TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What are their chances against Boston?

Optimist: Better than even. The Leafs have owned Boston in the regular season the last two years, Toronto has better scoring depth, and Boston’s super-two-way C Patrice Bergeron is currently injured. If he’s less than full-power, Toronto is an excellent bet to win.

Pessimist: Yes, when has Patrice Bergeron ever played through injuries in the playoffs? The Bruins lead the league in CF% at 5v5, and they’re second in xGF%. They have probably the best top line in the league Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, and they have actual scoring depth to back it up with now. Charlie McAvoy is a great young defenceman, too, and Zdeno Chara is still somehow effective despite being older than God.

Optimist: You wanna talk about scoring depth? The Leafs are going to have a 30-goal scorer on each of their top three lines again this year. That’s not considering dynamite playmaking RWs in Mitch Marner and William Nylander, both of whom have way more points than anyone not on the Bruins’ first line. Don’t tell me Danton Henein is a real scoring talent and don’t tell me I need to be scared of the remains of Rick Nash. The Leafs have the firepower.

Pessimist: And the right side of the Leafs’ defence group is currently, uh, Hainsey, Polak and Carrick. Pick your poison.

Optimist: Rielly and Gardiner will get the puck up, Dermott is blossoming, and we’re going to have enough puck support to get the puck to the forwards.

Pessimist: And the Bruins have former Leafs draft pick Tuukka Rask!

Optimist: YOU CANNOT TORMENT ME WITH THAT TRADE ANY LONGER. The Leafs have a better goalie than Rask now. It’s done. Freddie has been damn near the best goalie in the NHL since November started. We are ready to rock.

Pessimist: If Freddie is healthy. And I haven’t even talked about Auston yet.

Optimist: He’ll be back in plenty of time. Probably grateful for the extra rest. He’s going to dazzle.

Pessimist: Ah, the Bruins injuries are going to debilitate them, but our injuries are basically a vacation. Awesome.
I know this stat won't mean a lot because it's from the regular season, however it should be said that Andersen does have an 11-1-0 career regular season record against the Bruins and that includes his time in Anaheim. I feel that's something Button and the media in general should mention if Toronto ends up playing Boston.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree, I'd rather not see a 1-16. I think trying to play a full balanced schedule is tough (although easier today than it was years ago) but ultimately its the only way to eliminate the 'unfairness'.

Unless everyone plays everyone else an equal amount of times, there's no way to really seed them properly as you have played different levels of competition throughout the season. While the NBA schedule does take this into account, ultimately those in the West are still going to play a tougher schedule.

I personally enjoy the divisional format, but do not at all like the wild card. I enjoy rivalries and think they make the playoffs more exciting. Many times in the past with the 1 -8, many series were throw away series where you really had no interest if you werent involved. To me, seeing Toronto- Boston, Toronto- Buffalo, Toronto- Ottawa, New York - Long Island, Pitt - Washington, Pitt - Philly, LA - Anaheim, Battle of AB, hell even the potential Winnipeg - Minnesota is intriguing.

If not that, I would prefer a full 1-16, even with the uneven schedule.

Fair enough. I think I prefer a full 1-16 but I get where you're coming from - rivalries can be cool. It's gonna really suck though if our division has several consecutive years with 3 teams over 100 points. It looks like TB is going to be good for a while and so are we so have to hope for BOS to fade away and I don't think that's happening in the near future either.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Like in 2002 when the 91 point Hurricanes got home ice against the 95 point Devils while the 100 point Leafs got the 96 point Isles instead?
Unless the NHL eliminates divisions altogether and goes to a full 82 game equal schedule there is always going to be inequalities.

And why are you stopping at 1v8? Why not go full 1v16?

The only issue with 1-16 is the travel but in theory I'd prefer that set up

In the East it should be 1-8, I don't see what's wrong with using an 82 game regular season to seed the teams, it's the best way by a mile

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm not really scared of either team to be honest. They won't be easy series by any means but we have a good chance against anyone in this league right now with our depth at forward and strong goal tending. We match up well with the Bruins and could expose Chara with our speed in a seven game series and Vasilevskiy is turning in to a pumpkin at the wrong time for Tampa.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know the current Leafs team is completely different to their 2013 team that played Boston in the 2013 playoffs. So forgetting about the ending to Game 7 let's remember prior to that series a lot of the media and Bruins fans especially said it would be Boston winning in 4 or 5 games because they dominated the Leafs in the regular season and how Chara would contain Phil Kessel. Obviously those things never happened, so I think this Leafs team might not get the same respect if they play Boston once again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They were like that before they started winning titles.
I remember when the Blue Jays advanced to the 2016 American League Championship Series they were either going to play Boston or Cleveland. I wanted it to be Cleveland because I can't stand any Boston sports team when they win, especially at that time since David Ortiz was going to retire and it was nothing but a love fest for him from the American media. So when they got eliminated I was very happy.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I remember when the Blue Jays advanced to the 2016 American League Championship Series they were either going to play Boston or Cleveland. I wanted it to be Cleveland because I can't stand any Boston sports team when they win, especially at that time since David Ortiz was going to retire and it was nothing but a love fest for him from the American media. So when they got eliminated I was very happy.
I went to two playoff games that year. So much fun. Red Sox fans are so obnoxious, well before they won anything they were insufferable. They always tried to pretend the Yankees bought titles when in reality that's exactly what they did too and still do. I used to go to Jays/Sox games, I avoid it now.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Craig Button can say all he wants. His opinion is meaningless to Leafs fans. As he said so much bull crap that nobody can take him seriously anymore.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You seed it like every other league with a playoff format in the world, or a major championship like Tennis

If you have an 8 team conference format
#1 -#8
#2-#7
#3-#6
#4-#5
And the better regular season teams get home ice

The idea is that the better regular season teams play each other in the later rounds of the playoffs and not bounce each other early

There's a reason why Nadal and Federer don't play each other in the first couple of rounds at the US open

By your reasoning once the playoff teams are decided we may as well just draw names out of a hat like 82 regular season games no longer count for anything

You can't artificially create rivalries by manipulating the playoff draw, let it happen organically

You mean like MLB which doesnt have that format or NFL which also doesn't have that format?

NHL has a divisional format with WCs to appease the imblance in the number of teams per conference. Plan is to move to full divisional format with play in when Seattle comes in.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You mean like MLB which doesnt have that format or NFL which also doesn't have that format?

NHL has a divisional format with WCs to appease the imblance in the number of teams per conference. Plan is to move to full divisional format with play in when Seattle comes in.

MLB has a wildcard play in game which is a massive disadvantage and the NFL has the top 2 teams getting byes then #3-#6 #4-#5 if I remember correctly (I only really follow hockey of the major NA sports)

The ridiculousness of this current format is the 98 point #3 seed Bruins will play the 93 point #4 seed Leafs in the first round while the 87 point #5 seed Penguins get home ice against the 83 point #6 seed Flyers

How is that rewarding the Bruins for there significantly better regular season? By rights they should get home ice against the 83 point #6 seed Flyers

We're playing a tough opponent either way we just won't get home ice like we should in a #4-#5 matchup but a team like Boston is being completely screwed with this setup

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leafs are 7-1 in the last 8 games against them. I would call that owning.
Will the overrated Bruins get another injury? They are injury prone experts.
Lol at overrated. They are better than us for sure. They aren't overrated at all. Watch their games will ya. They apply so much pressure on you and make your defence turn over the pucks in the d zone. That's Toronto weakness. Also their injured players are gonna be well rested for he playoffs so it's not totally a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad