Confirmed with Link: Condon signs 3-year extension (AAV 2.4M)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Eeesh, too much for a backup.

Also good luck trading Hammond. Not sure what fantasy land Dorion thinks he's living in, but no one is taking Hammond.

They will if they can dump a bad contract on us. If there's a team looking to get rid of a defenceman (Vegas?) they may take on Hammond and buy him out or send him to the minors for the year. Plus, McPhee owes Dorion one :D

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not bad at all. He's more a 1b than a backup. And Anderson needs a new deal next year as well

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
He'll probably be the starter by default in that 3rd year 3M deal. By that time Andys probably on his way out and it'll be hogberg or driedger challenging for a back up role.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
One more year and one more million than I would have liked.

Seems we keep wanting to hand out three year deals to our unproven backups.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
One more year and one more million than I would have liked.

Seems we keep wanting to hand out three year deals to our unproven backups.

I don't think it's fair to call Condon an unproven backup. He's played almost 100 NHL games, he played a starter's load last year for chunks of the season.

If you compare him to the other backup goalies who have not only gotten bigger contracts than Condon, but teams have also given up much better picks for, Condon has a significantly larger resume than most of them and more important the Senators have actually seen how he plays in their system before gambling on him.

Some examples.....Scott Darling has played 75 NHL games and was just extended to a huge deal, Martin Jones prior to his trade where SJ gave up a huge piece/big extension had played 34 NHL games, Cam Talbot prior to his trade had played 57 games and likely not much more than Condon when he eventually was extended by EDM.

Context is important. If the Sens feel Condon isn't a future starter but got roped into keeping him because they have no other options, this contract isn't very good. If they think he could take over from Anderson, they got a decent deal here. His cap hit should fall in the 35-40 range among all goalies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. I mean it's not something I'm worked up over. Just grumble.

I feel though that the other goalies you named all showed true starter potential and had pedigree coming into the league.

Condon was a waiver pickup/late round pick trade and generally played at replacement level, which means we could mostly go out and sign someone who could do just as well for a season or two.

But definitely makes the Hammond situation awkward

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I assume this means they are buying out Hammond, not sure if he has any trade value.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
This feels like overpayment to me, we have a habit of giving backups too much money. If Condon is viewed as our future starter, then this deal makes sense, but I'm not a fan of that view either. I don't see starter potential in Condon, I view him as a solid backup in the Alex Auld mold. A goalie that can look like a starter for stretches but really is a backup. I'd prefer Condon over Hammond for sure, but I hope we aren't planning on Condon taking over the #1 job after Andy retires.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This feels like overpayment to me, we have a habit of giving backups too much money. If Condon is viewed as our future starter, then this deal makes sense, but I'm not a fan of that view either. I don't see starter potential in Condon, I view him as a solid backup in the Alex Auld mold. A goalie that can look like a starter for stretches but really is a backup. I'd prefer Condon over Hammond for sure, but I hope we aren't planning on Condon taking over the #1 job after Andy retires.

With Condon being in high demand that drives up that price.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Another bad contract. Too much money for too much term.

Hopefully Condom develops into a #1, because 2.4M is too much too a backup and 3 years is too long of a term for a backup.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Its a solid deal.

It's a bad deal, but if it prevents this team from going into the season with a 36 year old Anderson and the Hamburglar, it's not the worst thing in the world.

I'm not happy about it, but I'm not particularly upset either.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Meh dammed if you do dammed if you dont,far too many experts around here :nod:

Nothing wrong with differing viewpoints and discussion. I think some people are a little too critical of opposing viewpoints at times. These discussions are a good thing, it means we have fans that care and are invested.

I'm not a fan of this contract as noted above, but I have no problem if other fans love the deal. I hope Condon proves me wrong.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nothing wrong with differing viewpoints and discussion. I think some people are a little too critical of opposing viewpoints at times. These discussions are a good thing, it means we have fans that care and are invested.

I'm not a fan of this contract as noted above, but I have no problem if other fans love the deal. I hope Condon proves me wrong.
Thats fine, but people here are way too unrealistic.We needed to lose one of Methot or Phaneuf this upcoming season.We need the money .

Condon just received almost 2 mil more than he made last season,JGP made 900k last year,he will be getting a huge raise.Then there is next year. Stone ,Turris and Ceci are due for more money.People really need to look at our cap space and where the team is realsitically before they come on here and just talk nonsense about what PD is or isnt doing

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I don't hate the deal, but I don't love it.

I kinda think that it's gonna be a trade deal for the 2nd two years to a team that sees Condon as a potential cheap starter. His numbers are gonna look a lot better in more protected starts this season, and someone hoping he's become a starter will probably want to give him the net.

If not, I don't think this kills you as much as over paying a skater does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad