Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Both are incredible, to me what sets McDavid apart is his speed and quickness, kid is a blur out there. Eichel isn't slow but he's not super fast. McDavid's stick in the defensive zone is also incredibly impressive.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Both are incredible, to me what sets McDavid apart is his speed and quickness, kid is a blur out there. Eichel isn't slow but he's not super fast. McDavid's stick in the defensive zone is also incredibly impressive.

A lot of the people commenting haven't seen it enough because he's playing out of position on the wing at the U20s.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A lot of the people commenting haven't seen it enough because he's playing out of position on the wing at the U20s.

Yeah exactly. He's playing out of his element a bit on the wing and does a better job at centre in his own zone and can also get a lot more creative offensively by being able to fly around a little easier rather than just having to drive wide all the time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
These talks about the canadian prodigy vs. the american one reminds me of all the debates about Crosby vs. Kessel. Oh, I feel like I'm getting old.
I was going to post this. How did that one turn out?

Without the Canadian hype machine, they'd be neck and neck.

I disagree completely. Canada is used to having elite prospects, as soon as the states get an elite player it goes full hype mode. Kessel was being compared to Crosby by Americans, guys like Saad go from sure fire top 5 picks before the year falling into the second round, Ebert was the next elite American dman etc

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Honestly can't remember Yakupov and Galchenyuk, but it was definitely brought up with Seguin/Hall with regularity. It was brought up as a negative against Couturier as well. But hey, don't let that get in the way of exposing the Canadian conspiracy to get McDavid drafted #1.

That seems like media overthink in Hall vs Seguin. The only case where it truly mattered was Jones vs MacKinnon, where Jones was nearly a full year older. Yakupov was even older than Galchenyuk than either Eichel vs McDavid or Seguin vs Hall.

Last edited:

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
....and in America he wouldn't so.....?

In Canada he would be playing older competition than Mcdavid and slightly better competition due to his birth year, therefore that is why some people assume Eichel would have an advantage due to his birth year, and why people are using it as an excuse, all i was doing was pointing it our because the poster Americandream couldn't understand the rationale from some other posters, or at least trying to, the skill difference in minor hockey is small compared to bantam/midget leagues, so like i said, little difference.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This debate reminds me so much of Kessel vs Crosby. I bet the difference in McDavid and Eichel ends up similar to Crosby vs Kessel.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That seems like media overthink in Hall vs Seguin. The only case where it truly mattered was Jones vs MacKinnon, where Jones was nearly a full year older. Yakupov was even older than Galchenyuk than either Eichel vs McDavid or Seguin vs Hall.

I think it was actually far more significant with Hall/Seguin than it is here, because Hall was a third year OHL player while Seguin had only played two seasons. McDavid's situation throws things out of whack though.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think it was actually far more significant with Hall/Seguin than it is here, because Hall was a third year OHL player while Seguin had only played two seasons. McDavid's situation throws things out of whack though.

That I believe, could indeed be an issue. An extra year in the CHL would make a fairly big difference, in a similar way that Galchenyuk missing a year probably put him a bit behind Yakupov in the immediate sense.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This debate reminds me so much of Kessel vs Crosby. I bet the difference in McDavid and Eichel ends up similar to Crosby vs Kessel.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I strongly believe that Eichel will be significantly better than Kessel and McDavid will be significantly worse than Crosby.

Billybaroo*

You're welcome to your opinion, but I strongly believe that Eichel will be significantly better than Kessel and McDavid will be significantly worse than Crosby.

Oh my. Thats quite something.Eichel is now basically Crosby+.
The American hype machine is starting to roll.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
They are just completely different type of players/centers (is Eichel Center, I suppose so).
McDavid is light-footed speedster with stunning agility and lateral movement added with top-end skills and hands.

Eichel is more a Barkov-type of big body center forward with long "slowish" strides and cerebral game.

McDavid should have top-notch vision as well. However, they play very different kind of game.

McDavid should be better and more dangerous as of now playing in juniors - and most likely a bit "better" also going forward. Yet, some of the merits and virtues in Eichel's game that bode well regarding NHL future are not to be found in McDavid's urgent style, not yet at least.

So, the comparing of the two might be a waste of time, to be honest. They play so different styles -.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Eichel is more a Barkov-type of big body center forward with long "slowish" strides and cerebral game.

Eichel's speed is deceptive. He has a very powerful stride that allows him to close in on opposing players within a few strides. You can see how it really throws guys off, as he's on them far faster than they anticipate. Very powerful skater.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
^ Yes. He looks deceptively fast when he wants to. Quite like Barkov who seems to have made long strides (pun intended) in his skating department last off season.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
We have a year and a half to poke holes in their games. I personally don't think McDavid will live up to the Crosby hype, that's simply such a high level to be arguably the best player in the game and inarguably top 3 and one of the greatest players of all time. That said, I think the 2014-2015 season is shaping up to be a good season to be a fan of a terrible NHL team.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I disagree completely. Canada is used to having elite prospects, as soon as the states get an elite player it goes full hype mode. Kessel was being compared to Crosby by Americans, guys like Saad go from sure fire top 5 picks before the year falling into the second round, Ebert was the next elite American dman etc
Hold on, do you remember which network started the Kessel vs. Crosby comparison? That's right, it was TSN, Canada's network. Specifically, it was Pierre McGuire when he said "X number of scouts prefer Kessel to Crosby" or something to that affect. That's what really started it.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Both of these prospects are fantastic and 2015 could be one of those Ovechkin/Malkin drafts where you can't lose.

The knock on Eichel's speed, I'm not seeing it. Paying attention to the transition game, he flies past guys wearing both color sweaters, and I don't recall him getting caught from behind. It's not the same as quickness mind you, but his top-end looks better than most.

McDavid has done nothing to hurt his stock in this tournament, but I feel Eichel has done more to help his. His vision and passing are much better than I expected, that's why he's running the #1 PP from the half-wall. Speed was a question, he answered it. Compete? Answered. Hockey IQ? Absolutely answered. Defensively he's not Sam Reinhart or Scott Laughton, nor is he asked to be.

For a 2015 to impact this tourney where it's rare enough for current draft-year prospects to even play, let alone do anything meaningful, is impressive. That he's such a key cog on a team that is no weak sister, it's that much more impressive. Both guys really, but Eichel is more important to USA at this point than McDavid is to Canada.

I'm sure 30 out of 30 GM's take McDavid #1 if the 2015 draft is held tomorrow, but they've noticed Jack Eichel, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hold on, do you remember which network started the Kessel vs. Crosby comparison? That's right, it was TSN, Canada's network. Specifically, it was Pierre McGuire when he said "X number of scouts prefer Kessel to Crosby" or something to that affect. That's what really started it.

This is true...I fought so much on this board about crosby I rememver mcguire saying that....lol I fought with people who told me there was no way crosby was close to robbie schremp...the brule was better....then kessel lol.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Theres the goal! Eichel is not even in the same league as McDavid as far as ive seen
Eichel has been at least as good as McDavid in the few games that have been played so far.

That's not meant as a knock on McDavid as I stated in another thread I feel he is a superior prospect but I'm not sure what tournament you've been watching based on your comment.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Eichel's speed is deceptive. He has a very powerful stride that allows him to close in on opposing players within a few strides. You can see how it really throws guys off, as he's on them far faster than they anticipate. Very powerful skater.

Sounds a bit like Spezza before all the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad