Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I could see the wild making a run at him.

Lambos and a 1st maybe? Cap dumps and or retention involved.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't even care at this point. This franchise is nothing but a disappointment.

The most excited I have been in 10 years was when they hired Hextall and he wanted to build through the draft. But that excitement quickly faded when he retained some of his most valuable and tradeable assets - Voracek and Giroux. Without moving them, the rebuild was already a misguided venture. I said it then, and I am saying it now, trading those two in their time would have potentially put a rebuild into hyperdrive.

Then they treated Provorov like a #1 dman, which he simply isn't. They also had Hart stop in the AHL for a cup of coffee before being thrown in at the NHL level behind a poor dcorps. No wonder his confidence is shot! Look around the league and any other goalie about his age is either given time to learn behind a veteran starter or playing games at the AHL level.

I must also point out the hiring of Fletcher, also a failure. He showed in Minny he's not capable of building a contender. Look no further than the work Billy G has done with the Wild. Fletcher was out, and Guerin tinkered and built a competitive team rather quickly.

This entire organization is nothing but a joke.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Giroux is one of the best TDL targets in years.

Guy can play any forward position, one of the top PP guys, can PK.

Usually it's a lot of spare parts or over the hill players. At 50% retention on a contending team he's gotta make them the favorite or close to it.

I'd probably use the Nash trade as the best barometer for what you should expect here. A 1st, a mid-six roster player, and a mid-level prospect. It's not that Giroux isn't a great player, it's that there's only so much you'll get for a guy who may only play 25 games in your uniform. Maybe you get a smidge more because Giroux can play center.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I’ve thought that too. I think he would want to stay close and or win a cup. He’s got a little kid. I have 0 problem trading him to the Rangers.

I realize it would hurt like hell to see him in a Rangers jersey, but as I've said repeatedly - there are not many teams that can actually pony up the assets and have the cap space.

And let's face it - Giroux isn't the only guy you need to figure out. Obviously, Yandle, Braun, and Brassard should be dealt. Ristolainen has to go. I think if you can get out of the Sanheim contract, you do it. Same with JVR at this point, really. That the Rangers could take Giroux with no retention is an asset in and all of itself if the Flyers decide to tear it down.

I don't think Fletcher could say no if the Rangers offered to take his full weight and put a 1st and one of Kravtsov/Jones on the table. There's more to work out there, but it's a package most teams couldn't match.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Giroux is one of the best TDL targets in years.

Guy can play any forward position, one of the top PP guys, can PK.

Usually it's a lot of spare parts or over the hill players. At 50% retention on a contending team he's gotta make them the favorite or close to it.

Him and Hertl will command one hell of a return at the deadline.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I realize it would hurt like hell to see him in a Rangers jersey, but as I've said repeatedly - there are not many teams that can actually pony up the assets and have the cap space.

And let's face it - Giroux isn't the only guy you need to figure out. Obviously, Yandle, Braun, and Brassard should be dealt. Ristolainen has to go. I think if you can get out of the Sanheim contract, you do it. Same with JVR at this point, really. That the Rangers could take Giroux with no retention is an asset in and all of itself if the Flyers decide to tear it down.

I don't think Fletcher could say no if the Rangers offered to take his full weight and put a 1st and one of Kravtsov/Jones on the table. There's more to work out there, but it's a package most teams couldn't match.
Why would we want to get out of Sanheim’s deal? He’s prob our best dman and doesn’t even have much of a contract.

I wouldn’t care if G went to anyone other than the Pens. Even then, get the most you can for him and send him wherever he wants.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Rangers fan here, we’ll take good care of him. Honestly, though I haven’t felt the rivalry hate as much the last 5 yrs or so. We have the pieces to make something happen, I really like CG having watched him over the years. The worst part may be us seeing Krat or Jones tear it up in Philly for years.

Reactions: Limeyjim

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Assuming Mantha LTIR, Washington has room, and should be all over this.

Washington starts with:

WSH - Giroux (33% retention)

PHI - 2022 first, 2023 second

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Doesnt guarantee anything and there’s potentially a lot of other good players who could presumably land in Colorado (Hertl, Forsberg, Malkin, Kessel). I think Barron+ is a great trade chip that moves a prospect from an area or depth to help address a need, instead of moving a prospect from an area or need for a short term fix.
As far as Hertl goes not really. Can't have a defender coming back as the main piece for out top C.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
As far as Hertl goes not really. Can't have a defender coming back as the main piece for out top C.

Lmao, the Barron+ wasn’t necessarily aimed directly at the Sharks, but rather in reply as a good starting point for a rental and saying that there’s more options than just.

Good to know SJ has no interest in any defensive prospects as a main piece.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Lmao, the Barron+ wasn’t necessarily aimed directly at the Sharks, but rather in reply as a good starting point for a rental and saying that there’s more options than just.

Good to know SJ has no interest in any defensive prospects as a main piece.
Not sure what's amusing but okay

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Assuming Mantha LTIR, Washington has room, and should be all over this.

Washington starts with:

WSH - Giroux (33% retention)

PHI - 2022 first, 2023 second

I think the Flyers would ask for a decent amount more. Even with an NMC...

I think Flyers ideally would want young players coming back in the 19-23 range.

Coleman got way more than that.
Pageau got more than that.
In effect the cost of Foligno was not far off.

There is an argument that Giroux is still a cusp top ~10 LW in the NHL. Given his two-way ability, PKing, and ability to sub in at C too. (he has actually played the last 14 games at C, and been Flyers best player by far over that time.)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I could see the wild making a run at him.

Lambos and a 1st maybe? Cap dumps and or retention involved.
They aren't giving up Lambos for a guy they can't re-sign(cap) for next year. One of Peart/Hunt/ROR, and a 1st, maybe, depending on where they are in the standings. If Rask goes the other way(4M expiring), then it lessens the amount that would need to be retained. Knowing how Fletcher is wired, though, I don't see such a trade happening unless it is blindingly obvious that PHI won't be in the playoffs. He is a "win now" GM.

Lambos will be a guy that they will be depending on in a couple few years to fill the top of the D lineup when they are in their cap hell due to Suter Parise buyouts.

FWIW, Guerin has stated many times that he doesn't like acquiring expiring contracts at the TDL. He feels like it usually doesn't work, and that the player needs a training camp to mesh with the new team. I don't know that I agree 100%, but he's got a point.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Just because things were going way too well in Vancouver before the Covid postponements....

What would the cost of Risto and Giroux at half retained be? We're thin on prospects, but for arguments sake, let's say young players, DP and picks are the basis.

Just for arguments sake, I still want us to re-evaluate and potentially rebuild, but Giroux's a stellar player, and I think Risto would be great under Boudreau, if Myers is any indication.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
I assume the Flyers would retain half to maximize their return? He's a UFA at the end of the year and there no way a cup contender can pay 8.3 million cap space to fit him in, especially with the way he's been playing. He's had an awful defensive year but his offense still hasn't been bad.

I would say he'd go for the standard 1st+ at the deadline.
Think teams would prefer to go after Forsberg/Klingberg for example though over Giroux. He's older, lacks the winners pedigree, and the last time he was good in the playoffs was exactly 10 years ago.

I can GUARANTEE, you have looked at his plus/minus only and not watched him play this year, when making this statement.

Guarantee.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The thing with Giroux is that he likely is done with Philly right?

Dude wants to win. What exactly about the Flyers right now points to him winning there in his career?

I think its time for a change of scenery as well, and the let Couts be the face of the team. End of an era.

But yes, I imagine hell be looking for a new home this summer. No reason to stay other than not uprooting his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad