TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If the NHL used the 1-8 format Toronto would be playing Philadelphia in the first round if nothing changed in the standings.

However when they used the 1-8 format there was also 3 divisions where the 1st place team in them got the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seeds depending on who got the most points in that order. So using that logic Toronto would not be a #3 seed, although it could also work with just the 2 divisions they have today.

Leafs would play Pitt because you would assume Tampa and Wash get 1-2 seeds for winning their divisions like they used to do in the 3 division format.

Then guys like you would be whining about playing Pitt and that Wash gets a garbage wild card team when we have more points. I'm guessing you're a millennial. If not, you sound like one.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs would play Pitt because you would assume Tampa and Wash get 1-2 seeds for winning their divisions like they used to do in the 3 division format.

Then guys like you would be whining about playing Pitt and that Wash gets a garbage wild card team when we have more points. I'm guessing you're a millennial. If not, you sound like one.
Where exactly did you get that idea? I just stated how things use to be when the NHL used the 1-8 playoff format and how the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams were determined.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Personally, I'd prefer a 1-16 system straight. Best 16 teams in the league gets to the playoffs, and they are seeded in that order. Nothing else should enter into it.

Nah. To win the cup, you need to beat four teams. Who these four teams are can make a huge difference.

1-16 is fine, it just requires a compete overhaul to the schedule to have a balanced schedule. Or at least close to it.

Way to go! If you're only path to the Cup is to draw an inside straight of garbage teams, youre not a real Cup contender. I don't fear any team in the playoffs. I think we can hold our own in a seven game series against any team. So I don't care what order the teams come at us.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Where exactly did you get that idea? I just stated how things use to be when the NHL used the 1-8 playoff format and how the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams were determined.

It "used to be" that there were 3 divisions per conference. Division winners would get top 3 seeds. Currently there are two divisions. If we're going back to the old playoff structure, one would assume division winners would get top two seeds.

If you're saying you wish we had 3 divisions per conference, there are more teams now, so the divisional structure would be different, and schedules would be different, so who knows what the standings would be.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1-16 is fine, it just requires a compete overhaul to the schedule to have a balanced schedule. Or at least close to it.
Yeah that's true. I saw you reference how Washington beat up on their division, and that's a legitimate factor here.

Way to go! If you're only path to the Cup is to draw an inside straight of garbage teams, youre not a real Cup contender.
Quite the misinterpretation there. This has nothing to do with what I said, which is that the idea of who you get to face doesn't matter because you need to beat them anyway is false, because you don't have to face more than a select group. And who that team is makes a difference, unless you want to argue that all playoff teams are the same.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It "used to be" that there were 3 divisions per conference. Division winners would get top 3 seeds. Currently there are two divisions. If we're going back to the old playoff structure, one would assume division winners would get top two seeds.

If you're saying you wish we had 3 divisions per conference, there are more teams now, so the divisional structure would be different, and schedules would be different, so who knows what the standings would be.
I never said I wish there was 3 divisions per conference. I just said that's how it was up until the 2012-2013 season and I also said the 1-8 format could also be used with the 2 divisions they have today.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah that's true. I saw you reference how Washington beat up on their division, and that's a legitimate factor .
I think you could easily roll the current regular season in to 1 vs. 16 playoff format. It's not a perfectly balanced regular season schedule, but none are.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yeah that's true. I saw you reference how Washington beat up on their division, and that's a legitimate factor here.

Quite the misinterpretation there. This has nothing to do with what I said, which is that the idea of who you get to face doesn't matter because you need to beat them anyway is false, because you don't have to face more than a select group. And who that team is makes a difference, unless you want to argue that all playoff teams are the same.

You can't compare them. Each series is just one team against another. On paper it can look one way, but then you get between the boards and it's a different thing than was thought by "experts" and fans alike.

How many people had Ottawa being a post away from the Cup Finals? How many had Nashville in the Finals? Most teams likely would have been happy to draw Ottawa, but turns out they were a tough out. It comes down to matchups. Some teams matchup better than others. Some teamst have great series one roundr and then run out of gas the next You just never know until the series happens.

I've watched enough Stanley Cup Playoffs to know there is no guessing who will who a tough series. Where I want to see the Leafs go, I anticipate having four tough series. I can't say with certainty which teams will give us the toughest go, so I'll just say I'll knock out whoever gets out in front of us.

But that's my mentality in life. Other people look for shortcuts, or handouts, or just give up if a path looks difficult. So I get why some people don't see it like me.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I never said I wish there was 3 divisions per conference. I just said that's how it was up until the 2012-2013 season and I also said the 1-8 format could also be used with the 2 divisions they have today.

And if they used the 1-8 format, then Leafs would play Pitt given the way the schedule is balanced towards more games within division.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think you could easily roll the current regular season in to 1 vs. 16 playoff format. It's not a perfectly balanced regular season schedule, but none are.

You can do 1-16 with an unbalanced schedule, but then you have to reward division winners with top seeds. Otherwise, what's the point of having divisions? And if you didn't do that and had a straight 1-16, people in tougher divisions would complain that their team has fewer points because they have more games against tougher teams.

When fans want to look for something to complain about, that will find something. Better to just man up about it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Personally, I'd prefer a 1-16 system straight. Best 16 teams in the league gets to the playoffs, and they are seeded in that order. Nothing else should enter into it.

Nah. To win the cup, you need to beat four teams. Who these four teams are can make a huge difference.

however. with parity. (whooo). they are all pretty good.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You can do 1-16 with an unbalanced schedule, but then you have to reward division winners with top seeds. Otherwise, what's the point of having divisions? And if you didn't do that and had a straight 1-16, people in tougher divisions would complain that their team has fewer points because they have more games against tougher teams.

When fans want to look for something to complain about, that will find something. Better to just man up about it.
Divisions would help with regular season rivalries and travel costs, same as now. I wouldn't be opposed to division winners being the top 4 seeds or at least getting home ice, similar to the old 3 division format.

I think you're right fans will complain regardless, so you accept you can't please everyone and you put the best system you can in place. 1-16 makes sense to me.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It would be pretty damn sweet to exact revenge for 2013 on the Bruins. That alone would be a perfect season for me, what happens in the 2nd round after that wouldn't matter to me.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It would be pretty damn sweet to exact revenge for 2013 on the Bruins. That alone would be a perfect season for me, what happens in the 2nd round after that wouldn't matter to me.
I said it before and I will say it again. If Toronto plays Boston that's the last demon they need to conquer. I always thought things changed for the better once Brendan Shanahan got hired and the changes he made lead to a lot of good karma.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I said it before and I will say it again. If Toronto plays Boston that's the last demon they need to conquer. I always thought things changed for the better once Brendan Shanahan got hired and the changes he made lead to a lot of good karma.

I'd argue the last demon they have to conquer is getting into the 4th round and winning a cup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
however. with parity. (whooo). they are all pretty good.
Perhaps. But it's the difference between winning 6 out of 10 series against a Philly team versus 4 out of 10 against Tampa (if they get back on track in time for playoffs) so it should be a scenario where teams work for 82 games to improve those odds.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
the bruins scare the shit outta me
i rather have anyone else, maybe not the pens
but like anyone else
bruins are scary af
not to mention vs the bruins its gonna be 12-43-47 again and that line is a mess

Reactions: bluetib

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This seems like the hot take going around these days, but it makes no sense to me. Why is a divisional playoff format no good, but a conference structure okay? How about a league wide 1-16? In either of those scenarios you would assume division winners get ranked 1,2 (3,4).

We would end up matched up against Pitt right now. Is that any better? At least divisional playoffs you feed rivalries, and yeah it sucks for some teams in the first round, but tough balls. You want to win the Cup, you gotta beat everyone in front of you. Man up about it.

Why in the hell do we have a 82 game regular season which decides who makes the playoffs then not use it to seed the teams properly?

Yes we should be playing the #5 seed Penguins as the #4 seed not the #3 seed Bruins in the first round

The whole you've got to beat the best thing is a bull**** argument, you may as well pick names out of a hat and scrap the who regular season once the playoffs roll around then

I thought you were a you're a got to play the best guy so why do you want seeding for #1-#16 all of the sudden?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Divisions would help with regular season rivalries and travel costs, same as now. I wouldn't be opposed to division winners being the top 4 seeds or at least getting home ice, similar to the old 3 division format.

I think you're right fans will complain regardless, so you accept you can't please everyone and you put the best system you can in place. 1-16 makes sense to me.

The reason 1-16 will never happen is it's brutal for travel and TV. That's why I'm supportive of the divisional playoff structure. You guarantee representation from all four corners of the continent in the final four and you increase the odds of teams playing each other year after year, which makes for better series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad