Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Matt Dumba to a 1 year, 3.9M contract

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Having played in the now defunct Central Hockey League, I can tell you sitting in a hotel room is the worst thing you can do.
All the distractions you’re carrying on about only apply to the weak minded.
Yet NHL players talk about it?? You'd have to be downright silly to think players play with the same level and intensity and interest 82 games a season. Guess what might effect both

Reactions: Prarievarg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's August...we can sniff. ;)
Just as long as you don’t sniff where you shouldn’t…

B406C12A-4D04-4D70-B276-CE4687CE5F23.jpeg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yet NHL players talk about it?? You'd have to be downright silly to think players play with the same level and intensity and interest 82 games a season. Guess what might effect both
I hear them talk more about how the team is tough to play against.
One could easily counter with a little fun in the sun etc. provides a nice little reset from the mundane.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I hear them talk more about how the team is tough to play against.
One could easily counter with a little fun in the sun etc. provides a nice little reset from the mundane.
You are confusing 2 thoughts. Yes the Coyotes are tougher to play against but also many teams don't care about them and enjoy a couple days off and a lesser effort.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The guy hasn't even found the locker room and you've already traded him. :laugh:
He signed a one year deal, going at the trade deadline is definitely the plan on both sides.

Speaking of which watching that video makes it very clear Dumbas plan is to try and elevate his stock here so he's in a better position come this time next year. It's a smart play on his part and the Coyotes. If he does what he's supposed to then the Yotes should get a 1st out of him at the deadline and not only can he then go play for a cup contender but he'll also be able to parlay it all into a better multi-year deal in free agency next year. Seems like a win-win for both sides if succeeds and if he doesn't, it hurts him way more than the Coyotes which is good from the perspective that he has a lot of the skin in this game so I expect him to be highly motivated. I hope it goes great for all involved, he's a pretty likeable dude!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
He signed a one year deal, going at the trade deadline is definitely the plan on both sides.

Speaking of which watching that video makes it very clear Dumbas plan is to try and elevate his stock here so he's in a better position come this time next year. It's a smart play on his part and the Coyotes. If he does what he's supposed to then the Yotes should get a 1st out of him at the deadline and not only can he then go play for a cup contender but he'll also be able to parlay it all into a better multi-year deal in free agency next year. Seems like a win-win for both sides if succeeds and if he doesn't, it hurts him way more than the Coyotes which is good from the perspective that he has a lot of the skin in this game so I expect him to be highly motivated. I hope it goes great for all involved, he's a pretty likeable dude!
...unless if the Coyotes play over their head, establish great goaltending, and make the playoffs, which I think they will do!

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
...unless if the Coyotes play over their head, establish great goaltending, and make the playoffs, which I think they will do!
If you gamble on sports, I suggest you place a wager on them to make the playoffs(responsibly of course) if you’re that confident. Currently on DraftKings Coyotes are +750 to make the playoffs.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Very unpopular opinion I know but if Dumba can command a first rounder from a bubble team, similar to Ottawa last year, I would ship him out at the TDL regardless if the Coyotes are in the hunt for the playoffs or not. I'd much rather a decent shot at a top 15 pick than watch the Yotes get their asses handed to them in the first round of the playoffs. They're close, hopefully closer than I'm giving them credit for, but I still think they're in a position where asset management takes priority.

Now if somehow they're firmly in the playoffs and look like someone no one wants to face in the first round that changes the calculus!

Reactions: Kai Yo T

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's likely some assurances were made to Zucker and Dumba. It will all depend on where we are in the standings come the deadline. Let's not overthink it until we get closer to that timeline.

Reactions: Schemp and Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Very unpopular opinion I know but if Dumba can command a first rounder from a bubble team, similar to Ottawa last year, I would ship him out at the TDL regardless if the Coyotes are in the hunt for the playoffs or not. I'd much rather a decent shot at a top 15 pick than watch the Yotes get their asses handed to them in the first round of the playoffs. They're close, hopefully closer than I'm giving them credit for, but I still think they're in a position where asset management takes priority.

Now if somehow they're firmly in the playoffs and look like someone no one wants to face in the first round that changes the calculus!
Good problems to have, hopefully we’ll be there and see how BA responds!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If ARI make the playoffs, they might end up doing the same thing that MN did, and keep Dumba for the playoff run, figuring that paying a 2nd for some help for the playoffs is relatively cheap, and worth it. In other words, make Dumba your TDL acquisition, and see where it takes you. Being able to compete, if not win, a playoff series would be a huge step forward both for the players, and the fans, nvm management and the general community who make a lot of money for every homedate played in the playoffs.

And if someone offers you a 1st(probably a late one) for Dumba, sure, you think about it, but doesn't that mean that he is playing really well for you, and might be worth keeping around?

Draft choices are nice, but at some point you have to ice a team. If Dumba fits in there(sounds like he already had one foot in the city prior to the trade), you could do worse than signing him as a veteran presence who still has some juice left. The West is the weakest I've seen it in years... it's not farfetched to think that ARI can be a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad