Constructive Criticism of Peter Chiarelli

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If you think that Eberle belonged on this team after his playoff performance, I’d wager you didn’t watch a minute of the playoffs.
At least this team made the playoffs with Eberle. What has Strome contributed? You could plug any random scrub from the AHL in his spot and you'd probably have the same result. I didn't like Eberle but at least he produced.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
no guarantees here.. Eberle could very well be a healthy scratch in Edmonton. Just not a McLellan player who seemed lost after the Hall trade. Having said that, Chia should have gotten a lot more in return for him.

A healthy scratch? I don't know man. I think he would be filling a big hole we currently have with a need for scoring.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At least this team made the playoffs with Eberle. What has Strome contributed? You could plug any random scrub from the AHL in his spot and you'd probably have the same result. I didn't like Eberle but at least he produced.

I'll be shocked if Strome is in the NHL in two years. Just an total void.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Unpopular opinion but Russell has earned his contract this season. Dude's been our 2nd/3rd most consistent D all season. As long as he's not shooting the puck he's been good.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I don't think that the Russell and Lucic signings are bad. It's rare to find established players that play their respective roles and they come at a premium. I was thankful to have them when playoffs came. The Larsson trade was a good one.

Reactions: Lord Quas

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Unpopular opinion but Russell has earned his contract this season. Dude's been our 2nd/3rd most consistent D all season. As long as he's not shooting the puck he's been good.
Consistently awful maybe. He's been brutal and now he's playing third pairing minutes against weak opposition and still floundering.

Reactions: A91

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think that the Russell and Lucic signings are bad. It's rare to find established players that play their respective roles and they come at a premium. I was thankful to have them when playoffs came. The Larsson trade was a good one.

Lucic had 11EV goals all of last season. He has 2 goals this season. If his role was whiffing on constant PP setups like Bad Horcoff then he's playing his role. Or when he punches donkeys very occasionally because we happen to be playing a team or player that he hated when he was in Boston. He's done hardly anything here but eat up considerable capspace and take up topsix space adding very little to production. His shooting % is a laughable 7%. It would be hard to be worse for what he's making.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
Before I comment, you gotta understand that I don't care about alternative facts about the roster. I can't get caught up in what management should have done, might be able to do ~ I had to block that part out of the game in order to be a fan through the decade of shame. Just this team, this roster, and what needs to happen. With that..

My thoughts on Chai:
The team is short on winger and Dman depth. The team misses Sekera. I don't think this roster's deficits warrant their position in the standings. As of now, I'm fine with Chia

Reinhart (sp?) ~ fail, didn't get potential 4-6 dman.
Talbot ~ pass good goalie
Maroon ~ pass fills a role
Kassian ~ pass fills a role
Russel ~ pass fills a role. You can disagree, I don't care.
Larson ~ pass fills a role
Lucic ~ fail. I like Lucic. I like his contract, term, and what he can bring. Lucic needs to be better. He's got his warts, but he can be a useful player.
Strome ~ too soon,

All that said, Chia's performance up to the start of the year is good enough that the #firechia threads are ridiculous. Yes, even with this offseasons lack of acquisitions.

But now? This team, as is, should be better. And this is where Chia's future, in my mind, should be decided. I don't think he should be fired for the teams performance this year, however, if he doesn't do something to turn this season around — he damn well should be.

He's got some options:

Stand pat?
Hey, it's an option. Props to him if he believes this coach and team can turn it around. I believe this roster can get it going and make the playoffs ~ probably come in as the hottest team of the second half. Though if things don't look better heading into the second week of December, then he better have a plan in place (Player/Coach moves). If he holds all year, and this is as good as it gets, then I think we are looking at a wholesale change for GM and Coach.

Trade?
Don't see any players airdropping in for free. I think we get worse if we try to make a blockbuster.

Change the coach?
I like Tmac, but this start is on him. I like what he's done for this team, but this start is damning. I don't think he game plans enough. This roster, though lacking in some areas, isn't all that bad. Like I said, I believe this roster can turn it around, but if they don't, then no offense, but I'm looking at you Todd.
tenor.gif

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Chia came exactly as advertised.

In Boston:
  • He built a big, heavy, defensively responsible team designed for long runs in the playoff but that could be exposed by faster teams (Montreal).
  • Traded scoring, stars or budding stars (Seguin, Wheeler) for role players to help win now.
  • Good at finding key role players (Boychuk).
  • Created a winning team that had a shelf life and required a partial rebuild when he left.

Same thing here.

My biggest overall concerns/complaints with Chia are:
  • We're building a big heavy team in a league trending towards speed.
  • We are giving up value on high end trades (Hall and Eberle) and not replacing their scoring, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. Doesn't seem sustainable.

My concerns/complaints with Chia specifically for this year are:
  • Not replacing scoring from the RW with the trade of Eberle.
  • In no world does Russell deserve a NMC. A third year is more than enough.
  • Overpaid for Draisaitl vs. his comparables. Especially considering the McDavid effect.
  • Bought out Pouliot, who for all his flaws brings two things this team needs; speed and PK. With the buyout, his replacement (Jokinen) almost washes for salary.
  • Didn't pay up for Hamonic. If last years rumours of him offering up Hall for Hamonic (which I think is terri-bad) are true, but this year him not paying what Calgary did. Not that I'm the biggest Hamonic fan, but it shows a curious level of inconsistency. Same with not going after UFA Shattenkirk. Rumoured offer for Hall the previous year, and wouldn't have cost much more than Russell and have plenty of cap space. Understand he may not have wanted to play in Canada but not going after him is odd. Like Hamonic, no consistency...I want him, I don't want him.
  • Signing Auvitu and Stanton. Similar type AHL / defenseman seems redundant. Plus with Sekera out, need a better option over Gryba, Auvitu and Stanton.

Basically, I view him as an average to below average GM who was gifted McDavid and had some really bad predecessors that make him look good.

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I wonder why Chia didn't take another run at Claude Julien, when he became available...maybe he will in the future as he is building the kind of team Julien likes to coach, heavy and slow.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
My biggest complaint with Chia is that he got too comfortable and overestimated the team from last year. There were few of us that saw last year as a bit of a lucky aberration and it's a shame he did not see this and make some significant improvements in the off season.

Instead he rolled the dice and banked too much on ""hope". Hoping guys like Cagguila, Kharia, Slep Pooly, Pak would take a big step forward. Hoping Strome would find his game here. Hoping Jokinen can still play. Hoping Looch would have a better season this year. Hoping Benning could would take a step fwd and try to fill Seks shoes.

And some things he banked on is not working out so well even though there should have been reason to second guess banking on such things like : Letestu having the same production he did last year. Same with Klef even though he essentially on had ONE good year. Banked on Connor and Drai being able to carrying the team and not thinking teams will adjust to better shut them down this year.

You can have a couple spots for hope but he left too much up to hope in my opinion. Needed to bring in some KNOWN commodities and quality players/veterans. And now going fwd he may find it difficult to do because of the Connor/Drai deals in the summer.

Reactions: dawunderboy

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Chia sucks at everything as a GM.

He overpays and loses nearly every trade (Hall, Eberle)
He signs players to dumb contracts (Lucic, Russell)
He can't draft for shit.
He can't manage the cap.

He destroyed Boston. The bruins could be contenders if they had kept seguin or at least traded him for a fair return. Now Chia is in Edmonton squandering away McDavids prime. Why does he have a job? He lucked into his Stanley cup.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

He can't draft for ****.
He can't manage the cap.

He destroyed Boston. The bruins could be contenders if they had kept seguin or at least traded him for a fair return. Now Chia is in Edmonton squandering away McDavids prime. Why does he have a job? He lucked into his Stanley cup.

Ok I can understand most of the post but how do you justify him not being able to draft? His drafting has easily been his strong suit. I think he has done a pretty damn good job in this department.

Reactions: dawunderboy

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders

He can't draft for ****.
He can't manage the cap.

starting to agree with this statement,also Bob hired PC it will either boil down to him admitting it was a mistake or Mcd gets pissed off enough and starts to complain to bob that we cant compete and would like out of edmonton.other than those things going down i think PCwill be around for a min of 5 years yet

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Ok I can understand most of the post but how do you justify him not being able to draft? His drafting has easily been his strong suit. I think he has done a pretty damn good job in this department.

Puljujarvi? I have not been impressed with his drafting beyond McDavid which was a no-brainer.

Look at the Flames. Bennet, a 4th overall is busting. That's really gonna hurt them. If he was doing as well as we expected, imagine how good the flames would be and how well set up for the future they would be.

Can't keep f***ing up high picks like Edmonton has been doing in the past with yakupov and company. Need Puljujarvi to work out here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Has Chiarelli in the last 5 years ever negotiated a contract we can look at and say ...."wow he really grinded him down...im shocked he signed for so little"?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I still think the poor start on the season has more to do with the coaching staff and players than it does on Chiarelli. Chiarelli hasnt been perfect, hes made some poor trades but hes made some good trades. For how good RNH has been this year, this team should be much higher.

This team lacks wingers. Its pretty obvious. But having McDavid -Drai - RNH down the middle should give TM a huge advantage over 90% of the teams.

Theres holes in the lineup. Theres holes in pretty much every teams lineup. The coaching staff isnt game planning well enough and they arent getting the most out of their players. And the special teams havent been good enough. Losing Hendricks, and Pouillot isnt the reason for the poor PK imo.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Puljujarvi? I have not been impressed with his drafting beyond McDavid which was a no-brainer.

Look at the Flames. Bennet, a 4th overall is busting. That's really gonna hurt them. If he was doing as well as we expected, imagine how good the flames would be and how well set up for the future they would be.

Can't keep ****ing up high picks like Edmonton has been doing in the past with yakupov and company. Need Puljujarvi to work out here.

Puljujarvi needed a year to adjust, not uncommon for some Euro prospects. He has played very well in his 2 games up here so far. So to compare him/ call him a bust is way too premature. Yamo was as awesome pick, and his picks from rounds 2-7 have been light years better than anything we had in the past (this is also a little premature as players have not had enough time to make the case for themselves).

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

He can't draft for ****.
He can't manage the cap.

Sucks at everything? I disagree with lots of his move, but hes pretty good at bargain buys and made some very reasonable moves.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
CHIA DRAFTED THE GREATEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME and every move since has shackled our team to rebuilding mode for the next 3-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad