Confirmed with Link: Condon signs 3-year extension (AAV 2.4M)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Condon is a good signing & a reward for clearly saving the Sens season & indirectly responsible for their long playoff run. Management clearly isn't comfortable with Hammond & I imagine they will place him on waivers sooner or later in order to buy him out unless that time has passed, it hasn't has it? Don't they get another opportunity after training camp if it has?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Chad Johnson wound up signing for $2.5 x 1 year with Buffalo. He's (31yo) 4 years older than Condon (27yo).

Seeing some of the other goalie signing today makes me feel a lot better about the value Ottawa got here with a 1.7/2.6/3 salary structure.

Leading up to the off season I might have pegged Condon as a 2*1.7M type signing but clearly that expectation has now been shown to not be in touch with the goalie market.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I just think Condon's performance last year is being romanticized based on the way the season turned out. He did a solid job, but nothing extraordinary, and played behind a very structured and defensive minded team. He has been a fringe NHLer his whole career, I don't expect him to all of a sudden develop into a starting caliber goalie at age 27-28. He's a solid backup to me, nothing more nothing less, and his contract should resemble that.

Chad Johnson has played 30-40 games the past two seasons at a relatively effective level that is comparable to what Condon did this past season. Plus Johnson has always been a solid backup. So I'm confident he could replicate what Condon gave us and will give us going forward. I actually think Johnson is a better goalie than Condon, so if the Sabres are getting him at $1.9M AAV, then it just further reinforces my belief that we overpaid for Condon.

Let's see what some of these goalie deals start coming in at over the next few days. I have no problem with the team paying a little more for a "super backup" with starting potential who may play up to 40 games and eventually take over for Andy.

Problem is, I don't see Condon as that type of guy. Quite honestly, I don't see much difference between the talent level and potential of guys like Condon, Johnson, Kinkaid, etc. - I think they're all just standard backups.

Agreed. I feel Condon is Hammond 2.0. Solid backup who stepped up and exceeded expectations when the starter went down; not strong enough to have me believe he'd replicate that season again.

Even acknowledging Johnson signed for more on a one year deal, I feel we overcommitted to Condon, here.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think Condon will be a good backup.

Was great last season. Yes, his numbers did dip near the end of the season. But that is usually what happens when you start 25+ games straight and that includes back to backs.

He doesn't have to replicate last season.

All he has to do is provide good goaltending in the small amount of games he gets next season.

That is unless Anderson goes down with an injury again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->