Confirmed with Link: Condon signs 3-year extension (AAV 2.4M)

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Thats fine, but people here are way too unrealistic.We needed to lose one of Methot or Phaneuf this upcoming season.We need the money .

Condon just received almost 2 mil more than he made last season,JGP made 900k last year,he will be getting a huge raise.Then there is next year. Stone ,Turris and Ceci are due for more money.People really need to look at our cap space and where the team is realsitically before they come on here and just talk nonsense about what PD is or isnt doing

Fair points. I haven't made up my mind with PD yet, there's been good and bad. I think it's fair to criticize the Phaneuf acquisition in hindsight and label it as short sighted when looking at what's it's done to our cap situation and also how that led to the loss of Methot, but that's probably more of a Murray criticism than on Dorion. I felt like we had a championship caliber defense during this last run and I'm not sure how I feel about it now after losing Methot, we'll see what the plans are from management on that replacement. I think we can probably find a serviceable replacement in our system currently, but we don't have any immediate players that can duplicate Methot's defensive game and chemistry with Karlsson. That will be missed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fair points. I haven't made up my mind with PD yet, there's been good and bad. I think it's fair to criticize the Phaneuf acquisition in hindsight and label it as short sighted when looking at what's it's done to our cap situation and also how that led to the loss of Methot, but that's probably more of a Murray criticism than on Dorion. I felt like we had a championship caliber defense during this last run and I'm not sure how I feel about it now after losing Methot, we'll see what the plans are from management on that replacement. I think we can probably find a serviceable replacement in our system currently, but we don't have any immediate players that can duplicate Methot's defensive game and chemistry with Karlsson. That will be missed.

Weight the Phaneuf trade with the loss of Greening, Cowen & Mickalek all of which are no longer in the NHL & their contracts as well as the fact that Phaneuf helped this team get to within a goal of the SCF. What is the value of that?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The defense was decent but also flawed.The lack of mobilty and skill on that left side,was problematic.Conversely the right, the trend is reversed,mobile defenders.Slow wingers.We need to change the the mix a little:nod:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The defense was decent but also flawed.The lack of mobilty and skill on that left side,was problematic.Conversely the right, the trend is reversed,mobile defenders.Slow wingers.We need to change the the mix a little:nod:

Do you ever make a post without using :nod:?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Weight the Phaneuf trade with the loss of Greening, Cowen & Mickalek all of which are no longer in the NHL & their contracts as well as the fact that Phaneuf helped this team get to within a goal of the SCF. What is the value of that?

All those guys would be off the books by now anyway.

There's value in what you outlined, but it's fair to have a debate on how that trade looks now and in the future. Foot speed is already an issue with Phaneuf and we have several more years locked in at a high salary. I'm uneasy about that contract on the books, but we're probably just going to have to deal with it.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
All sentiments aside, after thinking about it, the guy was waived less than a year ago and posted below average save% in 40 games for Sens.

3 years at that price is a hell of an overpayment.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
All sentiments aside, after thinking about it, the guy was waived less than a year ago and posted below average save% in 40 games for Sens.

Mike Hoffman was waived the year before he scored 27 too.

The fact that he was waived was due to Montreal wanting a more experienced backup.

Condon did steal Budaj's job in Montreal and did extremely well when he took over Price at first ... Of course he could not replace Carey Price and the team in front of him was a tire fire. He kinda took the hit for the team being absolutely terrible and giving him no support as a rookie.

He was obviously immediately claimed, as he is a quality backup at the very least.

A lot of players are waived... Jussi Jokinen was waived for example. Mike Hoffman, Paul Byron. It doesn't mean much if at all.

The Sens management thinks Condon can eventually replace Anderson and split more and more starts with him as he gets older.

Do I think Condon deserved 3M in year 3?

Well.... You need to understand that if 11 teams were in on him as reported, there was probably a decent chance that Condon could've landed a starter job somewhere. If you consider that, you need to give him term and money for him to be interested in staying here. It has to be worth it for him too, and he proved he can play a lot of games. If I'm a team like Calgary I'd be intrigued, I wouldn't mind giving Condon (who's relatively young) 2.4 over 3 years. Smith isn't bad but you add a guy like Condon on top of it and you have pretty solid goaltending options.

I see people saying we could've signed this guy or the other for 700k. We know what we have in Condon. People who say that do not remember the dark days of having a stacked team with no goalie. Andy misses a lot of games, I want certainty in net, I don't want a guy that will *maybe* do the job.

Anyways, besides signing Condon our options were very limited. Do you want Bernier? Not really he's older and not beter than Condon. Mason? He was a good option IMO, but probably the only one and would've wanted similar contract or more. Miller is old, Halak is making 4.5 ... Unless you trade for Grubauer or Mrazek, the.legitimately good options are very limited.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All those guys would be off the books by now anyway.

There's value in what you outlined, but it's fair to have a debate on how that trade looks now and in the future. Foot speed is already an issue with Phaneuf and we have several more years locked in at a high salary. I'm uneasy about that contract on the books, but we're probably just going to have to deal with it.

I think so too, but if there is interest in him right now maybe PD can move him but then they lose their two veteran defencemen. It's a tough call but yea, he's slow & getting older & they might not get another chance to move him. What to do, what to do?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

It's a steal if he plays 40+ games per season which he might. If you look at his save % you're forgetting that he played in every game for 2 months. Not getting a night off or missing a game in a back to back situation will make his stats look less impressive

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The deal is the Sens betting he is a starter in year 3. It's either a bad deal because we're paying too much for a backup, or steal if he ends up as a starter.

I'd have preferred we get a lower cost backup, but time will tell if this was the right choice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't think it is fair to say he had a below average SVP. His SVP was 19th for goalies who played 40 games or more, but the difference between him and the 15th goalie is a very small margin, .01.

Then consider that his save percentage was probably a bit deflated due to playing an insane 25 or so straight games, and that number looks a bit better.

I'm not super high on Condon, and I wouldn't have guessed he could have pushed for a 3 year 3.4M deal but I don't mind this deal all that much. . I could take him or leave him. I think he'll probably be an average starter at one point in the NHL if he is at the right place at the right time. Fortunately for him and maybe for us, this might be that place if Anderson slows down and Hogberg or Driedger don't come along quickly enough.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's a steal if he plays 40+ games per season which he might. If you look at his save % you're forgetting that he played in every game for 2 months. Not getting a night off or missing a game in a back to back situation will make his stats look less impressive

It's would be interesting to see something on how fatigue effects goalie's numbers, like pitch counts for baseball.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The deal is the Sens betting he is a starter in year 3. It's either a bad deal because we're paying too much for a backup, or steal if he ends up as a starter.

I'd have preferred we get a lower cost backup, but time will tell if this was the right choice.

Even a lower end back up your looking atleast 1 million and Andy would have to play 90% of the gamers.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
It's would be interesting to see something on how fatigue effects goalie's numbers, like pitch counts for baseball.

For Condon last year, his stats were pretty good up until game 22 in a row. He was still sitting at .920 overall save %. He then allowed for 4 goals against the Leafs, and never really recovered. Up until that point he only allowed 4 or more goals 3 times. That night and after was 6 times in fewer games. That includes a 7 goal night against the Jackets. Safe to say his performance tailed off badly.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think so too, but if there is interest in him right now maybe PD can move him but then they lose their two veteran defencemen. It's a tough call but yea, he's slow & getting older & they might not get another chance to move him. What to do, what to do?

IMO the interest in him has been overstated. It was reported that the Sens were trying to move him. Dorion said no ... the phone keeps ringing on him. I could see LA being interested in moving some contracts back here like Brown and Gaborik but I think that would be a win for LA. If the GMPD and GB think the young guys on D, and our depth is enough to live without Phaneuf ... I would move him. My opinion at the moment is if we moved him we would need to add a legit top 4 D via trade and we would lose other important assets to get one.

Since this is a Condon thread.. I will add Go Condo

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Much higher than I expected but if it means solidifying the spot behind Andy, and possibly grooming him as a cheap starter by year three, I'm tentatively in.

Gives Hogberg and Driedger more time to develop, too, if the org isn't sure they'll be ready.

20% more than my upper limit of $2M per season for 2 years. Meh. I am satisfied with this salary and term. It gives the team a capable backup goaltender who has potential to get better.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
To deal with Hammond.

Vancouver needs a goalie. They owe us.
Pittsburgh needs a back up. They owe us.
Phoenix needs a goalie. They are too smart for us.
NJ needs a cheap back up goalie.
Colorado needs a cheap ****** back up to help them dive.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
To deal with Hammond.

Nobody owes us anything. This isn't like you lent your buddy 5 bucks and he promised to pay you back.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To deal with Hammond.

___________ owes us . They are too smart for us.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Dorrion better get Craig at 3.5 or less now as a budget team you can't afford to have more than 6m tied into goaltending

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Stability in nets for 2 years is great. I like this.

Who starts in net for Ottawa in 3 years? Im not convinced the future is in our system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad