Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Still

8.5M x 6 years for Laine
7x7 for KC

1 week, hope Chevy's team is getting this done the soonest.

In another news

Laine is ranked with 87 behind Scheifele and Wheeler in EAsports NHL ;)

Atrributes
Shot 86
Skate 1
Rest zero

Seriously some these posters are way off with how they make Laine like he can't play hockey and can only shoot :laugh:

The kid played 18 months of hockey and 4 rounds of playoff.
Some of you are assessing his plays based on his ridicilously bad 3 month stretch.
But in people its normal to concentrate on what someone is not good at than what they are good at.

Best is to break his whole body of work ELC and go from there. Then include age, usage, deployment and projection (players coming of elc). Most likely (definitely) they have assessment chart,metrics and forms to gauge each players performance.
I believe thats how real GM does it anyway.

Go KC
Go Laine

Better sign already. We need to whoop Trouba and the Rangers!!! Opening night..:D

Last edited:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Most likely the 10M is the starting point for the player camp. Same with the other agents with their clients.
Go high and the team work their way down from there.

At 8to 9M in 2-3 years thats how much you will pay a 30 goal scorer anyways.
So the probability of Laine being a bad signing at that range is slim. Compared to the probability of him exploding the next 2 years.

I think the worst time for a GM to bridge an elite talent level are players that will be coming off in their 22 to 24 years old, hitting their prime.

I can see the point for a lower tier player good players but lower ceiling.

I'd rather pay a goàl scorers at their 21 to 27 year of age prime money than 25 to 31.

Thats just me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought I would post this. Here are the last three GAR numbers for all of the young talent looking for deals, plus Echiel as he set another real high bar contract wise despite not proving much.

upload_2019-9-3_19-34-36.png

Laine in his first two seasons was keeping pace with Mathews and Rantenan (second year) and was pacing Marner, Aho while being well ahead of the rest including overpaid Eichel. Yes he had a very weak third year but you can see why his camp is likely looking for big dollars if he is to sign long term.

upload_2019-9-3_19-35-17.png

When you look at their aggregate GAR over the last three years, even when with his terrible third year Laine is keeping pace with Rantenan and Aho and not trailing Tkackuk by that much. Kyle Connor is well behind the rest of the pack and really shouldn't be making big bucks.

So I guess you have to make a call on the kid if going long term. Is he the player of the first two years that keeps pace with the likes of Marner and Rantenan in the tier below Mathews or should we factor in his down year and try to get him to an Aho type deal. I guess what I am saying is his bad year doesn't knock him down as much as people think. I personally think the Jets are either going to have to gamble on him if they want him long term or go for a 1 or two year bridge to see how he rebounds/grows.

The real interesting point on this graph is Point as he clearly should be getting paid the most based on impact (Granted he is two years older then Laine and Mathews).

Reactions: hn777 and PhilJets

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still think Chevy signs Laine for the so called dreaded 5 year deal. If this is the term he is seeking the AAV might be pretty close to what he would sign a 2-3 year deal for even though practically speaking they work out the same if a player wants out with arb rights. Take a couple years and see if he becomes a star or he becomes a one trick pony over that time. Then either trade in 2-3 years or re-sign in 4 years depending on the value and what you perceive what the player wants, just don't walk as far down the path Chevy did with Trouba so he can maximize the return.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still think Chevy signs Laine for the so called dreaded 5 year deal. If this is the term he is seeking the AAV might be pretty close to what he would sign a 2-3 year deal for even though practically speaking they work out the same if a player wants out with arb rights. Take a couple years and see if he becomes a star or he becomes a one trick pony over that time. Then either trade in 2-3 years or re-sign in 4 years depending on the value and what you perceive what the player wants, just don't walk as far down the path Chevy did with Trouba so he can maximize the return.

If his one trick is working like the first two seasons he still contributes a significant amount to winning. If he can add some dimensions he is more then worth the big dollars.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If his one trick is working like the first two seasons he still contributes a significant amount to winning. If he can add some dimensions he is more then worth the big dollars.
I meant 1 trick very broadly. I actually think Laine matures into a star player with more than a few 50+ goal seasons. He just isn't there yet.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

I meant 1 trick very broadly. I actually think Laine matures into a star player with more than a few 50+ goal seasons. He just isn't there yet.

Let’s hope......50 is easily within his potential

Reactions: ps241

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

That's the $10M question -
"IF" he is able to regain his game, he writes his own ticket - he's the player we all hope he is.
However, if he doesn't, he's a very expensive mistake that haunts the org for years.
I don't know the answer - I do know that he's not a shoe in to regain his game.

I believe Laine will never see another season where he scores at will - those days are over. The league hasn't necessarily figured him out but they do know how to play him better. He will never get the space he used to get and he'll always be a target when he's on the ice - teams will put guys on him tight - he'll get a lot less room and a lot less time - this is an absolute given.

So, to get around all of that, he needs to be a much better 200 ft player - quicker, faster, more nimble and much more adapt at making decisions that will get him out from under the coverage. The gamble is, can he be that type of player? In the past, he's never had to do those things to a great extent - including his first 2 years with the Jets.
This is a significant challenge for Patty and there's two major factors at play IMO -

1 - He needs to "want" to be a better all around player and he needs to understand that propping him up with better line mates is not a long term solution - he needs to learn the missing pcs playing with players that may not be top line players but who can help him.
2 - Walk before you run - "learn" these parts playing against lesser competition and develop to the point where you are ready to roll as a 200 ft player, with other elite 200 ft players, against top tier competition.

I recognize his achievements and bow to his amazing ability to put the puck in the net - I don't take anything away from him and I get why he's such a popular player on this team - he can be absolutely amazing at times.
But I also get that he needs to be more than what he is - I see him getting frustrated, not because he isn't getting top line minutes, but because of the points I've covered above - he sees what teams are doing to him and he's struggling with a solution without the necessary skills.
Hockey is Hard - he knows that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
"IF" he is able to regain his game, he writes his own ticket - he's the player we all hope he is.
However, if he doesn't, he's a very expensive mistake that haunts the org for years.

I believe Laine will never see another season where he scores at will - those days are over. The league hasn't necessarily figured him out but they do know how to play him better. He will never get the space he used to get and he'll always be a target when he's on the ice - teams will put guys on him tight - he'll get a lot less room and a lot less time - this is an absolute given.

So, to get around all of that, he needs to be a much better 200 ft player - quicker, faster, more nimble and much more adapt at making decisions that will get him out from under the coverage. The gamble is, can he be that type of player? In the past, he's never had to do those things to a great extent - including his first 2 years with the Jets.
This is a significant challenge for Patty and there's two major factors at play IMO -

1 - He needs to "want" to be a better all around player and he needs to understand that propping him up with better line mates is not a long term solution - he needs to learn the missing pcs playing with players that may not be top line players but who can help him.
2 - Walk before you run - "learn" these parts playing against lesser competition and develop to the point where you are ready to roll as a 200 ft player, with other elite 200 ft players, against top tier competition.

I recognize his achievements and bow to his amazing ability to put the puck in the net - I don't take anything away from him and I get why he's such a popular player on this team - he can be absolutely amazing at times.
But I also get that he needs to be more than what he is - I see him getting frustrated, not because he isn't getting top line minutes, but because of the points I've covered above - he sees what teams are doing to him and he's struggling with a solution without the necessary skills.

While I don't disagree that he needs to be better as an all around player and doing so will help him contribute more I think we are letting a half a season cloud our perception. I also don't buy that he can't still score at will, he did it just last November where nobody could stop him. These are NHL level coaches, do you really think it took them 2 and a half years to fully dissect his game and game plan him? I would wager his game was dissected and there was a book on him 20-40 games into his NHL career and it didn't help them. When he is feeling it he will put up elite goal totals, game planned or not imo. Look how long it took teams to game plan our PP and take away Wheelers time and space last year for just how quickly NHL teams adjust. I am not at all worried about his goal totals going forward, where I want to see improvement is in his play in his own end, transitioning it effectively out of his end and getting back to attacking defenders one on one with speed.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Laine played great when he felt like it last season. Finland trip, November with new linemate Connor, top line with Scheif / Wheeler, playoffs. Rest of the time looked like he was dogging it majorly to me.

I'd say he has some growing up to do but I'm not the least bit worried about him finding his game again. He already found it in the playoffs IMO, and as Whileee has posted several times he'd have had 45? Or so goals last season if he had his first two years' shot percentage.

He's also been playing on a line that has next to no chemistry for the past two years. He'll be fine IMO.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
While I don't disagree that he needs to be better as an all around player and doing so will help him contribute more I think we are letting a half a season cloud our perception. I also don't buy that he can't still score at will, he did it just last November where nobody could stop him. These are NHL level coaches, do you really think it took them 2 and a half years to fully dissect his game and game plan him? I would wager his game was dissected and there was a book on him 20-40 games into his NHL career and it didn't help them. When he is feeling it he will put up elite goal totals, game planned or not imo. Look how long it took teams to game plan our PP and take away Wheelers time and space last year for just how quickly NHL teams adjust. I am not at all worried about his goal totals going forward, where I want to see improvement is in his play in his own end, transitioning it effectively out of his end and getting back to attacking defenders one on one with speed.

Personally I haven't ever really been that concerned about his goal totals......he's easily a 30+ goal guy year after year......with 50 easily within his potential. My points have been more focused around the rest of his game like you mention in the last few lines above. Being great at one thing doesn't make any forward a superstar, being great at multi things makes you a franchise player. Personally I see Laines potential to be a 50g & 40 assists guys total 90 points, 100 points is a pretty big stretch for a guy with questionable skating ability......but I don't ever see him being a good two way guy......but he can improve his two way game to at least make it respectable. For him to push the play he needs to improve his skating & endurance IMO, but achievable with hard work. I wish he would be more willing to shoot from the high middle slot and close in dirty areas. His board & corner work needs strength/balance improvement and experience......both achievable with hard work.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Personally I haven't ever really been that concerned about his goal totals......he's easily a 30+ goal guy year after year......with 50 easily within his potential. My points have been more focused around the rest of his game like you mention in the last few lines above. Being great at one thing doesn't make any forward a superstar, being great at multi things makes you a franchise player. Personally I see Laines potential to be a 50g & 40 assists guys total 90 points, 100 points is a pretty big stretch for a guy with questionable skating ability......but I don't ever see him being a good two way guy......but he can improve his two way game to at least make it respectable. For him to push the play he needs to improve his skating & endurance IMO, but achievable with hard work. I wish he would be more willing to shoot from the high middle slot and close in dirty areas. His board & corner work needs strength/balance improvement and experience......both achievable with hard work.
What the heck??? I agree with you! :laugh:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Agree here. My only hope/worry is that he doesn't let the fact that he scores like nobody else stop him from pushing himself to improve his total game. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What the heck??? I agree with you! :laugh:

I haven't said anything that would go against anything in that post.........just at times I feel some don't like to read anything negative or constructive about their golden child Laine so they immediately get defensive about anything constructive/negative. I've never said a single time Laine doesn't have great potential.....I've always said Laine holds good value. All along I've said Laine has significant holes in his game (as I said above, just in more specific details), I just want some of his fans to acknowledge those holes and admit that Laine is responsible for fixing them instead of defecting everything or much of it onto others (line mates & coach & management). If wanting a player to be accountable & responsible for himself then I'm guilty of holding that vs Laine.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well sounds like he is working on speed and explosiveness this summer as well as continuing to work on strength so lets hope there is noticeable improvement there.

He also needs to be placed in a better position to succeed and grow his game then where he has been placed last year and no I don't mean he has to play with Schiefele if he doesn't earn it. He just can't play with Little. The more numbers I look and the more I think about it, it just boggles my mind that Maurice has insisted on those two together. Laine at this point is a pure trigger man and Maurice has been playing him largely with a C that can't create any offense for himself or his linemates anymore. No wonder he has had a hard time producing at 5 on 5 with Little. Give him a C that can create a bit and he performs (Scheifele, Stastney, heck even Wheeler at C).

If the goal was to provide Laine with a defensively reliable C to prop him up in his own end while he grows that area of his game then once again Maurice is clearly not looking at the data or is in denial. Little has declined significantly as a player and is now atrocious in his own end. So you are not only playing Laine with a C that he doesn't mesh with offensively but one who can't perform in his own end either. Our coach could have trusted the numbers more and tried Copp or even Roslovic in the middle. Both of which had positive defensive metrics. Heck Laine even did pretty well with Lowry who is all defense and no offensive creativity. His C just needed to provide offensive creativity or strong defense to put him in a better position to succeed.

Something I would like to see next year provided Maurice is still too afraid to break up the bromance.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perrault (driver and playmaker) - Copp (Defensive ability plus a bit of offense) - Laine (Triggerman)
Connor - Roslovic - Ves (Sheltered 3rd scoring line, time to trust the kids
Appelton - Lowry - Little

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well sounds like he is working on speed and explosiveness this summer as well as continuing to work on strength so lets hope there is noticeable improvement there.

He also needs to be placed in a better position to succeed and grow his game then where he has been placed last year and no I don't mean he has to play with Schiefele if he doesn't earn it. He just can't play with Little. The more numbers I look and the more I think about it, it just boggles my mind that Maurice has insisted on those two together. Laine at this point is a pure trigger man and Maurice has been playing him largely with a C that can't create any offense for himself or his linemates anymore. No wonder he has had a hard time producing at 5 on 5 with Little. Give him a C that can create a bit and he performs (Scheifele, Stastney, heck even Wheeler at C).

If the goal was to provide Laine with a defensively reliable C to prop him up in his own end while he grows that area of his game then once again Maurice is clearly not looking at the data or is in denial. Little has declined significantly as a player and is now atrocious in his own end. So you are not only playing Laine with a C that he doesn't mesh with offensively but one who can't perform in his own end either. Our coach could have trusted the numbers more and tried Copp or even Roslovic in the middle. Both of which had positive defensive metrics. Heck Laine even did pretty well with Lowry who is all defense and no offensive creativity. His C just needed to provide offensive creativity or strong defense to put him in a better position to succeed.

Something I would like to see next year provided Maurice is still too afraid to break up the bromance.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perrault (driver and playmaker) - Copp (Defensive ability plus a bit of offense) - Laine (Triggerman)
Connor - Roslovic - Ves (Sheltered 3rd scoring line, time to trust the kids
Appelton - Lowry - Little

I dont disagree with any of that, if you looked at some of my posts last year I hated the Little/Laine combo as well, it was like nails down a chalk board to me. Like I said I want to see how PMO handles the forwards & usage this year......very open to seeing new combos..........this year is a good time to try out new combos b/c expectations are lower this year compared to the two previous year's not to mention using the same old methods likely get the same results which will get PMO fired by seasons end. But by saying all that, that doesn't excuse the players (Laine & others) from stepping up this year and working their butts off and following instructions & executng the plan. Players & coaches all need to be better this year or it's going to be a very frustrating year for us all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont disagree with any of that, if you looked at some of my posts last year I hated the Little/Laine combo as well, it was like nails down a chalk board to me. Like I said I want to see how PMO handles the forwards & usage this year......very open to seeing new combos..........this year is a good time to try out new combos b/c expectations are lower this year compared to the two previous year's not to mention using the same old methods likely get the same results which will get PMO fired by seasons end. But by saying all that, that doesn't excuse the players (Laine & others) from stepping up this year and working their butts off and following instructions & executng the plan. Players & coaches all need to be better this year or it's going to be a very frustrating year for us all.

Agreed, everyone needs to step up and perform this year. I would be quite curious as to what the opening meeting between the coach and players is like this year. I would hope that they agree to a team wide accountability model for one and have ice time within reason allocated by on ice play. If a young kid is performing well I would like to see them elevated.

Reactions: Ippenator

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed, everyone needs to step up and perform this year. I would be quite curious as to what the opening meeting between the coach and players is like this year. I would hope that they agree to a team wide accountability model for one and have ice time within reason allocated by on ice play. If a young kid is performing well I would like to see them elevated.

Agreed.....albeit I'm not sure how likely that is on a NHL team.......but I agree it would be good. I would love, love to be a fly on the wall for those opening meetings between players & coaches and players vs players. There may need to be some clearing of the air from both sides to move forward productively with trust in each other. You know that feeling you have sitting in your car at a intersection at a red light during icy conditions..........and you see another car approaching the cars stopped at the lights way too fast...........you kinda know what's about to happen but you need to wait and watch to ensure it actually happens or not.........that's the feeling I have now. That nervous, kinda oh crap feeling.......I'm expecting the worse and praying for the best. Bring on TC!

Reactions: Luc Labelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad