Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contract Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He did not take a shot at Little. From what I read (from Jets board translations), the reporter said to him that Maurice has publically said he is a fan of Little and Laine said that he noticed. That's it. How does that trash Little? He has noticed that the coach is a fan of Littles, so have other people who follow the team.
You haven't read all of Laine's quotes then. Once you are up to speed, then you can comment.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
A few people here jumping to point out one culprit for all the jets problems. Laine is being immature and foolish. Maurice is still awful at managing ice time.

The two can exist in the same universe at the same time.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, in a way his refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses in his own game are either disingenuous or unrealistic.

I believe the clarification stated that Laine wasn't happy with his play. Isn't that a case of the player admitting that they have to improve? The article also said Laine was training like a horse to do everything possible to help the team. Seems that he is taking some personal accountability for it and working on his game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
In truth - The reality of all this is somewhere inbetween what Laines’ fanboys are saying, and what his detractors are saying.

Some of the filth being slung is too harsh, but some are also being a little too generous with Laine.

Same can also be said for PoMo, and Wheeler imo.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I would still like to know why some hf members think sitting Patrik out for the whole season, would increase his trade value?!!

Not trainig with or not playing with NHL players will NOT mkje you a better or more valuable trade comodity IMHO.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Thanks but I don't see anything in there that I don't agree with or haven't agreed with for a long time, and this is an interview of the tabloid guy, not Laine. Not that I have any trouble believing that Laine would have said he wants to play with the best, he's said that in public before. Nothing wrong with that.

Laine himself seems to avoid talking about specific linemates but the tabloid guy brings his own interpretation into it. I'm sure it's still correct, most of this board has been voicing concerns about Little and Laine as a line for years. I'm sure Laine knows the dysfunction even better than us viewers.

Good that he knows his worth and is asking for a better role. We have complained about it on forums, but it does not make a difference to his usage. Coming out in the media stating that he wants a different role, is the way to make that change. He just got tired of waiting and now he is telling them what he will sign and what he won't. He owes them no more years of poor use, he never owed them any of those but got plenty.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
You haven't read all of Laine's quotes then. Once you are up to speed, then you can comment.

"Laine quotes"

Actually that article you posted was an interview of a tabloid scandal journalist, who in turn had made an interview of Laine. And those things you are calling "Laine quotes" are quotes about what Pekka Jalonen feels that Laine might think about playing with othet centers than Scheifele. Check it yourself from the link you provided.

You just can't use interview of an interviewer as a source. Why didn't that Canadian magazine contact Laine and asked whether he likes to play with Little? Now they had to resort to "journalist" Pekka Jalonen who feels that Laine doesn't like that.

Ps. in that article Jalonen is portrayed as someone that has followed Laine long time, kind of an insider. He is not. Obviously every Finnish hockey journalist did follow Laine during his FEL season, and if not other, at least his incredible playoff run and World Championship tournament. But Jalonen was not a special, and I highly doubt that he followed Laine before everyone was touting his name in 2016.

Pps. Not everything what Jalonen said was false. And maybe he is right about his feeling about what Laine thinks about the situation. But you cannot say Laine is saying bad things about his linemates when actually it's Jalonen who thinks Laine might think so. Jalonen was at least correct on that Laine is his own hardest critic, but you don't have to read his mind to come to this conclusion.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There hasn't much talk about C9nnor in this thread but the fact that he isn't signed is peculiar given that very single one of his comps are in. I would have expected it to be done by now. Laine I can understand given Ratanen is still unsigned go out not Connor.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There hasn't much talk about C9nnor in this thread but the fact that he isn't signed is peculiar given that very single one of his comps are in. I would have expected it to be done by now. Laine I can understand given Ratanen is still unsigned go out not Connor.
The theory I heard is that the Jets would prefer both signings were announced at the same time to avoid one of them getting an offer sheet the Jets could no longer afford to match.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The theory I heard is that the Jets would prefer both signings were announced at the same time to avoid one of them getting an offer sheet the Jets could no longer afford to match.

Even after signing one the Jets would still have the third most cap space in the league. The teams that would have more Colorado (Need to sign Rataneb), Columbus (No second roubd pick), Ottawa (Cheap owner). If the Jets can't afford to match then no one can afford to present an offer sheet. The threat of one isn't the least bit credible imo.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, in a way his refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses in his own game are either disingenuous or unrealistic.

What are you talking about? His refusal? Jalonen's refusal? Laine's refusal?

What Laine's refusal to acknowledge the weaknesses on his own game? That's absurd. One thing Jalonen got right: Laine is the biggest critic of his own game and therefore claims that Laine was irritated by Wheeler demanding too much of him are not very believable. In fact when Laine does a mistake on ice (and those happen, you might have noticed :laugh:), he often kind of freezes for a short moment kind of cursing himself internally. That is a bad trait and I share the same trait.

Btw. somewhere else you claimed that Laine took no responsibility of his weaker season but only complained about his linemates, which was just false. On that interview he addresses his bad play, then his back problems. And regarding negotiations he states he is not happy with his 3rd line deployment. He wants to play more more and play with the top guys. He was not claiming his linemates caused his bad play, that's nonsense.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“There’s top lines and then there’s our line,” Laine said.

nikolaj-ehlers-bryan-little-and-patrik-laine.jpg

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Even after signing one the Jets would still have the third most cap space in the league. The teams that would have more Colorado (Need to sign Rataneb), Columbus (No second roubd pick), Ottawa (Cheap owner). If the Jets can't afford to match then no one can afford to present an offer sheet. The threat of one isn't the least bit credible imo.

Columbus giving Laine a long, expensive contract (10.5M, 8 years) would be a remote possibility. A gamble, but a gamble that might turn out to be golden very soon and super cheap after a couple of seasons. Moderate-to-high risk with tremendous upside. Remember that Columbus lost Panarin.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Solid theory -
Why disclose when you don't have to -
Even if an offer sheet is a remote possibility (affordable or not), why chance it and potentially force a match when you don't have to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad