TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
MLB has a wildcard play in game which is a massive disadvantage and the NFL has the top 2 teams getting byes then #3-#6 #4-#5 if I remember correctly (I only really follow hockey of the major NA sports)

The ridiculousness of this current format is the 98 point #3 seed Bruins will play the 93 point #4 seed Leafs in the first round while the 87 point #5 seed Penguins get home ice against the 83 point #6 seed Flyers

How is that rewarding the Bruins for there significantly better regular season? By rights they should get home ice against the 83 point #6 seed Flyers

We're playing a tough opponent either way we just won't get home ice like we should in a #4-#5 matchup but a team like Boston is being completely screwed with this setup
The league cares more about making money than fairness. I don't see that changing.

The average fan stops watching when their team is out. Rivalries, like we have with the current format is the league's solution to getting more eyeballs on the screen.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The league cares more about making money than fairness. I don't see that changing.

The average fan stops watching when their team is out. Rivalries, like we have with the current format is the league's solution to getting more eyeballs on the screen.

It doesn't really work like that though

It takes years of playoff hatred to develop that and it's almost impossible to manufacture

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It doesn't really work like that though

It takes years of playoff hatred to develop that and it's almost impossible to manufacture

not really. like. someone mentioned it.
the Leafs + Islanders met up once, and I hated them. like couldn't stand them. they couldn't stand us, it was a vicious series... then of course, the Islanders sucked, then we sucked and there it went. but but it didn't need years of playoff hatred. it just needed the Islanders (and then us) not sucking for a decade plus.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
the Leafs + Islanders met up once, and I hated them. like couldn't stand them. they couldn't stand us, it was a vicious series... then of course, the Islanders sucked, then we sucked and there it went. but but it didn't need years of playoff hatred. it just needed the Islanders (and then us) not sucking for a decade plus.

I remember that series Daisy but teams don't play with the same level of filth and nastiness that gets the hatred flowing over one series

It just seems to happen and I don't think manipulating the draw will change that especially if teams don't make the playoffs year on year and face the same teams consistently

Honestly if we played the Penguins this year and it turned into an absolute war and then we saw them in the playoffs the next few years that could be a great rivalry without any messing with seedings

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I read this and thought whaddya mean once? Then I realized I'm old. :laugh:

I remember so well when we upset NYI in the 1978 quarters with Lanny McDonald scoring the game 7 OT winner, that along with Gilmour's magic in 1993 are still my top two Leaf memories. Then, perhaps more relevant to the discussion of playoff seeding I remember in 1981 we played NYI again in the 1st round when the playoff matchups were done full 1 vs 16. NYI was #1 of course, we were #16 and the 3 game series was possibly the most one-sided I have ever seen with the final scores of 9-2, 5-1 and 6-1. Yikes! It was cool though, the #1 team deserved an easy matchup and I also remember another intriguing match-up was the young EDM Oilers vs the recently dethroned former MTL Dynasty. MTL as the #3 seed was heavily favoured over the #14 Oilers but not only did EDM win, they disposed of the Habs in 3 straight games, fun stuff! Not sure but I think that was Gretzky's first ever playoff series win.

What I like a lot about 1 vs 16 is that it's a lot fairer then what we have now, it just sucks to finish 6th overall (or even higher) and probably have to face a top 3 team in round 1. Then there's the intrigue of possible round 1 matchups which often wouldn't be decided until the very end of the season. The only downside is the theoretical lack of rivalries but I don't see that as a big deal, that hatred that we all love :laugh: can develop super fast. And if you play a 7 game series against some "strange" team, that just might develop a lasting rivalry which would be a good thing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we just need to develop the mentality of a champion: steamroll anyone we play, 8th seed, 16th seed, the division leader, conference championship, more experienced, better on paper, doesn't matter.

I love the way the Leafs are trending and I hope they prove to be the Chicago of the litter compared to Tampa's Vancouver or Boston's LA, or what have you. Doesn't matter. Just kick everyone's ass.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think we just need to develop the mentality of a champion: steamroll anyone we play, 8th seed, 16th seed, the division leader, conference championship, more experienced, better on paper, doesn't matter.

I love the way the Leafs are trending and I hope they prove to be the Chicago of the litter compared to Tampa's Vancouver or Boston's LA, or what have you. Doesn't matter. Just kick everyone's ass.

LA won two Cups in their window.

As a Bruin’s fan, I would be pretty happy with that.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Craig button is an idiot from his time in Calgary let Martin stlouis go for nothing. He should never be allowed to manage a team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad