HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Somebody was being sacrificed after the loss....that decision was already made.

Keefe was done the second the Bruins scored in OT....put him out of his misery.

Shanahan lasting this long reminds me of Bergevin, staying on way past his expiration date.

Coaching job is an eject seat. They are paid to take the heat.
Let the team process the loss then let Keefe leave with respect and calmly.

MSL is ranked 6th and he's been with us for 27 months! Average is about 2.4 years.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Keefe seems like a nice guy and he gets to move on with an extension in the pocket(npi) and will probably get a gig elsewhere, hi Kyle lol. His biggest mistake was allowing the big money boys to run the show. He couldn't publicly say anything critical of the big 4 without having to walk it back a few days later.

The new guy must have a spine and not be worried that he hurts some feelings. A disciplinarian style has to be the new approach because being passive didn't work for Keefe. Did they fire Boucher as well? If not, a 1-3-1 might be the new style in TO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Keefe seems like a nice guy and he gets to move on with an extension in the pocket(npi) and will probably get a gig elsewhere, hi Kyle lol. His biggest mistake was allowing the big money boys to run the show. He couldn't publicly say anything critical of the big 4 without having to walk it back a few days later.

The new guy must have a spine and not be worried that he hurts some feelings. A disciplinarian style has to be the new approach because being passive didn't work for Keefe. Did they fire Boucher as well? If not, a 1-3-1 might be the new style in TO.
Maybe Keefe was handcuffed about what he could and could not say/ do about the big money guys? Who’s to say his overseers didn’t intervene to have him walk back comments?

A new guy with a spine won’t last there cause someone in management won’t like it.

Shit is flowing/ gushing from the top and unless the head is cut off and replaced, nothing will ever change. Which suits me fine, I don’t want to be deprived of our annual Leaf playoff exit comedy bashings.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
How to make sure you get a job soon....

If his coaching was as good as his ass kissing, The Leafs would have won a few Cups. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, coaching Montreal or Toronto are two tough gigs.

He wasn't anything great but even Scotty Bowman would have a hard time with those heartless bums of the core four (well, Nylander I actually like in the playoffs).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Maybe Keefe was handcuffed about what he could and could not say/ do about the big money guys? Who’s to say his overseers didn’t intervene to have him walk back comments?

A new guy with a spine won’t last there cause someone in management won’t like it.

Shit is flowing/ gushing from the top and unless the head is cut off and replaced, nothing will ever change. Which suits me fine, I don’t want to be deprived of our annual Leaf playoff exit comedy bashings.
That is a terrible position for a coach to be in but it is probably accurate. Why in the world would an established guy like Berube want to walk into that? Shanahan needs to go as well and if not, it's more of the same for Leaf fans.

I can't fathom cheering for such a gutless group of players but every year the fans seem to forget it and declare that this is the season we win it all lol. I know so many of them and it's always the same.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
He wasn't anything great but even Scotty Bowman would have a hard time with those heartless bums of the core four (well, Nylander I actually like in the playoffs).
What percentage of the Cap would The Big 3, Dryden, Lafleur, Shutt and Lemaire take up? lol

Why in the world would an established guy like Berube want to walk into that?
$$$

Reactions: GrandBison

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is a terrible position for a coach to be in but it is probably accurate. Why in the world would an established guy like Berube want to walk into that? Shanahan needs to go as well and if not, it's more of the same for Leaf fans.

I can't fathom cheering for such a gutless group of players but every year the fans seem to forget it and declare that this is the season we win it all lol. I know so many of them and it's always the same.
Maybe the regular season is the Stanley Cup to some of their fans. More braggadocious bandwidth since it lasts way longer than the playoffs.

Add a complicit media and there might not be that much incentive for some of those fans to take a rational approach.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Maybe the regular season is the Stanley Cup to some of their fans. More braggadocious bandwidth since it lasts way longer than the playoffs.

Add a complicit media and there might not be that much incentive for some of those fans to take a rational approach.
The media acts like a bunch of 14-year-old girls fawning over Taylor Swift, Ron, and the gang have even talked about the fashion sense of Nylander and Matthews in an Entertainment Tonight fashion. There is no emphasis on winning or doing what it takes to win, it is the definition of embracing a losing culture.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I find it hilarious that the same cycle with the Leafs fans happens every single year.

1) They lose in horrible fashion, usually in the first round
2) Their media/fans freak out and want to get rid of EVERYONE. Some of them actually see sense that their team is way too top-heavy and not playoff-constructed.
3) A couple of days go by, possible solutions are being debated back and forth.

We're now at step 4 where none of the solutions presented are 'realistic' or enough. I've seen variations of the same message on multiple platforms today: "Why would we trade Marner? If you do, who do you replace him with? There's no one as good out there, etc etc." Same thing about Keefe before he got fired. "Sure, you fire Keefe, but who replaces him? Keefe's a good coach. Keefe regular season success blah blahb blshduivsdfsl"

You trade Marner because you freaking HAVE TO. You fire Keefe (or Shanahan) BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO. That's what people don't understand. Logically, of course you don't trade your 100 pt winger. Of course you don't trade your super-winning regular season coach. This isn't logical. The same group of people over and over and over x 10000000 have gone to the playoffs and failed spectacularly year after year. SOMETHING DIFFERENT has to change. And it's not the minion players, assistant coaches, GMs, coaches, etc. They have done that over and over since the "core 4" have been there. What hasn't changed? Them. And their playoff success.

But until their fans decide that regular season success alone isn't good enough, or their dumb af corporate ownership realize that results may actually improve, they won't. And I'll be in here in May/April every single year making this post.

Reactions: wikiwa

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I find it hilarious that the same cycle with the Leafs fans happens every single year.

2) Their media/fans freak out and want to get rid of EVERYONE. Some of them actually see sense that their team is way too top-heavy and not playoff-constructed.

We're now at step 4 where none of the solutions presented are 'realistic' or enough. I've seen variations of the same message on multiple platforms today: "Why would we trade Marner? If you do, who do you replace him with? There's no one as good out there, etc etc." Same thing about Keefe before he got fired. "Sure, you trade Keefe, but who replaces him? Keefe's a good coach. Keefe regular season success blah blahb blshduivsdfsl"

You trade Marner because you freaking HAVE TO. You fire Keefe (or Shanahan) BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO. That's what people don't understand. Logically, of course you don't trade your 100 pt winger. Of course you don't trade your super-winning regular season coach. This isn't logical. The same group of people over and over and over x 10000000 have gone to the playoffs and failed spectacularly year after year. SOMETHING DIFFERENT has to change. And it's not the minion players, assistant coaches, GMs, coaches, etc. They have done that over and over since the "core 4" have been there. What hasn't changed? Them. And their playoff success.

But until their fans decide that regular season success alone isn't good enough, or their dumb af corporate ownership realize that results may actually improve, they won't. And I'll be in here in May/April every single year making this post.
and now new coach
the parade is back

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
If his coaching was as good as his ass kissing, The Leafs would have won a few Cups. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, coaching Montreal or Toronto are two tough gigs.

That's a guy that was outcoached by Dom Ducharme in a seven games serie.

• Haha
Reactions: wikiwa

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The media acts like a bunch of 14-year-old girls fawning over Taylor Swift, Ron, and the gang have even talked about the fashion sense of Nylander and Matthews in an Entertainment Tonight fashion. There is no emphasis on winning or doing what it takes to win, it is the definition of embracing a losing culture.
Nice purse Auston b'y. :)

257955696_3047152505498302_828898081614651158_n.jpg

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

We're now at step 4 where none of the solutions presented are 'realistic' or enough. I've seen variations of the same message on multiple platforms today: "Why would we trade Marner? If you do, who do you replace him with? There's no one as good out there, etc etc." Same thing about Keefe before he got fired. "Sure, you fire Keefe, but who replaces him? Keefe's a good coach. Keefe regular season success blah blahb blshduivsdfsl"

Considering who's their GM, I'd be afraid to trade Marner too if I was a Leafs fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad