Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I will just say Eichel is not slow at all, he makes plays and walks around college guys in NTDP's exhibition games. His skating is just fine - he is a great player. Not saying I'd take one over the other at this point but that is not a flaw of his IMO.

Billybaroo*

Wow is that ever not what I said. Canadians are getting so overly defensive.

Im not Canadian.
And Im curious. If someone is signifigantly better than Kessel (which is laughable in the extreme) , where do they fall on the continuim?
Funny.
X2

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
i hope both Eichel and McDavid reach their potential and end up in Edmonton and Calgary or something like that. they would be new Ovechkin vs. Crosby...

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Every tournament they play in, McDavid has shown how he is significantly better and on a whole other level. See their U17 and U18 performances. McDavid has also been one of Canada's best players so far including the pre tourney games where he was probably the best.

Hockey hipsters continue to look for someone not mainstream to root for the number 1 pick.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Every tournament they play in, McDavid has shown how he is significantly better and on a whole other level. See their U17 and U18 performances. McDavid has also been one of Canada's best players so far including the pre tourney games where he was probably the best.

A lot of people are referencing the U17s as a tournament where McDavid was clearly better than Eichel but how many watched the tournament? In the game they played head to head both were spectacular. Eichel only played in two complete games as he was injured early in the third game against Quebec and didn't play the rest of the tournament despite being credited with additional games played.

McDavid clearly had a far better U18s so no argument there. Thus far in the U20s this year both have been very good for their age.

Overall, I'd agree that McDavid is ahead at this point and could very well remain that way to draft day and beyond but there are too many people in this thread who don't have a valid basis for their opinions one way or the other.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Meat and potatoes. Apples and oranges.

Other one is big, other one is not.

Other one is explosive, other one is not.

Other one plays cerebral game, other one doesn't.

Other one dazzles with speed and agility, other one doesn't.

Other one is physically imposing, other one is not.
--------------------------------------------------------------
These two could hardly be more different type of players.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

When kids are that age, so much can change in 18 months. Let's wait and see.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A lot of people are referencing the U17s as a tournament where McDavid was clearly better than Eichel but how many watched the tournament? In the game they played head to head both were spectacular. Eichel only played in two complete games as he was injured early in the third game against Quebec and didn't play the rest of the tournament despite being credited with additional games played.

McDavid clearly had a far better U18s so no argument there. Thus far in the U20s this year both have been very good for their age.

Overall, I'd agree that McDavid is ahead at this point and could very well remain that way to draft day and beyond but there are too many people in this thread who don't have a valid basis for their opinions one way or the other.

Seriously. I watched the U17 tourney last year for McDavid, I hadn't ever heard of Eichel. But in that game, he matched McDavid stride for stride, shot for shot, scoring chance for scoring chance. He was literally just as good as McDavid during that game.

I'm not saying Eichel's better, but he can skate with McDavid.

arsmaster*

When kids are that age, so much can change in 18 months. Let's wait and see.

This.

Mcdavid looks like a preteen. Eichel looks like he's quite advanced physically.

Hard to judge when one guy has that physical advantage.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Hockey hipsters continue to look for someone not mainstream to root for the number 1 pick.

That's not true.

I agree that McDavid is the better player - but if you're just looking at tournament play, the only one where he's been "significantly better" is U18.

He hasn't been "significantly better" at U20 and re U17 wasn't Eichel injured for most of it?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
That's not true.

I agree that McDavid is the better player - but if you're just looking at tournament play, the only one where he's been "significantly better" is U18.

He hasn't been "significantly better" at U20 and re U17 wasn't Eichel injured for most of it?

This makes me wonder why Eichel was such a non-factor at U18. Was he injured?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I am excited to watch these two grow into NHL stars. When i watch Eichel he has a very awkward but effective skating style, plays alot like Anze Kopitar but alot faster. I honestly think these two have the potential to be the next Crosby vs Ovechkin, but just imagine in 10 years its going to be Mcdavid vs Eichel vs Mackinnon vs Drouin vs plenty of other. Ton of top end talent is about to take over the league

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yes, his skating style is really really strange. I don't know if it's "awkward" or just strange. I would think some long distance speed skaters skate like that; long powerful strides and glides and arms swinging like that. Strange... Guess you can skate like that as a hockey player too. I dunno any other hockey player whose skating would be even remotely close to that. Unique style.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Two things I find impressive with Eichel's skating is he doesn't seem to be caught from behind and he can use his speed to go around guys on the outside as well as nearly anyone in the tourney when he actually wants to. For a double underager his skating is very impressive imo even if he prefers to use his vision, shot and stick handling as first options.

McDavid seems to prefer to play an up tempo game and rely a bit more on his exceptional skating and speed of hands and feet even if he has great vision as well.

Having two double underagers play this well is pretty unique.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Eichel has been extremely impressive, outplayed McDavid last game for sure.

Though I believe McDavid will be better player.

McDavid is just silky smooth, it's ridiculous he's only 16. Man I feel so old.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I posted earlier that Eichel reminded me of Kessel. I wasn't sure about McDavid but I think I see Datsyuk written all over him.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
As of right now my opinion is still McDavid. Nonetheless, Eichel still has tons of potential and could very well be the number 2 pick in the draft. To be honest, this should be a poll question. I'm curious to see how many people would prefer Eichel over McDavid.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I posted earlier that Eichel reminded me of Kessel. I wasn't sure about McDavid but I think I see Datsyuk written all over him.

I'm not seeing it. Eichel is a bad bodied skilled center who works well in tight, distributes and protects the puck well.

Kessel is a burner, with speed to spare and a very good shot.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If anything Mcdavid plays more like Kessel than Eichel does. My NHL playing style comparisons for these two are Mcdavid- Crosby/Datsyuk/Couture and Eichel- Kopitar/Joe Thorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad