Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contract Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Even after signing one the Jets would still have the third most cap space in the league. The teams that would have more Colorado (Need to sign Rataneb), Columbus (No second roubd pick), Ottawa (Cheap owner). If the Jets can't afford to match then no one can afford to present an offer sheet. The threat of one isn't the least bit credible imo.

But they still don't know what Laine's contract will be.
What if they actually got to a number on a 6+ year contract for Laine that they couldn't pass up? Then maybe they need to get Connor to take a bridge deal like Morrissey with the plan of extending as soon as they can after that?

Basically don't show your hand until you know all the details.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jalonen also said in another interview Laine feels he could score 50 with a skilled centre.... while i mean he could and he will score 50. If he thinks last season he could have had 20 more goals
Playing the way he did if he played with Scheifele 5v5 this kids ego needs to be checked. He was not good 5v5, sure ya maybe a better centre could add some goals. But based on his small stint results with Hayes and Scheifele theres no way he would have came close to 50.
Laine had 30 goals in a down year with a center he doesn't gel with. He led the league in posts+crossbars (15). He played less minutes than he would've on the top line. It's not unreasonable to suggest that Laine would've been able to hit 50 playing top line minutes with the best center on the team and a little puck luck.

Oh, he also played 28 fewer minutes against an empty net than Wheeler...cheap goals are still goals! ;)

Reactions: HHel and PhilJets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
AstrophysicalJet said:
What 3rdline players avg. 17 mins a game?

The ones that get their ice time after the Scheifele and the Lowry lines.

Were talking about 5v5 vs PP here.
Apples to oranges.
Laine's 5v5 time is usually quite down but his PP time gets his avg TOI up.

There's no doubt most games that Patty's line was rolling 3rd off the bench.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Maybe Patty can start playing better 5x5 and deserve playing on the “top line “
I think the comments are more frustrating at his own performance He has to play better than Ehlers and Connors to deserve to be with the “top line”
I do agree with him about the coach favouring the vets. Little is now a 3rd line Center and just don’t have the chemistry with Laine
Mo too stubborn keeping Scheifele and Wheels together. Let Wheels play Center. We have many capable wingers to ice two strong top lines
He over played those two together last season.

Split up Scheif and Wheels - Sure... HELL YA in fact.

Play Wheeler at Center? No thanks, that's a really bad misuse of him unless we have Scheif out with injury.

Put players with Little who fit better and watch both lines flourish. The focus is always on Laine but the best reason to split him and Little is that Little will do better as well. Lots of guys on the team play better with 18.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What defines a superstar? Scheifele is a much better player than Laine. So is Wheeler. And Connor outplayed him last year. Laine will never get more points than Scheifele if they play on the same line. Since Scheifele is the gifted center Laine covets playing with, his assist totals will go up the same amount as Laine's goal totals, plus Scheifele is capable of scoring a lot on his own.

Your sort of assuming that Laine won't get any better on his own.
Seems like an unfair assumption.
Kind of like saying Bambi was all he was ever going to be at 21.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nope, as his shot was clearly weaker and more inaccurate last season, thus he was shooting way too often straight at the goalie with less velocity than usually before. He had very visible problems with his shooting. I could see it very clearly already around December. This is also why those non end result based stats are so often pretty useless, as they don't really tell the absolute truth about things. The amount of goals is the absolute truth in hockey, and they are in the end achieved by doing things right for scoring the goal. There’s just two ways to do things when you have a scoring chance, to do the right things that lead into a goal, or to do things that much wrong in the situation, that the result isn’t a goal after all. Laine was physically challenged last season to have a good enough shot to have a better shooting percentage and score more actual goals. No one should be looking at his shooting percentage without understanding the real context with things.
It means his shooting percentage was lower last season, despite getting as many shots and from similar locations. I was ascribing it to bad luck, you are ascribing it to bad shooting. I think there was a bit of both, and maybe it was more poor shooting due to health issues. Whatever the case, he had the same opportunities to score last season as in the first two seasons, he just didn't score as often. That's not the fault of his coach or teammates. If he scored 45+ goals everyone would be happy.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Regarding that article, I’m pretty sure it was by the same “journalist” who has written several articles where he’s downplaying Little.

Patty was talking about his TOI in that interview, whereas the interviewer kept referring to Little with the “he’s only had 11 primary assists on the 110 (can’t remember) goals Patrik has scored” to make it sound like Laine had an issue with him. I’m absolutely confident Laine was talking about TOI and his role on the team as a contention point whereas the journalist was painting that as being down on Little.

The reporter shouldn't be slagging the player in this case. The player is subject to aging like everyone else but still gives 100%, even if his results are closer to 60%. The reporter should be slagging the coach who refuses to either see or react to this natural process.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The reporter shouldn't be slagging the player in this case. The player is subject to aging like everyone else but still gives 100%, even if his results are closer to 60%. The reporter should be slagging the coach who refuses to either see or react to this natural process.
Which C should the coach have used instead? The issue isn't the coach somehow manufacturing a new C, it's where to play his four wingers. Obviously, only two of them get to play with the #1C. Everyone wanted to play with Scheifele all the time, but that wasn't possible.

Reactions: Jets 31

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Which C should the coach have used instead? The issue isn't the coach somehow manufacturing a new C, it's where to play his four wingers. Obviously, only two of them get to play with the #1C. Everyone wanted to play with Scheifele all the time, but that wasn't possible.

Some combination that doesn't involve LL. That leaves Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Perrault, Copp as possibilities for the top six. Six players. Not sure of the math, but something like:

6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 720 possibilities. Even if you take out the 6 it still leaves 120.

Reactions: Halberdier

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you've been paying attention, Laine's camp has been indicating he's unhappy with 2nd line deployment for quite some time - at least since last fall. Keen observers may also have noticed that the Jets have traded away 2 x 1st round picks, Erik Foley and Brendan Lemieux to upgrade their 2nd line C over the last 2 deadlines...it seems like at least someone in management thinks Laine needs a different C (that someone is not Maurice, though).

So Laine's comments should not come as a surprise to anyone around here.
How do you know that's not Maurice wanting the centers ? Seems to me we got Stastny and Maurice put Stastny with Laine right away , we got Hayes and he was put with Laine as well . Stastny and Laine meshed very well , too bad we couldn't sign Stastny but we tried . Hayes and Laine didn't mesh , too bad but it happens . Maybe Copp can get a chance with Laine this season but i'd rather see Laine with Scheif and Wheeler with Little myself .

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Laine had 30 goals in a down year with a center he doesn't gel with. He led the league in posts+crossbars (15). He played less minutes than he would've on the top line. It's not unreasonable to suggest that Laine would've been able to hit 50 playing top line minutes with the best center on the team and a little puck luck.

Oh, he also played 28 fewer minutes against an empty net than Wheeler...cheap goals are still goals! ;)

Play better defensively and he may get more time on the top line against the other team's best and with the empty net.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It means his shooting percentage was lower last season, despite getting as many shots and from similar locations. I was ascribing it to bad luck, you are ascribing it to bad shooting. I think there was a bit of both, and maybe it was more poor shooting due to health issues. Whatever the case, he had the same opportunities to score last season as in the first two seasons, he just didn't score as often. That's not the fault of his coach or teammates. If he scored 45+ goals everyone would be happy.
I do even partially agree with you, as of course some effect on his weaker scoring was from some bad luck, but I’m still sure that the biggest reason for his smaller amount of goals was simply the back problems.

I do also have to say that even though luck can be in some situations a really important factor even, in general it is still so that players usually make their own luck. What I mean is when a player has much more of the so called bad luck, it usually tells that he hasn't been as well focused and accurate with his scoring chances. A season is already that big of a sample size that the truly completely luck based scoring chances aren’t really that meaningful.

Anyway even if luck had some smaller part in Laine’s weaker goal total, it doesnt still mean that he wasn't affected by some means by unfavorable usage by Maurice. And even more he was in my opinion affected by his back problems, and maybe by some part by being occasionally even less motivated than at best. But I believe these mentioned factors probably affected that by some means too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I do even partially agree with you, as of course some effect on his weaker scoring was from some bad luck, but I’m still sure that the biggest reason for his smaller amount of goals was simply the back problems.

I do also have to say that even though luck can be in some situations a really important factor even, in general it is still so that players usually make their own luck. What I mean is when a player has much more of the so called bad luck, it usually tells that he hasn't been as well focused and accurate with his scoring chances. A season is already that big of a sample size that the truly completely luck based scoring aren’t really that meaningful.

Anyway even if luck had some smaller part in Laine’s weaker goal total, it doesnt still mean that he wasn't affected by some means by unfavorable usage by Maurice. And even more he was in my opinion affected by his back problems, and maybe by some part by being occasionally even less motivated than at best. But I believe these mentioned factors probably affected that by some means too.
My point is that if his shooting was up to his previous standards he would have scored 45+ goals and there wouldn't be all the carping about his usage.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
One was here this summer. One has said he wants to be here long term. One has a history of more consistent effort despite having lesser talent.
One had a career year the other a down year.
One says the PC cliche’s the other is a straightforward person.
To say Laine’s effort isn’t consistent through his 3 years is patently false.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The ones that get their ice time after the Scheifele and the Lowry lines.
giphy.gif

Lowry averaged 14:38
Copp 12:10
Ehlers 15:46
Little 15:50
Perreault 12:14
Roslo 9:45

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Yeah of course, just saying I’m pretty sure the interviewer painted that picture as he’s iirc had a history of downplaying Little, and not something Laine said.

Reactions: Board Bard

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
They did put up points! For example, 15% of Wheeler's goals last season were scored into an empty net... ;)

Hah we’re talking 40+ points here.

Plus look up 5v5 p/60 you’ll see wheeler and scheifele up at the top at 1.99. You’ll find Laine nestled between Nic Petan and Cameron Schilling at 1.35

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There was an article in the Athletic recently that said basically the same thing about Little, and everyone seems to love the Athletic. Talked about how the jets have to find a 2c to replace Little because he’s fading.

Chevy knows it too based on giving away two firsts.

Nothing at all against Bryan, just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad