Constructive Criticism of Peter Chiarelli

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Hall for Larsson isn't "giving away value for free"
Larsson is our best defender

1. Klefbom is better

2. Larsson can't make a breakout pass like Sekera or Klefbom, hence low offensive totals

3. He's more replaceable.

4. Similar trades in the past 2 years suggest a RHD could have been acquired for less (Hjarmalsson, Hamonic, Mehtot, Hamilton)

5. It's a trade in which the Oilers lost significant value. Peter Chiarelli admitted as much that value wise it may have been a loss.

space321

May 11, 2011
Hall for Larsson isn't "giving away value for free"
Larsson is our best defender

And those two things are not mutually exclusive. Larsson is far from our best defender. If Larsson was injured right now instead of Sekera, this team would have a better record because at least Sekera can make a breakout pass.

Reactions: Speed220DChalavan

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Klefbom is better
based on ES icetime and by eye, he's not

2. Larsson can't make a breakout pass like Sekera or Klefbom, hence low offensive totals
Larsson is a defensive defenceman, something we've lacked since Jason Smith...no question in my mind a huge reason for our GA going down last year

3. He's more replaceable.
not as his age and his contract

4. Similar trades in the past 2 years suggest a RHD could have been acquired for less (Hjarmalsson, Hamonic, Mehtot, Hamilton)
Hjalmarrson is older, more miles and contract is up sooner
Larsson is better than Hamonic
Methot wasn't coming to Canada (every Canadian team was on his no-Trade List)
and the Oilers offered arguably a BETTER package than the Flames, but the Bruins wanted Nurse...grudge much?
According to Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sportsnet, the Oilers offered the Bruins three picks (No. 16, No. 33 and No. 57 in 2015 NHL Draft) for Hamilton. The Bruins, however, wanted defensive prospect Darnell Nurse included as part of a package.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...d-darnell-nurse-in-trade-for-dougie-hamilton/

5. It's a trade in which the Oilers lost significant value. Peter Chiarelli admitted as much that value wise it may have been a loss.
yes, obviously Hall has more value in a vacuum...but Larsson was and is needed on this team more

and we were fine without him last year

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
There always has to be something with his team. Always.

Ive been ready to cut our losses with Chia for a while. Not a good GM. Hopefully Bob Nicholson sees the way we do.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And those two things are not mutually exclusive. Larsson is far from our best defender. If Larsson was injured right now instead of Sekera, this team would have a better record because at least Sekera can make a breakout pass.
Sekera-Klefbom
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Gryba

looks like a similar defensive corps in 2015-16, when they finished 29th

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Larsson being the team's best defenseman is such a meaningless statement.

Marc Andre Bergeron would be the team's third best defenseman this season. Doesn't mean he's good.

Logicize

Sep 9, 2017
When things go south for this long, you blame those at the top. Katz and Nicholson should take the heat. You know what you're getting with Chiarelli - keep in mind someone had to consciously hire him in the first place, and consciously keep him employed.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
based on ES icetime and by eye, he's not

Larsson is a defensive defenceman, something we've lacked since Jason Smith...no question in my mind a huge reason for our GA going down last year

not as his age and his contract

Hjalmarrson is older, more miles and contract is up sooner
Larsson is better than Hamonic
Methot wasn't coming to Canada (every Canadian team was on his no-Trade List)
and the Oilers offered arguably a BETTER package than the Flames, but the Bruins wanted Nurse...grudge much?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...d-darnell-nurse-in-trade-for-dougie-hamilton/

yes, obviously Hall has more value in a vacuum...but Larsson was and is needed on this team more

and we were fine without him last year

Don't have time to individually rebut all these points.

You can carry water for Chiarelli all you want, but the body of his work suggests it's significantly underwhelming.

Chiarelli walked into an excellent situation and somehow fumbled away the gift of having 97.

As posted in the other thread:

Hall and Eberle didn't necessarily have to be pushed away. If Chiarelli had an oz of creativity, he would have got that RHD without giving up a 1st OV pick in Hall on a value contract.

1. Reinhart trade was the 1st mistake [2 valuable assets for a downtrending bust] after refusing to give up Nurse in a deal for Hamilton.
2. Hall for Larsson - clear loss in value
3. A buy-out proof (signing bonuses, NMC) contract in Lucic for a 28 year old - 7 years to replace Hall's contributions
4. Eberle moved for vacant cap space this year (which wasn't used) plus Strome
5. Signs Kris Russell 4 x 4M - he's now getting 3rd pairing TOI even with Sekera out.

That forward core could have been great - instead it's mediocre. Chiarelli fumbled away assets from the core of this organization and here we are.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
One last comment:

The damage MacT and Tambellini did was mostly short-term. This is a guy who perpettually makes bad bets which have long-term adverse consequences

1. Reinhart for Barzal + 33 OV
2. Seguin trade - no assets left
3. Hall trade - loss in value
4. Blake Wheeler trade
5. Eberle for Strome.
6. Lucic - 7 years X 6M (no movement clause, buy-out proof)
7. Kris Russell 4 X 4M

He left Boston in a mess and salary cap hell because he overpaid depth players and squandered away assets. He's in the process (and has done much of the damage already) in Edmonton.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
One last comment:

The damage MacT and Tambellini did was mostly short-term. This is a guy who perpettually makes bad bets which have long-term adverse consequences

1. Reinhart for Barzal + 33 OV
2. Seguin trade - no assets left
3. Hall trade - loss in value
4. Blake Wheeler trade
5. Eberle for Strome.
6. Lucic - 7 years X 6M (no movement clause, buy-out proof)
7. Kris Russell 4 X 4M

He left Boston in a mess and salary cap hell because he overpaid depth players and squandered away assets. He's in the process (and has done much of the damage already) in Edmonton.

Come on, now you’re just copy and pasting your post in multiple threads. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Its sad when MacTavish has had better trades as a GM. Say what you want about Lowe and Tambo, but MacT was an above average GM IMO.

Of course ignoring the Petry - Schultz fiasco.

(Edit: I see someone has touched on this already..)

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Chia can’t trade or manage his roster. I am not sure how this is going to end well for the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The sooner Chiarelli is canned the better. The next GM has a bunch of work to do to clean his mess up.

It'll be interesting to see how the next GMs fixes the Lucic and Russell time bombs. Atleast they'll have Dahlin to start

Nicholson doesn't have to fire Chiarelli in season but he should at least freeze Chiarelli from making any trades or signings or any roster move really.

space321

May 11, 2011
Sekera-Klefbom
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Gryba

looks like a similar defensive corps in 2015-16, when they finished 29th

You mean that season where McDavid missed 40 games and Klefbom missed 50? I wonder why they finished 29th...

I mean right now with Larsson and no Sekera we're 30th out of 31st so I don't really get your argument.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Come on guys, let the master plan come to fruition. We can pick up 40M worth of players at the deadline this year :)

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
The Eberle trade did it for me. I was worried he would blow that one and he did.
Yes we needed to trade Eberle but please recognize that he could have better value during the season instead of in July coming off a down season and a rough playoffs.
Sakic was patient and he got a ransom for Duchene. Duchene was terrible last year too.
Chia never shows patience, he jumped way too fast for Reinhart. No Hamilton... quick panic.
I like the Hall deal but he should have at least gotten another piece back, wait until November if you have too.
And Eberle, another summer deal, get nothing back; it is horrible asset management.
No patience/ negotiation skills also ended up in an overpayment for Draisaitl. 8.5, come on, Drai's agent was laughing. Wait another couple weeks.
McDavid had to talk his salary down!!
I don't trust Chia anymore. to heck with constructive criticism, FIRE Chiarelli now, before this next summer when he trades Nuge for Sam Bennett.
Seriously, his track record is horrible. And don't tell me about Talbot, that was a gift from Slats. Maroon is the only deal he's won and now he can't afford to keep him on a team that might miss the playoffs.
FIRE CHIA!!, pass it on.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'll break it down how I see it.

His first year was interesting and I have problems with it, but I respect it because he set a plan, followed the plan and improved the team across many key areas.

Cam Talbot: The most important thing he did as the Oilers GM. I'm not going to laud him too much for this trade because Talbot wasn't his first choice. They were in on Lehner until Bryan Murray (RIP) priced him out of the Oilers range. That would have been a disaster. Still, props for him for not only getting the goalie but giving next to nothing for him when Sather originally wanted a 1st.

Andrej Sekera: Huge signing in his first year. I was very concerned that he would fail to upgrade the D after a spring filled with talking-down the notion that he would be whale hunting in the UFA pool. Sekera is the teams most consistent, well rounded defenseman and we miss him a lot.

Griffin Reinhart: I was initially optimistic because I didn't love the draft pool. I felt Reinhart was still a good, if not great, prospect. It was entirely too much to give up, though and obviously is ugly as sin in hindsight. Doesn't help the optics of it now that Matt Barzal just had a five point game and Reinhart is now officially past suspect territory.

Zach Kassian: It's an astute risk to take and I'll give him credit for that. The thing here is, it was obvious Kassian was a decent player who brought speed, energy and physicality to the game. What Chiarelli couldn't know when he made the deal was whether or not Kassian would stay sober. Every team in the league knew what they could get from Kass; Chiarelli is just the man who rolled the dice.

Patrick Maroon: This one worked out like crazy, but again, let's not pretend that Chiarelli saw 27-goal top line complient to McDavid in the scouting reports. It was size with skill that came almost free and it was meant for lines 3-4. It was a player that had upside who had frustrated two organizations with his ethic and inability to get into shape. He rolled 7s in Edmonton and got it together and while I think you HAVE to give credit to the GM for getting the player, you also have to be realistic and understand that there was high levels of luck involved in how well this turned out.

Hall for Larsson: Oof. This was a bad trade when it happened, a bad trade all last year and it's a bad trade now. Nothing has really changed. He traded a superstar forward for a good defenseman. You can say all you want about Adam Larsson and you can say all you want about Taylor Hall: They don't make as many Taylor Halls as they do Adam Larssons.

Lucic: A risky, big contract to a player who needed to keep the offense coming. 6M per is not a big number but on an Oilers team that struggles with secondary scoring, cap space and team speed, it looks uglier right now than it should. If the Oilers can flush some roster wadding and get some speed and skill in, this will look better IMO.

The 2017 offseason: A f***ing unmitigated disaster with poor awareness, poor performance and a disgusting level of complacency. He literally made every wrong decision. It was clear the team had good injury luck and poor secondary scoring; doesn't improve depth and subtracts from secondary scoring. It was clear the team had three good defenseman; fails to add a roster defenseman at all. It was clear that bad contract negotiations would lead to cap crunch and the inability to address team depth: overpaid literally every player he signed except Zach Kassian. It's sort of hilarious that McDavid himself is the only reason it isn't worse. Like, he had to give himself a pay cut to make things work for the Oilers. Doing Chiarelli's job for him.

You could probably sum up Connor McDavid's tenure in Edmonton as "doing Peter Chiarelli's job for him", actually. He attracts all the players, outscores all the depth issues and even negotiates down his own damn contract.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
The sooner Chiarelli is canned the better. The next GM has a bunch of work to do to clean his mess up.

It'll be interesting to see how the next GMs fixes the Lucic and Russell time bombs. Atleast they'll have Dahlin to start

Nicholson doesn't have to fire Chiarelli in season but he should at least freeze Chiarelli from making any trades or signings or any roster move really.

Chiarelli makes his panic move this week and oh boy, we all be shocked by the trade. Even if he is sacked, it is too late to fix this team long term. Chiaturd already f***ed us up with Lucic&Russell contracts. Not to mention pissing away assets, especially those who could be contributing on ELC.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Chai is a joke. Fire him before he ruins this team more so.

If you can't build a .500 team around McDavid and Draisaitl you have no business being an NHL GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad