Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contract Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So Laine's camp still hasn't distanced themselves from this story or disavowed Jalonen? Not looking good.

What story? I mean, what not-even-remotely-close-to-truth interpretation of the story, told by Little-hater Jalonen and then translated to English do you mean?

Laine said nothing that should cause you to twist your pants. Like Wheeler said, it's positive trait for a NHL player to want more TOI etc.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Jalonen has gone out of his way to say that Laine loves Winnipeg, I have to think that he's not doing that of his own good nature. I don't think this usage stuff is a secret though.

Jalonen also said in another interview Laine feels he could score 50 with a skilled centre.... while i mean he could and he will score 50. If he thinks last season he could have had 20 more goals
Playing the way he did if he played with Scheifele 5v5 this kids ego needs to be checked. He was not good 5v5, sure ya maybe a better centre could add some goals. But based on his small stint results with Hayes and Scheifele theres no way he would have came close to 50.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
If connor doesn't by the start of the season, what does that mean???...he doesn't want to be in Wpg!!!???

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jalonen also said in another interview Laine feels he could score 50 with a skilled centre.... while i mean he could and he will score 50. If he thinks last season he could have had 20 more goals
Playing the way he did if he played with Scheifele 5v5 this kids ego needs to be checked. He was not good 5v5, sure ya maybe a better centre could add some goals. But based on his small stint results with Hayes and Scheifele theres no way he would have came close to 50.

Well he scored and paced 45 his first two years. Not a stretch to think he could get 5 more with first line ice time while playing with a top 10 C.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Maybe Patty can start playing better 5x5 and deserve playing on the “top line “
I think the comments are more frustrating at his own performance He has to play better than Ehlers and Connors to deserve to be with the “top line”
I do agree with him about the coach favouring the vets. Little is now a 3rd line Center and just don’t have the chemistry with Laine

wheelers and schief weren't exactly gangbusters 5v5, their analytics were terrible! does that mean they should also start to play better also?
Mo too stubborn keeping Scheifele and Wheels together. Let Wheels play Center. We have many capable wingers to ice two strong top lines
He over played those two together last season.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
There hasn't much talk about C9nnor in this thread but the fact that he isn't signed is peculiar given that very single one of his comps are in. I would have expected it to be done by now. Laine I can understand given Ratanen is still unsigned go out not Connor.
I wonder also about buff taking a LOA, there does seems to be a lot of stuff happening since the middle of last season, wonder what is going on in the dressing room?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
“There’s top lines and then there’s our line,” Laine said.

Yes, and what exactly is your problem with that?

In that article there was stated that Little's line was deployed usually as a 3rd line. And right after that Laine's comment that there are top lines [CSW & CLT] and then our line [ELL].

What is the problem with that statement that it was 100% truth and 100% public information.

Reactions: HHel and Psych0dad

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Regarding that article, I’m pretty sure it was by the same “journalist” who has written several articles where he’s downplaying Little.

Patty was talking about his TOI in that interview, whereas the interviewer kept referring to Little with the “he’s only had 11 primary assists on the 110 (can’t remember) goals Patrik has scored” to make it sound like Laine had an issue with him. I’m absolutely confident Laine was talking about TOI and his role on the team as a contention point whereas the journalist was painting that as being down on Little.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

In that article there was stated that Little's line was deployed usually as a 3rd line. And right after that Laine's comment that there are top lines [CSW & CLT] and then our line [ELL].

What is the problem with that statement that it was 100% truth and 100% public information.

Yeah Scheif is the main offensive line while Lowrys line was the main defensive line. Littles line is the secondary offensive line meant to get the easier matchups.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well he scored and paced 45 his first two years. Not a stretch to think he could get 5 more with first line ice time while playing with a top 10 C.
His shooting volume and location in year 3 would have ended up with >45 goals if he had the same shooting % as in his first two seasons. He had a run of bad luck after November.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah when you add some context it just sounds like him stating a fact. Maurice hard matched both the Scheifele and Lowry lines all of last year. They were his most trusted lines, nothing wrong with what he said at all.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
His shooting volume and location in year 3 would have ended up with >45 goals if he had the same shooting % as in his first two seasons. He had a run of bad luck after November.

I think it was more the quality of those shots. There is shot quality based on location and then there is shot quality based on hitting the right targets. Laine was swimming up hill for his two biggest no goal stretches. Most of his shots during that time were no where near his typical calibre.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think it was more the quality of those shots. There is shot quality based on location and then there is shot quality based on hitting the right targets. Laine was swimming up hill for his two biggest no goal stretches. Most of his shots during that time were no where near his typical calibre.

This. (And low confidence, and reportedly his back problems affecting as well)

There is no such thing as sustained luck or sustained bad luck. Just doesn't happen.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

He's taking a shot as his line mates.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Individual expected goals (per Corsica Hockey), all situations:

2016/17: 17.5
2017/18: 24.5
2018/19: 22.0

Laine usually breaks the expected goal model because of his outrageous shooting talent, but this gives an indication that his expected goals in 2018/19 weren't that much different than 2017/18, and higher than his rookie season.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Nope, as his shot was clearly weaker and more inaccurate last season, thus he was shooting way too often straight at the goalie with less velocity than usually before. He had very visible problems with his shooting. I could see it very clearly already around December. This is also why those non end result based stats are so often pretty useless, as they don't really tell the absolute truth about things. The amount of goals is the absolute truth in hockey, and they are in the end achieved by doing things right for scoring the goal. There’s just two ways to do things when you have a scoring chance, to do the right things that lead into a goal, or to do things that much wrong in the situation, that the result isn’t a goal after all. Laine was physically challenged last season to have a good enough shot to have a better shooting percentage and score more actual goals. No one should be looking at his shooting percentage without understanding the real context with things.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
or he just wants to play with the top line and feel's he earned it.
Here's the full tweet:

#NHLJets Laine tells @PekkaJalonen "When you're having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with. With the merits I have, somewhere else I'd have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that." 1/2

#NHLJets Laine adds to @PekkaJalonen "There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I'm told to play." Pekka's story https://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/a/ef2c162d-e23e-4b60-b8b3-986d2da28043 … Thanks to Pekka for translation.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I would still like to know why some hf members think sitting Patrik out for the whole season, would increase his trade value?!!

Not trainig with or not playing with NHL players will NOT mkje you a better or more valuable trade comodity IMHO.

Sitting out the season would not increase his value.
That doesn't mean trading him for a return that is well below what he should be worth is the right way to go.

There's a bunch of scenarios of how this plays out but I would take sitting him out this year over trading him right now at a very weakened position (no contract signed, coming off a bad season, at a time when very few teams can make a realistic trade offer, cap space issues etc...).

Best thing for everyone is for Laine to sign a bridge deal that they agree to and see where it goes from there. It could lead to a quick contract extension like Morrissey or Laine being traded.

Something that is going to effect the Jets for the next 10 or so years is not something I would be willing to rush because people like yourself think that's the best thing for the player.

There's 2 parties here... the player and the team.
The team has more control of the situation then the player at the moment so it's up to them to navigate how to move forward.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Here's the full tweet:

#NHLJets Laine tells @PekkaJalonen "When you're having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with. With the merits I have, somewhere else I'd have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that." 1/2

#NHLJets Laine adds to @PekkaJalonen "There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I'm told to play." Pekka's story https://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/a/ef2c162d-e23e-4b60-b8b3-986d2da28043 … Thanks to Pekka for translation.
that really doesn't dispute my point at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad