Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Blanket statement if people are thinking Giroux is a "decent" addition to a playoff team...

Giroux is still a total freak. Best yet underrated forward this past decade. And he's still bringing the heat. God forbid you put him with another offensive wizard... fireworks.

Stutzle next season

Reactions: topshelf15

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I know this is vomit-inducing for Flyers fans, but the Rangers make a f***ing ton of sense as a partner here. We can part with a real prospect like Kravtsov, we can give the pick(s) and/or longer-shot prospects to fill out the deal, we don't need you to eat a lick of salary in the transaction.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I know this is vomit-inducing for Flyers fans, but the Rangers make a f***ing ton of sense as a partner here. We can part with a real prospect like Kravtsov, we can give the pick(s) and/or longer-shot prospects to fill out the deal, we don't need you to eat a lick of salary in the transaction.
Giroux ain’t going to a metro rival, I just don’t see it

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
No chance the Avs move Newhook. Avs have a log jam of young talent on their backend and Justin Barron is looking more and more like he should have been a top 10 pick. What about this with 50% retention

Barron
Compher
3rd

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
We'll do it for Chytil and Zac Jones.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I’ve thought that too. I think he would want to stay close and or win a cup. He’s got a little kid. I have 0 problem trading him to the Rangers.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
No chance the Avs move Newhook. Avs have a log jam of young talent on their backend and Justin Barron is looking more and more like he should have been a top 10 pick. What about this with 50% retention

Barron
Compher
3rd
You should change the 3rd to a 1st and offer this to Van for JT Miller.

Ledge And Dairy

Been a fan of G for a long time. Would love him on the Flames. Impossible to do it without sending Monahan back but I wouldn't have any problem putting a 1st and a A prospect on the table with that. Can he play RW? Know he has mostly played LW, C but seems intelligent enough to handle opposite wing duties well.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Giroux/Tkachuk
Tkachuk/Giroux - Backlund - Mangiapane

Would be a nasty top 6.
Not exactly true, Flames are going to accrue a lot of cap space with Valimaki getting games in in Stockton. At 50% they could probably afford him at the Deadline without sending out someone like Pitlick/Dube. Also Mangiapane, Coleman, and Dube are all comfortable playing on the right side. Nothing wrong with having Giroux on the left, its more about adding a legitimate top 6 RHS to the roster

Ledge And Dairy

I'd say he can't carry a line of scrubs as a C ( as he did early in his Flyers career), but if flanked with decent linenates, He'd be perfectly fine. Doesn't quite have the speed to go end to end any more, so likely best with a more responsible winger of some sort.
Mangiapane and Coleman are the literal definitions of defensively responsible wingers ;)

Evergreen

can he play RW ?
Would look good w Panarin and Strome on paper
Giroux began his NHL career as a RW, but we haven't seen him there in a long time. Regardless, I can't imagine the Flyers would trade Giroux to a division rival.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

Barron
Compher
3rd

Barron and first is a good start but that's where the discussion gets tricky.
Compher is on the right salary range but the guy that gets me interested is kadri on a recruiting tour

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux began his NHL career as a RW, but we haven't seen him there in a long time. Regardless, I can't imagine the Flyers would trade Giroux to a division rival.

I'm not so sure that would be a deal breaker. In the scenario where we're trading him, we're not making the playoffs, so if the deal is meaningfully better for us than another offer, and he's willing to go there, I think we would take it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Giroux has a NMC, so if he wants to refuse to sign an extension and narrow his list of teams he'll accept a trade to down to one, then he can.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Id take him on Rangers. Not sure Philly would want that though. Especially not without an overpayment.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Giroux has a NMC, so if he wants to refuse to sign an extension and narrow his list of teams he'll accept a trade to down to one, then he can.

Do you think he'd be willing to come to Edmonton to take a run at the playoffs on McDavid's wing? Or Draisaitl's for that matter?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Do you think he'd be willing to come to Edmonton to take a run at the playoffs on McDavid's wing? Or Draisaitl's for that matter?

I'm sure he'd be happy to do that, even if he didn't plan to be there long-term. Can only extend his career to play with McDavid probably.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm sure he'd be happy to do that, even if he didn't plan to be there long-term. Can only extend his career to play with McDavid probably.

I don't know what a fair offer would be for Giroux, only that a 50% retention is probably a requirement from the Oilers standpoint. They have like... no cap room.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't know what a fair offer would be for Giroux, only that a 50% retention is probably a requirement from the Oilers standpoint. They have like... no cap room.

Can't imagine that would be an issue.

The ask will likely be a 1 + decent/good prospect since I'd imagine Giroux will be the top asset at the TDL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad