Pre-Game Talk: Colorado @ Toronto - Tuesday 7PM (EST) - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
well, the oilers have done the worst rebuild ever. 10 yrs of rebuilding just in order to build a stockpile of one dimensional wingers.

I really think Leaf players are bashed to no end in the media.

Kessel goes -2 in the game against Montreal, is out there in the last minute to protect the lead and makes a great play. No mention...doesn't fit their agenda.

Kessel looks like a Selke winner compared to Hall, Eberle and Yakupov playing D. My god is Eberle soft.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I really think Leaf players are bashed to no end in the media.

Kessel goes -2 in the game against Montreal, is out there in the last minute to protect the lead and makes a great play. No mention...doesn't fit their agenda.

Kessel looks like a Selke winner compared to Hall, Eberle and Yakupov playing D. My god is Eberle soft.

Let's just say, the days of comparing Eberle and Kessel are long gone. Finally.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
still remember all the crying about how the oilers were rebuilding the "right way", and the leafs were doing it all wrong.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Let's just say, the days of comparing Eberle and Kessel are long gone. Finally.

My god I remember this. Lots of people picked Eberle because they thought that Kessel is a 1-dimensional soft player. Glad he proved them wrong.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
well, the oilers have done the worst rebuild ever. 10 yrs of rebuilding just in order to build a stockpile of one dimensional wingers.

Wait...I thought that was the rebuild model most people were *****ing at the Leafs for not employing.

You know you're cocky when you go to other teams' forums in packs to talk about how good your team is.

I honestly thought I was on the wrong board for a minute.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
still remember all the crying about how the oilers were rebuilding the "right way", and the leafs were doing it all wrong.

Rebuilding through tanking only works if you get the right kind of players in the draft.

Toews/Kane...far ahead of RNH/Hall/Yakupov
Crosby/Malkin

I think the Avs tank will work because they have a nice blend of players and they didn't screw up on their early 2nd round pick.

MacKinnon, Duchene, ROR, Landeskog is just far more versatile than Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle even if the Edmonton group has more points.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

I'd give the oilers a year or two before I judge them. They have many good pieces they just need to hire a good management staff and find a way to put together a competitive roster.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Rebuilding through tanking only works if you get the right kind of players in the draft.

Toews/Kane...far ahead of RNH/Hall/Yakupov
Crosby/Malkin

I think the Avs tank will work because they have a nice blend of players and they didn't screw up on their early 2nd round pick.

MacKinnon, Duchene, ROR, Landeskog is just far more versatile than Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle even if the Edmonton group has more points.
Avs are another capitals team to me. They have absolutely no defense compared to oilers.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Avs are another capitals team to me. They have absolutely no defense compared to oilers.

Well yeah, Avs succeeding in the playoffs will depend on them getting #1, #2, #4, #5 and #6D's that are better than what they have.

EJ is a top 4 D and everyone else is bottom pairing at the moment.

I just trust the Avs to try and accomplish that better than the Oilers.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I should add this to some other thread but here we go\

My issue with the Leafs coaching:

I like Carlyle as a coach, he is old school maybe TOO old school, he has a history of having bad relations with certain players not just in Toronto. I would hate to lose someone like Gardiner or Kadri just because the coach doesn't like how they play or respond. Thought we went through those dark days of Wilson, not saying to fire Carlyle but, I would hate to lose players due to conflict with the coach. :shakehead

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I should add this to some other thread but here we go\

My issue with the Leafs coaching:

I like Carlyle as a coach, he is old school maybe TOO old school, he has a history of having bad relations with certain players not just in Toronto. I would hate to lose someone like Gardiner or Kadri just because the coach doesn't like how they play or respond. Thought we went through those dark days of Wilson, not saying to fire Carlyle but, I would hate to lose players due to conflict with the coach. :shakehead

I like Gardiner but he takes far too many risks and needs to learn to play according to the score (he did that against Ottawa).

Kadri, we're not going to trade him just because the coach doesn't like him. If it ever came to the players vs. coach. The coach is always the one to go, never the player(s).

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd give the oilers a year or two before I judge them. They have many good pieces they just need to hire a good management staff and find a way to put together a competitive roster.
I think it's alright to judge them now and revise later. The Oilers have been at the "one more year" stage for years now.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
For all the talk about Edmonton, the Leafs have only made a single playoff appearance in the same amount time.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I can't believe were sitting here knocking the Oilers rebuild when we ourselves have only been a "good team" for just over a year now:laugh:

The Oilers are clearly building their team by drafting elite players with high picks, while its working now eventually they're going to be that team that falls between a playoff spot and a high draft pick, they are going to have to learn to draft smart(er) in the 2nd-7th rounds. Also I don't like relying on this type of rebuild because if you think about it takes a 1st rounder roughly 3 years to develop, and even then there's no gurantee he pans out.

The Leafs have fast tracked their development by trading for prospects (ones who either have AHL or NHL experience) and by trading for other young players (ala Kessel, Gardiner), they don't rely on using the draft. I have noticed we have more of a "Los Angeles" rebuild which is build up on the blueline and in net, and then once theres an overload flip some assets to fill the need up front.

The Oilers to me have more of a Chicago type rebuild, suck for years and finish near the top or at the top of the draft and use their picks to grab a foward.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
**** the Avalanche.

I love their team but their fans on HF are such a bunch of babies. Some of you who don't venture too far outside of the Leafs board won't understand but every single thread involving the Leafs has Avs fans throwing snarky comments in constantly... I'm really sick of it. I mean even Sens and Habs fans are reasonable and make some sort of an argument but almost every Avs fans comments on Leafs threads with stupid **** like, "Dion Phaneuf is the best defencemen, Reimer is the best goalie and Kessel is GOAT" and then leave the thread. And NOTHING is good enough for their players on the trade board. I don't make proposals but holy ****, everytime I read a proposal involving the Avs, their fans say "LOL Bozak + 2nd is fair value" or "NOT EVEN CLOSE"...

/rant

Go Leafs Go.

The Av fans are cute. They brag about their cups won even though they were handed theirs because of the Canadian dollar. Once all the Quebec players got old and retired they have looked a lot like the old Rockies. I'll be disappointed if this isn't the first rout of the year. 5-1 Leafs

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Hasn't Edmonton been rebuilding for the same amount of time for us? We've been at it for 5 years, and are a playoff team now with room to grow, about where we should be.

Has it been the same with Edmonton? I know we've been compared in years past (at our worst no less), but the comparisons have gone quiet recently. Have they been going since '08, or did it "officially" start in 2010?

Tyler Biggs*

A preseason question on TSN asked 'who are you most excited to see make their Leafs debut: Clarkson, Bolland or Bernier?' I picked Bolland and have not been disappointed! He has been amazing so far, you can see why he has been a part of so many wining teams! One word comes to mind with Bolland. Intangibles. Bernier has been really really good as well. I think it's safe to say he has an edge on Reimer right now (that could change, it's a long season). Raymond....lights out! I guess now I'm most excited to see Clarkson because he's the only one I haven't seen in a Leafs regular season game! He should be a nice boost to the team when his suspension is up!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For all the talk about Edmonton, the Leafs have only made a single playoff appearance in the same amount time.

And we have a far superior team RIGHT NOW.

We rebuilt the right way, they didn't

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Looking forward to seeing Rielly again. Should be more settled in this game...

Lineup?

Based on practice...

Code:
JVR               Bozak         Kessel 
Lupul             Bolland       Raymond
McClement     Kadri          Bodie
Ashton           Smith         Orr

Liking the way Bodie has fit in. Nice pass and forecheck on that Raymond goal last game. Don't think he has great hands, but he gets himself into great positions due to speed and size. Some nice blocked shots as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
When can O'Rielly be traded? January?

I could see a Gardiner/O'Rielly deal being made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad