Confirmed with Link: Condon signs 3-year extension (AAV 2.4M)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Not crazy about the cost, but happy he is still here. And if he can become the successor to Andy I would be happy with the price.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Eeesh, too much for a backup.

Also good luck trading Hammond. Not sure what fantasy land Dorion thinks he's living in, but no one is taking Hammond.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
if that report is accurate we arent buying out hammond

I don't understand why this team is so opposed to buyouts. It makes no sense. Why would we spend 1.5M on Hammond instead of spending 500k a year for the next two years which means we save 500k total while spreading out the burden over two years. I'd love to hear their philosophical reason for not buying useless players out.

Yeah, if we manage to bundle him into a deal for a player, that's better than buying him out, but Dorion should know quickly whether that is a possibility.

As it is now, we're spending 6.3M on goaltending. Given we're getting a very good starter in Anderson and a player who was a solid 1B last year in Condon, that's fine given minimum wage for starters in this league is around the low 4Ms and Anderson is an above average starter. Food for thought, Fleury's 5.9M cap hit would put him right in the middle of the highest paid 30 goalies in the league.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
wouldn't want anything but a pick or a prospect for him, but not sure who would want him. They tried this already haven't they? Maybe Vegas for Emelin :laugh:

ffs that would be horrible

hammond+whatever the reasonable price is (ie none of white chabot brown chalpik) for perron or neal

if our first is included make it top 10 protected

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is a tone you don't usually have

keep-calm-and-join-the-dark-side-of-the-force-3.png

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Great price for a 1B goalie. His numbers were adequate this season but he also played in like 25 games in a row for us. That had to affect his numbers.

Having him locked up for the next three years means the organization won't be desperate for a goalie next summer.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The way that contract is set up (escalating in years 2 & 3), I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play all 3 years in Ottawa.

The asset management posters should love this deal. Sens don't lose an asset for nothing and could possibly get Condon at backup money in year 1 and then trade him off for 3rd round pick in year 2.

With that said, I doubt they go that direction. If they weren't confident in him, I don't think they would have taken this risk by signing him to a 3 year deal and potentially ending up being stuck with him if he doesn't perform well going forward. The Senators seem to believe in signing younger players to contracts that escalate rather than maintain the same salary each year. They've done it with pretty much every young player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
ffs that would be horrible

hammond+whatever the reasonable price is (ie none of white chabot brown chalpik) for perron or neal

if our first is included make it top 10 protected

well it could make some sense of the Lebrun tweet

don't shoot the messenger

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Overpayment.

Yeah Condon definitely did well for himself here, but what direction do you take if one of those 11 or however teams in on him was offering him a similar contract and this is what it took to keep him?

In that scenario, what is your ideal choice? Walking from Condon or signing him to this contract?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It would be interesting to see what teams were interested in him. 11 teams seems pretty high. I bet a couple of them were just calling to see if he would sign a ahl type of contract.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Eeesh, too much for a backup.

Also good luck trading Hammond. Not sure what fantasy land Dorion thinks he's living in, but no one is taking Hammond.

FYI Brian BUrke is still in the NHL, so never say never when it comes to a GM looking for brutal goaltending.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don't mind this at all. It adds certainty to the goal position for 2+ years. Whatever else happens, goaltending shouldn't be the issue.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Overpaid. Should be something in the $1.5M range. If other teams drove up the price, move on to guys like Anders Nilsson, Chad Johnson, Kinkaid, Kuemper, etc. Plenty of similar guys out there who will come at a cheaper price tag.

These guys are a dime a dozen. It's not like Condon is the goalie successor in waiting - I don't see him as a starting caliber NHL goalie. He did a solid job filling in for Andy last year but it wasn't anything extraordinary. And Boucher's system helps soften the blow of having to play a backup due to the defensive nature of it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He deserved his shot.

I am very glad we retained him.

Probably looking at keeping Andy as the starter but lowering his starts gradually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad