NCAA: College Football Off-Season 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is apparently in conjunction with talks of expanding the playoff to 14 teams in 2026

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Eric Bieneny going to br offensive coordinator at UCLA

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Eric Bieneny going to br offensive coordinator at UCLA

He made a very poor career choice staying in KC as long as he did, he overplayed his hand thinking he'd get a HC job despite not calling plays as OC. Had he gone somewhere to be an OC with play-calling duties and done well there he'd have been in position for a HC job, instead he chose Washington with nothing at QB. Now he's the OC at what is likely to be a bad UCLA team, his chances of ever being a HC in the NFL are now probably in the single digits.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He made a very poor career choice staying in KC as long as he did, he overplayed his hand thinking he'd get a HC job despite not calling plays as OC. Had he gone somewhere to be an OC with play-calling duties and done well there he'd have been in position for a HC job, instead he chose Washington with nothing at QB. Now he's the OC at what is likely to be a bad UCLA team, his chances of ever being a HC in the NFL are now probably in the single digits.
He did also see Nick Sirianni get a head job, who, even though he never worked for Andy (in fact was fired by him before he could) is on that tree, and he never called plays either. And then when he tried had to give it up. So I can see why he thought sticking with Andy for as long as he did was the way, because teams are taking from Andy and he’s always going to speak well, plus we saw how revered the preeminent empire of Patriots spread.

He was probably better served taking the year off, and being a senior advisor of some sort. He’s gonna be in his mid-50’s, unless he thinks getting a college head job after this is the way, is going to age out of getting those jobs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He did also see Nick Sirianni get a head job, who, even though he never worked for Andy (in fact was fired by him before he could) is on that tree, and he never called plays either. And then when he tried had to give it up. So I can see why he thought sticking with Andy for as long as he did was the way, because teams are taking from Andy and he’s always going to speak well, plus we saw how revered the preeminent empire of Patriots spread.

He was probably better served taking the year off, and being a senior advisor of some sort. He’s gonna be in his mid-50’s, unless he thinks getting a college head job after this is the way, is going to age out of getting those jobs.
You are never guaranteed another shot if you don't get one when you are considered hot. Kind of depends on your duties and the quality of your side of the ball. Kris Richard in Seattle took over from Quinn after their 2nd SB appearance, but with the OL becoming a mess and assets/money starting to be spent on that side with Russ, the D began to age. He did well maintaining the LOB for a couple of seasons, which earned him a HC interview with AZ, but after that, he hasn't sniffed anywhere close to another HC shot.

Since leaving Seattle, he's returned to being a DB coach for 3 NFL teams.

EB, I do agree with the prior poster, thinking he should take a year off vs go down to college to coach. Or at least do it as a consultant role, vs a full time OC.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
UMass is joining the MAC for 25-26, taking the basketball program with them, which is a big move down

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
might be the only way Penn St makes the playoffs
Something I haven’t seen answered is whether or not the teams who lose in the first round still go to bowl games. Because they should still be rewarded for having seasons that meet but do not exceed expectations. Those kids deserve to still get a trip to the Citrus Bowl.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
FFS there's 3 teams at best every year who are true legitimate championship contenders. There was always one team in the playoff or the championship game (TCU) that would get blown out when it was 4. This sport isn't like March Madness, it's just going to be the same teams it was watching Penn State vs Florida State beat each other to a pulp while Georgia or Ohio State wait to blow out the winner 35-10.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Was probably upset his rating would be worse than Eli in NCAA 2004
Probably didn't wanna end up with the slowest speed rating out of all the mannings in video games. Because if you're the slowest, you probably get a -2 rating

• Haha

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
FFS there's 3 teams at best every year who are true legitimate championship contenders. There was always one team in the playoff or the championship game (TCU) that would get blown out when it was 4. This sport isn't like March Madness, it's just going to be the same teams it was watching Penn State vs Florida State beat each other to a pulp while Georgia or Ohio State wait to blow out the winner 35-10.
True but I still think Georgia where the better team than alabama and would have done more in the play offs. I think sec bias and the committee having an idea that saban was leaving aided it. Expanding it removes that doubt.

I also think Oregon probably would have beat any team not named Washington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad