Constructive Criticism of Peter Chiarelli

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Has Chiarelli in the last 5 years ever negotiated a contract we can look at and say ...."wow he really grinded him down...im shocked he signed for so little"?
It's obvious he hasn't been great with signings, but he's been pretty good at acquiring talent in his GM career.

Right off the bat he made a "bold" Rycroft for Rask trade.

Brought in Sodoberg for Toivenen

Boychuck for Hendricks

Recchi and a 2nd for Lashoff and some other bum

Paille for 3rd and 4th

Seidenberg and Bartkowski for Bitz 2nd, and Weller

Horton and captain immunity Campbell for Weideman 1st and 3rd.

And he's continued that here. He's never been afraid to make bold trades, but he sure seems to have an eye for talent. Outside of dealing with the Isles I guess.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
All this thread does is confirms many Oiler fans really dont have a clue how to build a team.

Chia is one of the most well respected GM's in the league among his peers and agents out there.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
All this thread does is confirms many Oiler fans really dont have a clue how to build a team.

Chia is one of the most well respected GM's in the league among his peers and agents out there.

LOL Chia get ready for tonights game and get off HFB.

I'm sure Gareth Snow respects you tons, ok?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
despite Garth Snow's "fleecings"...his teams are never elite

Ok and until this year Nashville was never "elite". Guess who's viewed as a great gm?

Gifted mcjesus and drai and still a playoff bubble team. Losing 100% of trades to Gareth snow who's not "elite". Well what does that say about Chiarelli?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“We were behind the eight ball to start for a number of reasons. Execution was one of them,” Chiarelli said. “Now we’re in recovery mode and you lose runway. So that’s where we are. It’s a grind. We’ve got to get some traction.”

Why the poor start? Chiarelli wondered if the Oilers have struggled to carry the weight of being labeled a Stanley Cup contender.

“For me, it goes back to where our mindset was in terms of managing expectations,” Chiarelli said. “I’m not laying blame for our record on that. It’s something that we thought we would be able to address. We did address it. Maybe we didn’t do a good job of it."

“I think the way we started, we were loose. Then we tightened up. And when you tighten up, generally as a team you have trouble scoring goals. We’re seeing that.”
Chiarelli disputed the notion the Oilers have gotten slower – though a lack of speed has been voiced as a concern by head coach Todd McLellan and McDavid – instead saying the Oilers are just “playing slower.” They aren’t “thinking fast, playing fast, breaking the puck out fast, reacting fast."

“I know there’s been a lot of talk about the slowness of this team. By no means is it slow,” Chiarelli said. “You end up playing slow. We have been. Having said that, up until [Thursday] night, we haven’t been playing slow the last five or six games. I thought we had a real good road trip [2-1-1 vs. East]. I believe that area is coming around. It’s just consistency and executing right now.”

One thing Chiarelli said not to expect is a major overhaul – at least in the short-term – to bail out the Oilers. There is no cavalry coming in Oil Country.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

He's well respected by other GMs because he constantly giftwraps them star players.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Oilers 'losing runway' to turn the season around --Chia

Chiarelli: Oilers ‘losing runway’ to turn season around - Article - TSN

Chia breaks his silence!
Nothing really new or surprising. But there it is.
However, he thinks our players are just playing slow, and are not actually slow. Not sure I agree with that, but whatever.

If the article was already posted, then my mistake. I don't have time to go through every post at the moment. Pretty sure it's a hot and fresh article (for now), though.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That "not slow, they just are playing that way" thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid.

This team was clay footed last season, but we had McDavid as a one man breakout machine and two D who could at least make a first pass. Now teams are clamping down on Conner and the D is just banging it off the boards or out to a winger group that can't handle a three foot pass so thta lack of speed is jsut more exposed.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm normally a fan of what Chiarelli has to say, but his comments today reek of passing the buck off to others. This is the roster you put together. Take some responsibility for it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm normally a fan of what Chiarelli has to say, but his comments today reek of passing the buck off to others. This is the roster you put together. Take some responsibility for it.
I agree that at the end of the day he will be blamed if this team fails and so he should be

But I also think he's right in the fact they haven't managed expectations very well...other teams have stepped up their game against the Oilers and they simply havent adjusted

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That "not slow, they just are playing that way" thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid.

This team was clay footed last season, but we had McDavid as a one man breakout machine and two D who could at least make a first pass. Now teams are clamping down on Conner and the D is just banging it off the boards or out to a winger group that can't handle a three foot pass so thta lack of speed is jsut more exposed.
he's basically on the same pace as last year, they're doing a horrible job then

and this team had the best record against the West last year...not bad for a "clay-footed" team

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ok and until this year Nashville was never "elite". Guess who's viewed as a great gm?

Gifted mcjesus and drai and still a playoff bubble team. Losing 100% of trades to Gareth snow who's not "elite". Well what does that say about Chiarelli?
that his teams have won more regular season and playoff wins the Snow ever has?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
he's basically on the same pace as last year, they're doing a horrible job then

You can't really stop a player like McDavid, but as far as I can tell he's not getting the same kind of room to work through the neutral zone as he did last year. That's what I was talking about.

and this team had the best record against the West last year...not bad for a "clay-footed" team

That...that doesn't mean they weren't slow.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
It feels like I'm back in 2015 watching Craig MacTavish's end of season presser. When was the last time this organization had some accountability in management?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You can't really stop a player like McDavid, but as far as I can tell he's not getting the same kind of room to work through the neutral zone as he did last year. That's what I was talking about.
he's still just as productive as ever

That...that doesn't mean they weren't slow.
my point being we don't need to be ultra fast to compete in the Western conference
St. Louis isn't a team of burners yet they're the best team in the Conference
this whole "speed" myth is nonsense

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
he's still just as productive as ever

And that wasn't ever the question. He's the best player in the league, if he doesn't kill you with an end to end rush, he'll find another way.

my point being we don't need to be ultra fast to compete in the Western conference
St. Louis isn't a team of burners yet they're the best team in the Conference
this whole "speed" myth is nonsense

You don't think there's any value in having a competitive advantage that would also come in handy should the team make the SCF? Cool.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And that wasn't ever the question. He's the best player in the league, if he doesn't kill you with an end to end rush, he'll find another way.
so then why does it matter if they're "clamping down" on him if he's still productive?

You don't think there's any value in having a competitive advantage that would also come in handy should the team make the SCF? Cool.
why is speed the only factor? Chicago, LA and Boston all won different ways

pretty funny you only seem to post after the Oilers lose though...you were pretty silent up to today
(and last year...gee I wonder why)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
so then why does it matter if they're "clamping down" on him if he's still productive?

So I looked into this and it turns out McDavid's ES numbers are actually down a bit from last year.

P/60
2016-17: 2.3
2017-18: 2.89
P1/60
2016-17: 1.92
2017-18: 2.29
GF%
2016-17: 53.85
2017-18: 62.1

Perhaps I am onto something here after all.

why is speed the only factor? Chicago, LA and Boston all won different ways

Who said it was?

pretty funny you only seem to post after the Oilers lose though...you were pretty silent up to today
(and last year...gee I wonder why)

And that matters why?

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
One of the worst GM’s in the NHL. So many bad trades and bad contracts. This team is in big trouble when the Conny and Drai contracts kick in. They already lack depth up front and in the blue line. And now they are going to be cash poor because of overpaying Lucic, Drai and Russell. Nuge too, really.

Just way too many overpaid players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad