year and would have l-o-s-t. badly) or 1 to 8(which this is an adaptation of, and how it was in the 80's someone told me i could be wrong) where we meet Pittsburgh, or we do it this way where we don't have home ice and still face a good team.

I believe once the Conference Finals start home ice is decided by who had more points in the regular season. Let's say the season ended today and Toronto was to play Pittsburgh in the Conference Finals, they would have home ice since they have more points and it won't matter that they finished 3rd in the Atlantic, where as Pittsburgh is 2nd in the Metropolitan.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Seems when we play Boston. Bergeron is usually the best player on the ice. When we play Tampa, Stamkos is rarely the best player on the ice. Give me Tampa.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

That's a good point. Boston will be allowed to get away with murder in the playoffs, like they did against us in 2013.

Tampa's also been playing poorly since the New Year. Can they get it back together? Probably, but at this point I'd rather face them than the Bruins.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

How it is now.

everyone else slots.

Why does that not count?

I'm still waiting for one good reason a team with 6 less regular season points than us gets home ice against the #6 seed?

Look at this from Bostons pov, there miles better than Pitt get close on 15 more points and play us a 93 point team while Pitt gets home ice against Phili who are 10 points worse than us

Congratulations on your awesome regular season now go **** your self "because"

I don't give a rats about who we play but we certainly deserve home ice over Pitt for our significantly better regular season who we should be playing in the 1st round

Why should it be?

I agree with @The CyNick

win your division
win your conference
win the Cup

Some years it'll be harder to win the division than others. Last year the Metro would have been tougher, this year the Atlantic may be tougher.

No way should 4 teams be gifted spots just because there in a certain division

Win and get enough points or miss, this isn't a charity it's professional sports

If Florida misses this season they have nobody to blame but themselves and they shouldn't be gifted a spot if they have less points than Carolina or Columbus

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Why should it be?

I agree with @The CyNick

win your division
win your conference
win the Cup

i guess according to kiwi, that your regular season meant something.
i would have thought, you know. making the playoffs, was reward enough, but i guess not.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
okay. but what division can you say is benefiting from this?
The Metro is this season, the 5th place team in the conference gets home ice advantage in the first round while the 3rd place team doesn't have home ice advantage and matches up against #2. Just make it 1 through 8 and screw the divisions, playoff seeding should be merit-based, not geographical.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Going to have to beat them both in all likelihood. I am not sure it matters which one you have to play first. If you want to win, you have to beat the best.

It does totally suck though that the top three teams in the conference are in our division... imagine how worried Tampa and Boston are though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad