TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think it matters either way

They both have their strengths and it will be quite the test with either team

Last edited:
Reactions: Tak7

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because the travel would create a lot of problems if we just did a free for all, like jet lag and time zone difference as well as increased costs. At least with the conferences that aspect is somewhat limited. And to your point about not playing each other equally, the difference is literally one game more against most divisional opponents, and two games more against 2 of those teams, compared to rest of the conference. That's not exactly a startling difference.

In terms of NBA they actually give a lot of thought to strength of schedule and creating balance in scheduling. You rarely see nonsense like multiple back to back games or 5-in-7 type weeks.

How the NBA Schedule is Made | NBAstuffer

I agree what the NBA is doing may be the best solution. You still have issues like when the East has been really weak yet there is still an Eastern team in the final but all things considered, it's hard to say what would be better. 1 vs 16 maybe?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Me neither. You could argue all day and night (and I'm sure people will do just that) but in the end they're both super strong teams. I just hope Matthews gets back to close to 100% and that Zaitsev is available to us and back in some sort of form when the playoffs start.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Me neither. You could argue all day and night (and I'm sure people will do just that) but in the end they're both super strong teams. I just hope Matthews gets back to close to 100% and that Zaitsev is available to us and back in some sort of form when the playoffs start.

Yup it's tough to say who they match up better with and the regular season record against either team means nothing.
Hopefully Andersen gets/stays hot because the Leafs tend to allow a lot of scoring chances

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Because the travel would create a lot of problems if we just did a free for all, like jet lag and time zone difference as well as increased costs. At least with the conferences that aspect is somewhat limited. And to your point about not playing each other equally, the difference is literally one game more against most divisional opponents, and two games more against 2 of those teams, compared to rest of the conference. That's not exactly a startling difference.

In terms of NBA they actually give a lot of thought to strength of schedule and creating balance in scheduling. You rarely see nonsense like multiple back to back games or 5-in-7 type weeks.

How the NBA Schedule is Made | NBAstuffer
The NBA is actually a perfect example of why conferences still don't eliminate the ''unfairness". Why is it ok for a 8th place western team who has a significantly better record than say the 4th place East team to have to play the best team in the NBA? 1v8 conference seeds still end up with 'unfair' situations.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The NBA is actually a perfect example of why conferences still don't eliminate the ''unfairness". Why is it ok for a 8th place western team who has a significantly better record than say the 4th place East team to have to play the best team in the NBA? 1v8 conference seeds still end up with 'unfair' situations.

That's a good argument for going 1 vs 16 in the playoffs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just curious, kinda off topic,

Seeing how Tampa clinched a playoffs spot and we're not really that far behind them, anyone know how to figure out our "magic number" is to clinch a playoff spot?

PositionTeamMagic # PtsMagic # GMs
3rd AtlanticFLA105
WC1CBJ105
WC2NJD94.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: The Apologist

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

They both have their strengths and it will be quite the test with either team

Agreed.

I have both teams ahead of the Leafs, and favorites in any playoff series against Toronto with home ice.

But it's going to be an incredible learning experience for this group

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Devils, Flyers, Panthers are all tough teams, I don’t think it would be easier against them, would probably hurt more to be upset anyway. Get past the Bruins and I think the team will have the confidence to go pretty deep.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed.

I have both teams ahead of the Leafs, and favorites in any playoff series against Toronto with home ice.

But it's going to be an incredible learning experience for this group

Plus we might win. :)

Devils, Flyers, Panthers are all tough teams, I don’t think it would be easier against them, would probably hurt more to be upset anyway. Get past the Bruins and I think the team will have the confidence to go pretty deep.

Strongly disagree, TB and BOS are much tougher to beat than these teams.

Reactions: glue

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think TB is definitely tougher than NJ, PHI, FLA, but I think we have proven that we match well against Boston.

Reactions: glue

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think TB is definitely tougher than NJ, PHI, FLA, but I think we have proven that we match well against Boston.

I made my summer Vegas bet on TB for the Cup, so I thought they were the Cup favourite before the season, so not sure I like the Leafs having to face them in round #1.

However I think the Leafs line up better on player personnel and playing style to the Lightning as opposed to the Big Bad physical Bruins.

TB and Leafs are both built in speed, skill and not necessarily size .. Players like Tyler Johnson, Brayden Point and Yanni Gourde are more like Marner, Nylander and Kapanen etc and it be more like a track meet than a physical battle.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It really doesn't matter whom they face in the first round. If they were to beat one they would likely have to face the other next anyway. The Leafs aren't looking to win a round and bow out so it truly makes no difference who they face first. They want to beat them both anyway.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If we make it to the second round it is likely that we would just be playing the other team so order is somewhat irrelevant in the end.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What are their chances against Boston?

Optimist: Better than even. The Leafs have owned Boston in the regular season the last two years, Toronto has better scoring depth, and Boston’s super-two-way C Patrice Bergeron is currently injured. If he’s less than full-power, Toronto is an excellent bet to win.

Pessimist: Yes, when has Patrice Bergeron ever played through injuries in the playoffs? The Bruins lead the league in CF% at 5v5, and they’re second in xGF%. They have probably the best top line in the league Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, and they have actual scoring depth to back it up with now. Charlie McAvoy is a great young defenceman, too, and Zdeno Chara is still somehow effective despite being older than God.

Optimist: You wanna talk about scoring depth? The Leafs are going to have a 30-goal scorer on each of their top three lines again this year. That’s not considering dynamite playmaking RWs in Mitch Marner and William Nylander, both of whom have way more points than anyone not on the Bruins’ first line. Don’t tell me Danton Henein is a real scoring talent and don’t tell me I need to be scared of the remains of Rick Nash. The Leafs have the firepower.

Pessimist: And the right side of the Leafs’ defence group is currently, uh, Hainsey, Polak and Carrick. Pick your poison.

Optimist: Rielly and Gardiner will get the puck up, Dermott is blossoming, and we’re going to have enough puck support to get the puck to the forwards.

Pessimist: And the Bruins have former Leafs draft pick Tuukka Rask!

Optimist: YOU CANNOT TORMENT ME WITH THAT TRADE ANY LONGER. The Leafs have a better goalie than Rask now. It’s done. Freddie has been damn near the best goalie in the NHL since November started. We are ready to rock.

Pessimist: If Freddie is healthy. And I haven’t even talked about Auston yet.

Optimist: He’ll be back in plenty of time. Probably grateful for the extra rest. He’s going to dazzle.

Pessimist: Ah, the Bruins injuries are going to debilitate them, but our injuries are basically a vacation. Awesome.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Are the Bruins the big bad Bruins? They have Backes up front but he's not exactly equipped with speed, and he's hurt. Marchand runs around but so does Kadri. They have some size on the blueline but I don't see how they are some bad physical matchup for the Leafs.

Marner has 13 points in 8 games the last two years vs them. His lack of size doesn't look to be a problem.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That's a good argument for going 1 vs 16 in the playoffs.
It is, but again only with a balanced schedule where nobody has any perceived advantage. I'm not opposed to 1v16. I'm opposed to 1v8. If we're going for the argument that we need to have a real seeding to fairness why stop halfway?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is, but again only with a balanced schedule where nobody has any perceived advantage. I'm not opposed to 1v16. I'm opposed to 1v8. If we're going for the argument that we need to have a real seeding to fairness why stop halfway?

I don't see any perfect solution. The problem with a balanced schedule is that I doubt anyone wants it, my guess is that more Leafs fans like playing teams like Montreal, Boston etc. more than 2-3 times a year and other fans bases would also like to play some teams more than others.

If we take the NBA system but have 1-16 when the playoffs start, that looks pretty good to me. There's still the issue of the 9th place team in the West missing the playoffs despite being better than say the 5th best team in the East. The seedings also wouldn't be spot on if one conference was stronger but I think they'd be pretty close so the impact of that is minimal. On the other hand, the 9th best team in the West is a huge longshot to win the title anyway and you give the teams that do make the playoffs a fair shake. In this format there's a really good chance of the best 4 teams making it to the final 4 and also enables fans to see more games against their traditional rivals during the season. Like I said, no system is ideal but this seems better than what we have now - if the Leafs were to finish 4th overall (a possibility) but only 3rd in their division, that would guarantee that the top 4 teams don't even make it to the quarterfinals which is just terrible.

What would you like to see - do you think the system in place now is the best of all possibilities?

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I think travel is one of the main reasons why a 1-16 playoff format will never be agreed upon by the NHL.

Leafs are going to have to beat both Tampa and the Bruins. It sucks but it'll make for an exciting few weeks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Leafs want to have playoff success then they will have to go through both teams eventually due to the playoff format.

So the order may not matter all that much.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think travel is one of the main reasons why a 1-16 playoff format will never be agreed upon by the NHL.

Leafs are going to have to beat both Tampa and the Bruins. It sucks but it'll make for an exciting few weeks.

They did have 1-16 before but I think you're right, even in this era of private jets etc., travel is definitely a consideration.

If Leafs want to have playoff success then they will have to go through both teams eventually due to the playoff format.

So the order may not matter all that much.

There's always the chance that whichever team we don't play gets knocked out by someone else so it's still good for us to face the easiest team first, other than that this is true.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One thing I like about the current playoff format is that 2 vs 3 within each division in the first round hopefully could lead to fresher matchups in Rounds 2 and 3.

Regarding the thread topic, we'll have the better regular season record vs Boston, but it's tough to predict whether that matters much/at all come playoff time. It's at least a positive thing, and a win against Tampa tomorrow will leave us with an even record against them.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't see any perfect solution. The problem with a balanced schedule is that I doubt anyone wants it, my guess is that more Leafs fans like playing teams like Montreal, Boston etc. more than 2-3 times a year and other fans bases would also like to play some teams more than others.
I agree, I'd rather not see a 1-16. I think trying to play a full balanced schedule is tough (although easier today than it was years ago) but ultimately its the only way to eliminate the 'unfairness'.

If we take the NBA system but have 1-16 when the playoffs start, that looks pretty good to me. There's still the issue of the 9th place team in the West missing the playoffs despite being better than say the 5th best team in the East. The seedings also wouldn't be spot on if one conference was stronger but I think they'd be pretty close so the impact of that is minimal. On the other hand, the 9th best team in the West is a huge longshot to win the title anyway and you give the teams that do make the playoffs a fair shake. In this format there's a really good chance of the best 4 teams making it to the final 4 and also enables fans to see more games against their traditional rivals during the season. Like I said, no system is ideal but this seems better than what we have now - if the Leafs were to finish 4th overall (a possibility) but only 3rd in their division, that would guarantee that the top 4 teams don't even make it to the quarterfinals which is just terrible.
Unless everyone plays everyone else an equal amount of times, there's no way to really seed them properly as you have played different levels of competition throughout the season. While the NBA schedule does take this into account, ultimately those in the West are still going to play a tougher schedule.

What would you like to see - do you think the system in place now is the best of all possibilities?
I personally enjoy the divisional format, but do not at all like the wild card. I enjoy rivalries and think they make the playoffs more exciting. Many times in the past with the 1 -8, many series were throw away series where you really had no interest if you werent involved. To me, seeing Toronto- Boston, Toronto- Buffalo, Toronto- Ottawa, New York - Long Island, Pitt - Washington, Pitt - Philly, LA - Anaheim, Battle of AB, hell even the potential Winnipeg - Minnesota is intriguing.

If not that, I would prefer a full 1-16, even with the uneven schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->