NCAA: College Football Off-Season 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While national signing day and meaningless bowls going on, it’s time for more rumors about the year-to-come. The black cloud will move from the Pac-12 to ACC as obvious recent events spur further discussion that began this past summer with Florida State getting more serious about its options.

Worth noting that the next two seasons will be double bye-week years.

Colorado has also announced some future opponents, which in 2025 will include FBS debutante Delaware

Oregon State and Cal have added a series for 2024 and 2025.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Wonder how much realignment could've been stopped if a 12 team playoff happened earlier. Funny enough part of the reason a 12 team playoff didn't happen this year was because of the alliance!

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Wonder how much realignment could've been stopped if a 12 team playoff happened earlier. Funny enough part of the reason a 12 team playoff didn't happen this year was because of the alliance!

It was inevitable no matter what.

It all comes down to money and conference revenue.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was inevitable no matter what.

It all comes down to money and conference revenue.
Agreed. There are haves and have not programs for football. PAC12 powers were being dragged down by the weaker programs and didn't like the package the conf. was getting and thus their share would be lower than Big10/SEC in comparison. Not enough caring about the football programs from non USC, Oregon, and Wash. UCLA have not been a serious top 10 team in a long long time. After them, Stanford is a hard program to sustain because of academics. Cal as well.

Which shows in the tv packages. Plus the timing of their games, so late at night for the East to watch.

Reactions: DaveG and LT

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Planning to be there (although likely as a tailgater). Ticket prices are absolutely insane already and I can't imagine they get any better.
I was gonna go to Austin for Georgia Vs Texas but that falls on f1 weekend. You can imagine the prices

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG and LT

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was gonna go to Austin for Georgia Vs Texas but that falls on f1 weekend. You can imagine the prices
I was wondering how UT handled an F1 weekend schedule wise, not surprised the answer is "they don't". That would be one hell of a weekend trip (UT game Saturday/F1 on Sunday) but man, don't think I'll be selling a kidney any time soon to make that work financially.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

There is precedent for a settlement. This very year, the Big 12 and its TV partners agreed to a settlement for Oklahoma and Texas to leave its grant of rights a year early for what was announced as a $50 million penalty for each school.

The ACC grant of rights includes similar language to that document. However, FSU would be leaving with as many as 10 years remaining on the contract. If the ACC and ESPN did agree to any kind of settlement, breaking the grant of rights will come at a considerable cost, with estimates at as much as $500 million.

That would be in addition to the $120 million owed to the league in a separate exit fee.

Reactions: DaveG

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I was wondering how UT handled an F1 weekend schedule wise, not surprised the answer is "they don't". That would be one hell of a weekend trip (UT game Saturday/F1 on Sunday) but man, don't think I'll be selling a kidney any time soon to make that work financially.
I think it’s the first weekend in a while they have a home game that weekend. A holiday inn runs you about 3k that weekend. Was tough. I have a hotel reserved north of the campus though. So may pull the trigger and deal with the ass whooping from the wife when I get back

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FSU is suing the ACC
Well this is quite the escalation

IMG_5932.gif

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What's the point? Is this all just bitterness about not making the CFP? How does trying to leave and suing the conference change anything?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What's the point? Is this all just bitterness about not making the CFP? How does trying to leave and suing the conference change anything?

It has been brewing for a while. They were rumored to have wanted to join Big12 a decade ago and perhaps have their own TV network before ultimately signing the ACC grant of rights.

Before the start of the past CFB season, it was reported that they were exploring a way out of the ACC because of the lack of revenue compared to Big10 and SEC schools were getting from their media deals.

They also didn't like ACC adding Cal, Stanford, SMU. The playoff snub was basically the last straw for them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

This might kill the ACC.

This whole conference realignment shit is stupid. I still laugh at the idea Oregon/Oregon State will no longer be considered an "in conference matchup" when they're in the same state yet Oregon having to travel all the way cross country to play Rutgers will be.

Garbage ass system. It really feels like the NCAA is more money hungry than actual pro sports sometimes.

Pretty much as filfty dangles said, FSU's snub was just the match that lit the powder keg. they've wanted out for a while.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would like to know on what basis the Grant of Rights is illegitimate. If everyone up and leaves, who gets the money?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
It's all ESPN's consolidation of expenditures. The other networks just view college sports as weekend programming, leaving ESPN to create a monopoly over 30 years.

So they keep "Cutting the middle out" of whom they pay. It's just like GMs managing their payrolls: Elite are worth whatever they want, but you can find someone to replace the middle for much cheaper.

You had the ACC (9), Big East (16) and C-USA (14) at 5-6-7 ranked conferences in football. Good in Basketball; and ESPN was paying them like $520m to 39 schools.

So you put Miami and Va Tech football in the ACC. Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette, DePaul in the Big East. You pay the ACC and Big East $510m total to 30 schools, and save $10m for a better product by not paying schools like Tulane, UAB, East Carolina, Southern Miss, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad