Constructive Criticism of Peter Chiarelli

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
As we are about to play NYI we all hold our breath and pray we do not hear the dreaded words, "Chirelli trades...".
The last couple times we heard this we all were in shock then gradually tried to find a way to justify the deal. Having the best player in the world helps distract from problems.
Yes there have been a couple good deals (Talbot - Slats gift, and Maroon -can't afford next year cause of Drai over payment), but way too many horrible, horrible deals that came from a lack of patience and a lack of negotiation skills.
8.5 for Draisaitl? Yes in a few years he will likely be worth it but why pay that now? Hold off until training camp and he surely could have been signed for less.
Fire Chiarelli!!!!!! before his next move, trading more speed and skill for size...
Honestly is there a GM out there with a worst trading and signing record??
If you have to ask the question...

Reactions: dawunderboy

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Come on man. I like a lot of your posts be lets just break down these three.

Yes he did not lose EVERY SINGLE trade. Talbot was a clear win. Lets break down the other 2.

Scrivens steaming hot pile of filthy garbage for Kassian now overpaid less stinky garbage.
it's funny how quickly fans turn on players...Kassian had a great season last year and was a BEAST in the playoffs, particularly in game 2 against the Sharks
then scores the only goal in game 3
now he's utter trash lol
yes, he's been bad this year (although he was one of the few good players against Detroit) but he fully deserved that new contract
can't blame Chia because Kassian got complacent..and everyone loved the new contract when he signed it

Maroon plays with Mcdavid. You rightfully called out the poster omitting "good trades" well are you going to acknolwedge that Maroon is not the world beater he is without Drai and Mcdavid?

How do you think hed look with Letestu or Strome as his centre?
chemistry...it's a thing
Hall and Ebs both couldn't play on his wing...neither could Lucic
Maroon works, whether you like it or not...and no, not everyone CAN play with Connor

The bum Chiarelli has one clear trade win in Talbot and a bunch of lateral movements in Hall for Larsson best case.

His outright losses are just painful. Reinhart might go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the league. Two first rounders for a prospect that couldnt crack a non-playoff teams lineup. At least get a roster player.
the Reinhart trade is indefensible...just utter garbage like I've been saying for 2 years

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian played the best hockey he has ever played in the NHL in the playoffs last season. Respect for that, sure, but the problem is people were actually expecting him to produce. That he would just somehow continue. That's odd because Kass has never produced consistently in the NHL at any point. He has 45 goals his entire career and he's 26. In 128 GP here he a 10 goals. On average he would have 1 goal by now. I think people somehow developed an elevated expectation from this player. But he's indistinguishable production wise from the other 8 players we rotate through bottomsix.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
it's funny how quickly fans turn on players...Kassian had a great season last year and was a BEAST in the playoffs, particularly in game 2 against the Sharks
then scores the only goal in game 3
now he's utter trash lol
yes, he's been bad this year (although he was one of the few good players against Detroit) but he fully deserved that new contract
can't blame Chia because Kassian got complacent..and everyone loved the new contract when he signed it

Yes, now hes utter trash. He was an ok player in the regular season and I agree fully he had a few fantastic games in the playoffs.

Where I draw the line is people acting like we got this kings ransom in Zach Kassian for Scrivens. We got a 4th line player for a garbage goalie. I dont think anyone saw a first liner in Zach Kassian. Yes even George Laraque on the 4th line had a good game every now and then - it doesnt mean trading him for a 7th rounder is some massive coup.

The "list" of Chiarellis trade wins are basically Talbot and a few other marginal wins eg Scrivens for Kassian or even Maroon playing with Mcdavid for example.

For any Kassian or Maroon "wins" hes made unforgivable Lucic contract signings and Reinhart trades. His failures are exponentially worse than his wins. Thats the point I'm making.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Another important question after the Reinhart trade. How come no one was fired? Isnt that a fireable offense? Chia is the boss so if it was Bob Green he blindly listened too, who stopped following him as an Oil King what are the repercussions?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
So Spector says with yams going back, we’re about to sign kelly.

Just what we need, get back to 49 contracts and add a fourth liner at best.

Wtf is he thinking?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So Spector says with yams going back, we’re about to sign kelly.

Just what we need, get back to 49 contracts and add a fourth liner at best.

Wtf is he thinking?
I think Spector was just guessing. Malone has been called up and there's no room on the 23-man roster for Kelly unless someone else gets sent down or waived.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
First, I want to thank McDrai for making this thread, it is really appreciated.

I don't agree with this post. Chia has gone more with a Boston or LA type model of physical play and bringing in physical players. But he doesn't have the elite defenceman that either of those clubs has.

I actually think Chia moved us AWAY from the successful Pittsburgh model. Pittsburgh core is built on Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and with lines structured around that. Those are their elite players and spacing them out in the lineup results in balanced scoring and that each can drive a line. Pittsburgh does not have an elite D, they have D by committee and they also play team D through puck possession. Their goal is to have the puck as much as possible, its how they win.

We formerly had 3 such offensive drivers in McD, Drai, Hall, now, no thanks to Chia, we have two. That boat has sailed and it isn't coming back. Its underestimated how much of an impact it is when you lose one player that can drive a line like Hall. Ultimately it meant production regression in players like Eberle and Nuge as well who both had their halcyon years with Hall. Lucic hasn't really replaced that and Lucic is not a driver of offense. Lucic actually has most of his goals here on PP with McDavid. He's struggled to produce at evens.
I disagree with you. Although, you made a point in the first paragraph! I think that Pitts model can be built around McDavid, Draisalt and RNH. Even RNH will return to 60 pt player. What he needs to do now is to bring fast skilled wingers to complete them and keep Maroon and Lucic as power forwards. Pulju and Yamamoto will be those guys but transit players are needed. Even Pouliot could have been kept. Jokinen is an absolute disaster as a replacement.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Here is what this team would look like if he only traded for Talbot signed Demers, I didnt even include his signing of Sekera.

Barzal Mcdavid Puljujarvi
Hall Draisatl Slypeshev
Pouliot Nuge Eberle
Caggulia Khaira Pakarenin

Yamamoto Ext.

Klefbom Demers
Nurse Benning
#5 Dman Gryba

Talbot
Scrivens

I should also note I'm a huge fan of the Larsson trade but I certainly know which team I'd prefer.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
There is absolutely no excuse to miss the playoffs in McDavids third season after McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot carried this team on their backs to the 2nd round last season. None whatsoever, you can classify these years as McDavids prime years now , and we will waste 1 year of that out of the playoffs. Its just ridiculous and unacceptable. How anyone can back Chiarelli up at this point is ludicrous. Chiarelli is THE reason we are in this position. He is failing miserably in maintaining a good team around Connor, Leon and Talbs. Its that simple. My 88 year old grandma could handpick a bunch of pluggers around the league with these 3 players and be much further along then this guy. Lets get real here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Here is what this team would look like if he only traded for Talbot signed Demers, I didnt even include his signing of Sekera.

Barzal Mcdavid Puljujarvi
Hall Draisatl Slypeshev
Pouliot Nuge Eberle
Caggulia Khaira Pakarenin

Yamamoto Ext.

Klefbom Demers
Nurse Benning
#5 Dman Gryba

Talbot
Scrivens

I should also note I'm a huge fan of the Larsson trade but I certainly know which team I'd prefer.
I'm of the belief they never pick Barzal in the first place with that pick
our astute scouting department wasn't too high on him if I recall (cause they're morons)

Stauffer mentioned Erikson-Ek or Svechnikov as candidate I believe

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I'm of the belief they never pick Barzal in the first place with that pick
our astute scouting department wasn't too high on him if I recall (cause they're morons)

Stauffer mentioned Erikson-Ek or Svechnikov as candidate I believe

So ? much better then the status quo. They would have bought speed and skill. Kind of where the league is headed. You could literally go around the league and hand pick a better bottom 6 with your eyes closed. Our bottom 6 is terribad.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They can still turn it around, but it's looking more and more like this year is a developmental year. I honestly think this is going to require a few years of patience now, the secondary scoring has to be rebuilt on this team and generally the core (including McDavid) needs to mature further. I think we may be looking at something like this:

McDavid Age 21 (This Year): Painful step backwards, sobering period. Painful stretches where team will struggle to score. Chiarelli is fired at year end, new GM brought in. Not much movement in the summer as we have no cap room. Maroon signs elsewhere as we don't have cap. Get a good prospect from the 2018 draft.

McDavid Age 22 (18-19 season): Stabilizing year with lower expectations. Still not a real contender, but Yamamoto and Puljujarvi start to chip in and we become less one dimensional. At year end Russell and Sekera NMCs come up and we dump Russell, cap rises a bit, we start to gain a little cap flexibility. Maybe they eek into the playoffs but that will largely be dependant on internal growth.

McDavid Age 23 (19-20 season): Core matures, Yamamoto/Puljujarvi are able to shoulder more of the weight on a nightly basis. GM is able to find a taker for Lucic with salary retained. GM makes a move for a good sized addition to the core group. Our draft pick from 2018 as starts to become a more regular contributor. Cap rises again. Make the playoffs and window starts to open in its earnest.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wonder what will be the move that will make the Chiarelli believers (whats left of them), switch. If people weren't put off by the Eberle fail trade, or horrendous Russell contract, I wonder what itll take for people? Maybe trading Maroon for nothing or something

I mean the dude is trying to patch a massive hole with Chris Kelly and Brad Malone. That's all you have to know about how bad Chiarelli is at building a team

Guy reminds me so, so much of MacT. Comes in hot with a couple big moves that appeared to be great (Talbot and Maroon were awesome). But over the next 2 years it becomes glowlingly apparent those were one off deals as they both continue to get roasted in trades/signings. Admittedly, I do love Chiarellis drafts but id wager those are more of a result of the scouts than him

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder what will be the move that will make the Chiarelli believers (whats left of them), switch. If people weren't put off by the Eberle fail trade, or horrendous Russell contract, I wonder what itll take for people? Maybe trading Maroon for nothing or something

I mean the dude is trying to patch a massive hole with Chris Kelly and Brad Malone. That's all you have to know about how bad Chiarelli is at building a team

Guy reminds me so, so much of MacT. Comes in hot with a couple big moves that appeared to be great (Talbot and Maroon were awesome). But over the next 2 years it becomes glowlingly apparent those were one off deals as they both continue to get roasted in trades/signings. Admittedly, I do love Chiarellis drafts but id wager those are more of a result of the scouts than him

If we're not in a playoff spot by the deadline I imagine Maroon and Letestu are traded as rentals.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Crazy we are rebuilding with THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NHL. In his 3rd year. That is unacceptable. We will likely waste 2 or 3 years of a generational players prime years because a GM is so incompetent. That is scary to think about. Its a long shot but maybe the hockey community will step in and pressure Oilers management to replace Chiarelli to save McDavid. It was palatable to allow Hall/RNH/Eberle be destroyed because they weren't generational players. I think McDavid will be different

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crazy we are rebuilding with THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NHL. In his 3rd year. That is unacceptable. We will likely waste 2 or 3 years of a generational players prime years because a GM is so incompetent. That is scary to think about. Its a long shot but maybe the hockey community will step in and pressure Oilers management to replace Chiarelli to save McDavid. It was palatable to allow Hall/RNH/Eberle be destroyed because they weren't generational players. I think McDavid will be different

I think we basically are though, lol. It will take 2 years I think to rebuild the forward group so that it is not so one dimensional and for Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to mature more.

That will be when McDavid is 23 ... still young though. Hopefully Chiarelli is fired this summer so a new GM has time to work/evaluate towards that goal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we're not in a playoff spot by the deadline I imagine Maroon and Letestu are traded as rentals.

Crazy to think we are selling rentals this deadline. Just 2010-2015 Oilers all over again. Trade serviceable depth/role players for picks> don't replace them> go into year with lack of help for current depth players> trade more underperforming depth/role players> repeat

Atleast we can trade RNH for Leo Komarov this offseason to help out the bottom 6

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Oiler fans don't deserve McDavid

They'll lay their life on the lone to defend Kris Russell and then get the knifes out for Draisaitl and McDavid. Was exact same way with Hall. To boo Hall is just a perfect example

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oiler fans don't deserve McDavid

They'll lay their life on the lone to defend Kris Russell and then get the knifes out for Draisaitl and McDavid. Was exact same way with Hall. To boo Hall is just a perfect example

There's morons in every fanbase. Heard Calgary fans rip on Iginla and Gaudreau and Phaneuf was practically chased out of town. A certain portion of Leafs fans will turn on Matthews when things get rough. Luongo took all types of crap in Vancouver. etc. etc. etc. etc.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

We can all hate Chia and die of strokes, and it won't change a thing, so I try to relax and not let it bother me too much.

Or you can continue to be angry all the time and lead yourself to an early grave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad