Confirmed with Link: Condon signs 3-year extension (AAV 2.4M)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Haven't gone through the thread but my initial thoughts when I read about it were that I'm very happy they retained his services for another three years, but that the price seems too steep for a backup, considering the budget and the players we still need to sign.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Haven't gone through the thread but my initial thoughts when I read about it were that I'm very happy they retained his services for another three years, but that the price seems too steep for a backup, considering the budget and the players we still need to sign.

Don't you worry about that L'avy. PD didn't get nominated for GM of the year for nothing right?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Don't you worry about that L'avy. PD didn't get nominated for GM of the year for nothing right?

Well honestly, I don't really know the budget Melnyk has set in place so this could be taken two ways:

1- We are planning on spending close to the cap so we can afford a $2.4 million backup.

2- We still have an internal cap below $70 million and Dorion just shot himself in the foot for next year.

I don't see how you can spend that much money on the core with a relatively small budget if you are signing guys like Burrows and Condon for over $2 million. Granted, Condon could end up playing half the games in a few years, so at that point it'll be a win, but I'm not sure if we saw enough of him to make such predictions.

I dunno, I think we could have signed him for 600-700k less considering what he was making prior to that, but the market was apparently strong for him, and we might have one of the best backups in the league so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well honestly, I don't really know the budget Melnyk has set in place so this could be taken two ways:

1- We are planning on spending close to the cap so we can afford a $2.4 million backup.

2- We still have an internal cap below $70 million and Dorion just shot himself in the foot for next year.

I don't see how you can spend that much money on the core with a relatively small budget if you are signing guys like Burrows and Condon for over $2 million. Granted, Condon could end up playing half the games in a few years, so at that point it'll be a win, but I'm not sure if we saw enough of him to make such predictions.

I dunno, I think we could have signed him for 600-700k less considering what he was making prior to that, but the market was apparently strong for him, and we might have one of the best backups in the league so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think its kind of like a sitcom... the PD show.. There is suspense, comedy, fear, sadness, surprise, angst and rage ...something for everyone. Its kind of unpredictable and you can't take anything at face value.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think its kind of like a sitcom... the PD show.. There is suspense, comedy, fear, sadness, surprise, angst and rage ...something for everyone. Its kind of unpredictable and you can't take anything at face value.

:laugh: Good description. It will be interesting to see what the internal budget will be for this yr. I find it hard to believe that this owner is going to spend to the cap & rather than sign any UFA July 1 they will go with a cheaper prospect. I'm gonna guess they stay just under $70 mil this yr when everyone is signed & will spend more at the deadline, if need be. They still need to sign Pageau & Dzingel which should take them close to $70 mil.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
:laugh: Good description. It will be interesting to see what the internal budget will be for this yr. I find it hard to believe that this owner is going to spend to the cap & rather than sign any UFA July 1 they will go with a cheaper prospect. I'm gonna guess they stay just under $70 mil this yr when everyone is signed & will spend more at the deadline, if need be. They still need to sign Pageau & Dzingel which should take them close to $70 mil.

I'm thinking that'll be it as well, unfortunately. I doubt we go up to $72-73 mil. by acquiring a UFA dman. Wonder what would have happened had we not lost Methot. Obviously Phaneuf was being shopped more seriously before we did, so it does seem to indicate a strong intention of staying under $70 mil one way or another.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We're not spending 2.4M on a backup. We're spending 1.7M on a backup while our starter is criminally underpaid at 3.1M.

If we buyout Hammond, we're at about 62.6 for 18 players. Pageau will likely get a backloaded deal as well so him and Dzingel likely come in at around 3M combined bringing us up to 65.6 for 20 players, add 3 more bottom 6 players at 3M (McCormick+Stalberg+???) and we're just a touch up 68M with a full roster. It'll change slightly depending on who makes the final roster.

The fact that Dion is now staying, and now we're supposedly in on Emelin makes me think whatever Dorion's UFA D plan was might not have worked out whether that is because UFAs wanted more than he could spare, or because the plan was to flip Dion and use that money to sign a UFA replacement. I'm guessing if there is truth to Emelin we'll overpay Vegas to get him half retained with them taking Hammond which will make him dirt cheap when you consider the Hammond 1.5M sunk costs. Maybe we send them a draft pick and Wideman since we already have 8 NHL level D expected to push for the team before getting Emelin.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We're not spending 2.4M on a backup. We're spending 1.7M on a backup while our starter is criminally underpaid at 3.1M.

If we buyout Hammond, we're at about 62.6 for 18 players. Pageau will likely get a backloaded deal as well so him and Dzingel likely come in at around 3M combined bringing us up to 65.6 for 20 players, add 3 more bottom 6 players at 3M (McCormick+Stalberg+???) and we're just a touch up 68M with a full roster. It'll change slightly depending on who makes the final roster.

The fact that Dion is now staying, and now we're supposedly in on Emelin makes me think whatever Dorion's UFA D plan was might not have worked out whether that is because UFAs wanted more than he could spare, or because the plan was to flip Dion and use that money to sign a UFA replacement. I'm guessing if there is truth to Emelin we'll overpay Vegas to get him half retained with them taking Hammond which will make him dirt cheap when you consider the Hammond 1.5M sunk costs. Maybe we send them a draft pick and Wideman since we already have 8 NHL level D expected to push for the team before getting Emelin.

Cap hit for Condon is $2.4m and if you think Pageau will get less than $3 million in any year of his next contract you are mistaken. Him and Dzingel will cost minimum $4.5 million combined.

And I haven't heard anything about Emelin rumors but please god let them be wrong.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well, thanks to this signing our goalie position is no longer an area where we have value. Every game this year we're now guaranteed to have at least 1.7M sitting on the bench.

Condon may be worth this contract for a team willing to take a chance on him as a starter, not for a team that has a clear #1 goalie.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, thanks to this signing our goalie position is no longer an area where we have value. Every game this year we're now guaranteed to have at least 1.7M sitting on the bench.

Condon may be worth this contract for a team willing to take a chance on him as a starter, not for a team that has a clear #1 goalie.

An aging starter that misses time almost every season since we got him. I think we're willing to pay more for a capable backup because of this.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Anderson will be 37 at the end of next season...Dorion is not paying that money for a back-up, he's paying it for a 1A/B goalie two years from now. If Anderson re-signs it will not be as the clear #1, but rather as part of a tandem.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
An aging starter that misses time almost every season since we got him. I think we're willing to pay more for a capable backup because of this.
True, but I'd rather roll the dice and try to find a solution IF Andy's hurt again. We just did exactly that last year, and for dead cheap too.

Besides, if Boucher's defensive system is so good, the goalie position is one where we shouldn't need to spend too much.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Feel the same as most, it seems. I'm glad to have him back, money/term are more than I'd like.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Cap hit for Condon is $2.4m and if you think Pageau will get less than $3 million in any year of his next contract you are mistaken. Him and Dzingel will cost minimum $4.5 million combined.

And I haven't heard anything about Emelin rumors but please god let them be wrong.

Condon makes 1.7M this year, cap hit doesn't matter to Sens, salary does.

Comparable contracts put Dzingel at 1M-1.5M.

Smith has set the ceiling for Pageau with his contract. Smith's contract is all UFA years, Pageau has multiple RFA years left. I would expect 1.5-2 for Pageau next year for salary on the frat year of a backloaded deal regardless of term. His cap hit will be higher.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

1.7M is in the vicinity of backup money. We're getting Andy and a 1B goalie for 4.8M combined...that's less than 2/3rds of the leagues starters make but for BOTH our goalies....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
True, but I'd rather roll the dice and try to find a solution IF Andy's hurt again. We just did exactly that last year, and for dead cheap too.

Besides, if Boucher's defensive system is so good, the goalie position is one where we shouldn't need to spend too much.

I wouldnt argue too much with that but ive definitely gotten to the point where I just assume Andy will miss a portion of the season and its nice not to have to scramble later on.

Boucher has said a few times now that the one thing he definitely needs for his system is a quality goaltender and felt he didnt have that in the past. He even claimed it was a requirement for the next gig he took.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Condon makes 1.7M this year, cap hit doesn't matter to Sens, salary does.

Works both ways. His salary in 2017/18 is only 1.7M, but his salary in 2018/19 is 2.5M, and his salary in 2019/20 is 3M.

So unless Condon becomes our #1 goalie, we're going to be paying him 2.5M in 2018/19 and 3M in 2019/20 to sit on the bench most games.

Not the best signing.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I like it, I can see why they gave him three years. Who knows who can come in as a stopgap for Anderson when his inevitable regression takes full effect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its good to have 2 good goalies that you can rely on ... Could Andy need to miss time again? Even if he doesn't forcing Andy to play a little less and stay fresh is a good thing. Condon will play enough games to earn his paycheck over the 3 years imo.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Works both ways. His salary in 2017/18 is only 1.7M, but his salary in 2018/19 is 2.5M, and his salary in 2019/20 is 3M.

So unless Condon becomes our #1 goalie, we're going to be paying him 2.5M in 2018/19 and 3M in 2019/20 to sit on the bench most games.

Not the best signing.

If Condon had another team interested enough in him to offer a similar deal and it was a match it or Condon walks type scenario, would you prefer the Senators release him or proceed with signing this contract?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like Condon. He played well for us this year. The price to keep him is higher than I thought it would be.

Hammond is entering the last year of his deal...buying him out feels like a waste. I would honestly explore the idea of lending him to an AHL team that needs a quality starter....if Belleville doesn't need him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Look around guys. The options were limited. If it isn't Condon at 2.4M X 3 years, these are the realistic alternatives:

Steve Mason: Wants more money over a longer term. Could cause a goalie controversy. Older than Condon. Wants to be a starter, not a 1A or 1B.

Jonathan Bernier: If he is even willing to sign with us. Likely a lot of suitors. More term and more money.

Chad Johnson: Much older than Condon, coming off a worse year. Might have taken one less year, but will command similar cash.

Anders Nilsson: Played 1/2 the games of Condon the last two years. Same age. Better year than Condon in a much small sample. Could be cheaper, but will have a lot of suitors, and much riskier, IMO.

Keith Kinkaid. Decent option, Same issues as Nilsson, hasn't had a starter's workload. Could be cheaper, but will have a lot of suitors. Still a lot of risk.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Look around guys. The options were limited. If it isn't Condon at 2.4M X 3 years, these are the realistic alternatives:

Steve Mason: Wants more money over a longer term. Could cause a goalie controversy. Older than Condon. Wants to be a starter, not a 1A or 1B.

Jonathan Bernier: If he is even willing to sign with us. Likely a lot of suitors. More term and more money.

Chad Johnson: Much older than Condon, coming off a worse year. Might have taken one less year, but will command similar cash.

Anders Nilsson: Played 1/2 the games of Condon the last two years. Same age. Better year than Condon in a much small sample. Could be cheaper, but will have a lot of suitors, and much riskier, IMO.

Keith Kinkaid. Decent option, Same issues as Nilsson, hasn't had a starter's workload. Could be cheaper, but will have a lot of suitors. Still a lot of risk.

Niemi as well after being bought out... don't think we'd want to go there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad