Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Matt Dumba to a 1 year, 3.9M contract

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
With Soderstrom, I feel like he either breaks out and becomes a top 4 dman this season or he completely flames out and gets traded early for spare parts. I don’t see much in between

His style is so incongruous to the kinda players BA likes and the identity the team is starting to build. He’s not gonna impress anyone with his size or speed and he definitely isn’t gonna get the benefit of the doubt from anyone. He’s gotta have a huge training camp.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Barring any new deals we're about to see what having your entire D in a contract year looks like.
Four of these are young RFA's, so no big deal. I doubt any of the UFA's will be back, the only one that might is Dumba. Hopefully one or two will be ready for the jump, and if not there is always the UFA or trade route.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
With Soderstrom, I feel like he either breaks out and becomes a top 4 dman this season or he completely flames out and gets traded early for spare parts. I don’t see much in between

His style is so incongruous to the kinda players BA likes and the identity the team is starting to build. He’s not gonna impress anyone with his size or speed and he definitely isn’t gonna get the benefit of the doubt from anyone. He’s gotta have a huge training camp.
I'm still waiting for a Soda - Hanafin trade.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Matt Dumba is not the piece that adds 20 points in the standings and a playoff spot.

But for a declining veteran to fill a roster spot and spend $4 million, I suppose they could've done worse.
How does he compare to 32 year old Patrik Nemeth? Because that's who he's replacing.
Barring any new deals we're about to see what having your entire D in a contract year looks like.
I'm just happy to have 6 actual NHL defensemen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Soderstrom hasn’t proved he’s too good for the AHL. I haven’t seen any break out performances by him at any level. He hasn’t earned an nhl job. He’s entitled to nothing. He’s got a two way deal and he’s waivers exempt. He can go to Tucson and finally show something.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
A look from the other side…. (and from another former Coyotes beat writer.)

If Dumba is pretty good at D still then that will relieve a lot of pressure on Moser/Valimaki. Feel like we will see plenty of Brown for penalty killing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Soderstrom hasn’t proved he’s too good for the AHL. I haven’t seen any break out performances by him at any level. He hasn’t earned an nhl job. He’s entitled to nothing. He’s got a two way deal and he’s waivers exempt. He can go to Tucson and finally show something.
BA had previously stated that Soderstrom was Tucson's best player last year, and after his call up, while shaky at times, he started to gain confidence was playing not to bad ending the season. I don't think anyone said he is guaranteed a NHL, rather he deserves a good look at training camp. Where he ends up is entirely up to him.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I don't disagree with this assessment, but AT seems like he's able to extract maximum value from each player. And it's a one year deal. Minimal risk.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Really great read. You can start to understand why Fischer was so important to the room if he had half of the qualities that are outlined here. I'm glad we replaced those intangibles that he brought and did it with adding not only Dumba but Zucker and Bjudstadt too. Reading this gives me the idea that this team will bleed for each other and may have the biggest "us vs the world" mentality in the league. I absolutely can't wait

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba was a real team guy in MN, but i wonder if his buy in in ARI might be affected by his short term contract. Not a big thing, maybe, but a thing.

It might even be a good thing. Having a more selfish, emotionally uninvolved Dumba might not be a bad thing on ice. His mistakes tend to happen when he gets all revved up, and overcommits on hits, and joining the rush.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm really hoping that Dumba and Zucker make a difference in our road record. We absolutely have the makings of a playoff team when the young players mature a year or so and we add Comrade Forward and Comrade Defensky.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

"We are very pleased to have Matt join our organization," said Armstrong. "He is a talented, reliable, physical defenseman who competes hard every night and will contribute offensively. He is also a great leader who will add a veteran presence to our blue line. We are very excited to have him on our team this season."

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Dumba was a real team guy in MN, but i wonder if his buy in in ARI might be affected by his short term contract. Not a big thing, maybe, but a thing.

It might even be a good thing. Having a more selfish, emotionally uninvolved Dumba might not be a bad thing on ice. His mistakes tend to happen when he gets all revved up, and overcommits on hits, and joining the rush.
I have confidence in Coach Tourigny to keep Dumba's mistakes to a minimum.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad