Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contract Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Columbus giving Laine a long, expensive contract (10.5M, 8 years) would be a remote possibility. A gamble, but a gamble that might turn out to be golden very soon and super cheap after a couple of seasons. Moderate-to-high risk with tremendous upside. Remember that Columbus lost Panarin.

Don't se3 that happening as the Blue Jackets have little in the way of prospects given how the mortgaged the future the last few years.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Columbus giving Laine a long, expensive contract (10.5M, 8 years) would be a remote possibility. A gamble, but a gamble that might turn out to be golden very soon and super cheap after a couple of seasons. Moderate-to-high risk with tremendous upside. Remember that Columbus lost Panarin.

I think we just take the 4 1sts and hope that Columbus sucks. They have some decent players but I dont think Laine puts them over the edge and their goaltending is highly suspect. Laine probably plays with PLD. We've yet to see what PLD can do without Panarin. That contract is a massive gamble for them as well. Could look great by next year or could be an albatross they'll have to deal with for the next decade almost.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I still believe at least one W should go. There is no point to spend around 30 M for four W while there is only one capable C.. Money could be spent more wisely.

Jets have drafted and developed great W’s but the overall balance is off.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we just take the 4 1sts and hope that Columbus sucks. They have some decent players but I dont think Laine puts them over the edge and their goaltending is highly suspect. Laine probably plays with PLD. We've yet to see what PLD can do without Panarin. That contract is a massive gamble for them as well. Could look great by next year or could be an albatross they'll have to deal with for the next decade almost.
They need to fill the seats in Columbus. They've traditionally had a pretty fickle crowd - hovering around 80% capacity at home during lean years (~14,500). I could see them taking a shot. I think the Jets match any offer sheet though.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
"Laine quotes"

Actually that article you posted was an interview of a tabloid scandal journalist, who in turn had made an interview of Laine. And those things you are calling "Laine quotes" are quotes about what Pekka Jalonen feels that Laine might think about playing with othet centers than Scheifele. Check it yourself from the link you provided.

You just can't use interview of an interviewer as a source. Why didn't that Canadian magazine contact Laine and asked whether he likes to play with Little? Now they had to resort to "journalist" Pekka Jalonen who feels that Laine doesn't like that.

Ps. in that article Jalonen is portrayed as someone that has followed Laine long time, kind of an insider. He is not. Obviously every Finnish hockey journalist did follow Laine during his FEL season, and if not other, at least his incredible playoff run and World Championship tournament. But Jalonen was not a special, and I highly doubt that he followed Laine before everyone was touting his name in 2016.

Pps. Not everything what Jalonen said was false. And maybe he is right about his feeling about what Laine thinks about the situation. But you cannot say Laine is saying bad things about his linemates when actually it's Jalonen who thinks Laine might think so. Jalonen was at least correct on that Laine is his own hardest critic, but you don't have to read his mind to come to this conclusion.
“There’s top lines and then there’s our line,” Laine said.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I still believe at least one W should go. There is no point to spend around 30 M for four W while there is only one capable C.. Money could be spent more wisely.

Jets have drafted and developed great W’s but the overall balance is off.

I think most here would agree, but the question is, which wing? Trade Laine, giving up on a possibly generational scorer but receiving back the pieces to balance out that wing-heavy roster? Keeping KC should mean a consistent 25 - 35 goals for a good long while, but what team doesn't want a superstar as the face of the team and an important money spinner, especially one with the market reach of a Laine?

Tough call.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

1. An offer sheet can only be 7 years.
2. A long term big money offer sheet would surely be matched. A big money short term deal would less likely be matched. 4 years 10.5m taking him to UFA status would be a better predatory offer.

Reactions: Halberdier

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Maybe Patty can start playing better 5x5 and deserve playing on the “top line “
I think the comments are more frustrating at his own performance He has to play better than Ehlers and Connors to deserve to be with the “top line”
I do agree with him about the coach favouring the vets. Little is now a 3rd line Center and just don’t have the chemistry with Laine
Mo too stubborn keeping Scheifele and Wheels together. Let Wheels play Center. We have many capable wingers to ice two strong top lines
He over played those two together last season.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think most here would agree, but the question is, which wing? Trade Laine, giving up on a possibly generational scorer but receiving back the pieces to balance out that wing-heavy roster? Keeping KC should mean a consistent 25 - 35 goals for a good long while, but what team doesn't want a superstar as the face of the team and an important money spinner, especially one with the market reach of a Laine?

Tough call.
Don’t have the answer. If I had to choose I would end the bromance and trade Laine or Ehlers. KC is a keeper with reasonable price.

I still believe that the best scenario would have been to give up Wheeler. That one is too late now.

Reactions: Ippenator

paragon

May 5, 2010
2. A long term big money offer sheet would surely be matched. A big money short term deal would less likely be matched. 4 years 10.5m taking him to UFA status would be a better predatory offer.
1 year would be even more predatory, because it gives the new team a chance to extend for 8 years after one year, but it also works as a 10.5M x 4 for Winnipeg, if they match, because they have to keep giving 10.5M qualifying offers.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I'm not convinced a long term big money deal would be a slam dunk to be matched, especially if it was in the 4 1sts variety and if the team didn't want to spend that on Laine, and especially if it came from a just gutted Blue Jackets squad. The Jets could easily take the 41sts, and use the available cap space and assets to either get long term solutions at 2C and 1RHD (more expensive use of assets), or get short term players from cap strapped teams (less expensive use of assets), and keep the draft capital.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
for a good long while, but what team doesn't want a superstar as the face of the team and an important money spinner, especially one with the market reach of a Laine?
What defines a superstar? Scheifele is a much better player than Laine. So is Wheeler. And Connor outplayed him last year. Laine will never get more points than Scheifele if they play on the same line. Since Scheifele is the gifted center Laine covets playing with, his assist totals will go up the same amount as Laine's goal totals, plus Scheifele is capable of scoring a lot on his own.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They have Dubois as an RFA next season, and a very good chance that he'll want as much or more than Laine would get.

If the Blue Jackets signed and offer sheet with Laine with four 1sts as compensation, I think I might take the picks if I were the Jets. The Blue Jackets might be a lottery team for the next few seasons. Their #1 goalie has a save% <0.900 over the past 3 seasons, a bunch of their "core" forwards are 30+ years old, and their prospect pool is bottom-10 in the NHL. If they acquired Laine via Offer Sheet they would have zero picks in the top 62 in the next two drafts. As a team that is clearly not a big draw for free agents, they could be a gong show in the next 5-7 years.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
They have Dubois as an RFA next season, and a very good chance that he'll want as much or more than Laine would get.

If the Blue Jackets signed and offer sheet with Laine with four 1sts as compensation, I think I might take the picks if I were the Jets. The Blue Jackets might be a lottery team for the next few seasons. Their #1 goalie has a save% <0.900 over the past 3 seasons, a bunch of their "core" forwards are 30+ years old, and their prospect pool is bottom-10 in the NHL. If they acquired Laine via Offer Sheet they would have zero picks in the top 62 in the next two drafts. As a team that is clearly not a big draw for free agents, they could be a gong show in the next 5-7 years.
pretty much the reason why I think there is no chance they send out an offer sheet of 4 1st's

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Don’t have the answer. If I had to choose I would end the bromance and trade Laine or Ehlers. KC is a keeper with reasonable price.

I still believe that the best scenario would have been to give up Wheeler. That one is too late now.
Agreed 100%. I've been saying that for a few years now.

Reactions: Psych0dad

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
“There’s top lines and then there’s our line,” Laine said.

nikolaj-ehlers-bryan-little-and-patrik-laine.jpg

Well they aren't the top line nor have they been deployed like one. Is that throwing people under the bus or just stating a fact.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So Laine's camp still hasn't distanced themselves from this story or disavowed Jalonen? Not looking good.

Jalonen has gone out of his way to say that Laine loves Winnipeg, I have to think that he's not doing that of his own good nature. I don't think this usage stuff is a secret though.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Jalonen has gone out of his way to say that Laine loves Winnipeg, I have to think that he's not doing that of his own good nature. I don't think this usage stuff is a secret though.

Yes, I think someone had a talk with Jalonen. i.e. if you you keep making crap up to make me look bad, you'll never get another interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad