Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For a playoff run? Yes. also I imagine Giroux would be used at C.
I will fully admit my ignorance of the bulk of Eastern Conference play at this point, but didn't his resurgence correspond with moving from center to wing? Like I'd love for Minnesota to add Miller and he's arguably in the same boat, but what I've seen from Miller in the last 2 years gives me a lot more confidence in him panning out between Kaprizov and Zuccarello. No idea how Giroux would do there at this point.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I said he isn't playing well. You obviously didn't even read what I said.

I'm aware, Ive bet too much on the Flyers lately since on paper they look solid, only to watch the on ice product bomb.
The only 2 Flyers who have looked remotely consitent is G (other than mess of a Devils game)and Hart. Flyers haven't looked solid in 85% of their games this year. Their defensive metrics across the board are way worse than last year other Hart's sv %. They had a hot goalie covering their backsides. If Hart was a 910 sv% goalie his first 10 games, they would be bottom five record easily.
What on paper looks solid about the Flyers? I got to hear this case made.
JVR's being ice cold/hitting age wall?
Braun on line 1 D pairing?
The Yandle Seeler pairing?
The 4th line that couldn't make a decent minor league 2nd line?
Oskar's one goal?
Farabee taking a month off from scoring?
The 3 in 40 pk ERRRR pp?

G is the only player that has showed up and played well 95% of the time. That he is scoring this well with all the attention he garners and lack of scoring the entire rest of the team gives him is not an indication of one way play. Its an indication how good he is carrying around a boat load of anchors.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Ah, so this explains it then. Taking your anger out on one of the few players that is actually showing up won’t help you win your money back bud

It's a popular narrative with us in general, even with those who love Giroux.

A lot of us can't stand to see him waste any more time with a franchise that has utterly failed to surround him with talent for 10+ years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I will fully admit my ignorance of the bulk of Eastern Conference play at this point, but didn't his resurgence correspond with moving from center to wing? Like I'd love for Minnesota to add Miller and he's arguably in the same boat, but what I've seen from Miller in the last 2 years gives me a lot more confidence in him panning out between Kaprizov and Zuccarello. No idea how Giroux would do there at this point.

As I said, he’s taking the most face offs on the team, he plays on Couts wing, but he’s effectively filling out the center factors already. It’s not like Kaprizov doesn’t play wing like a center anyway.

Couts also has missed time the last few years and Giroux just steps into the C role and continues to produce and be a defensive starlet.

Reactions: BernieParent

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I mean if the Flyers want to go full-on Tank Commander, trading G might do it. Trade Hart as well and you won't have to blow up the team to rebuild, it'll just fall apart on its own.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean if the Flyers want to go full-on Tank Commander, trading G might do it. Trade Hart as well and you won't have to blow up the team to rebuild, it'll just fall apart on its own.

The thing with Giroux is that he likely is done with Philly right?

Dude wants to win. What exactly about the Flyers right now points to him winning there in his career?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As I said, he’s taking the most face offs on the team, he plays on Couts wing, but he’s effectively filling out the center factors already. It’s not like Kaprizov doesn’t play wing like a center anyway.

Couts also has missed time the last few years and Giroux just steps into the C role and continues to produce and be a defensive starlet.
Not sure the face-offs are that big a deal (not that the Wild couldn't use that, too), but the bolded is duly noted.

I do think Minnesota's going to be taking a hard look at something like this. If they're looking at Miller they're probably also looking at guys like Hertl and Giroux. This season might be the last hurrah before some uh.... "development years."

Reactions: GuerinUp

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To win a cup.

Doesnt guarantee anything and there’s potentially a lot of other good players who could presumably land in Colorado (Hertl, Forsberg, Malkin, Kessel). I think Barron+ is a great trade chip that moves a prospect from an area or depth to help address a need, instead of moving a prospect from an area or need for a short term fix.

Reactions: Weast

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Can G play centre full time?
G is a lw at this point in his career. Now could he in an emergency say Kadri pulls a Kadri in the playoffs and G fill in during a suspension? Sure. But full time he is a wing who wins faceoffs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
G is a lw at this point in his career. Now could he in an emergency say Kadri pulls a Kadri in the playoffs and G fill in during a suspension? Sure. But full time he is a wing who wins faceoffs.

If he was comfortable playing centre full time, Calgary would pony up to get him. Really don't need another LW on the team. He is a righty, so there might be something there... but, the premise of being a centre is what makes him attractive to us.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If he was comfortable playing centre full time, Calgary would pony up to get him. Really don't need another LW on the team. He is a righty, so there might be something there... but, the premise of being a centre is what makes him attractive to us.
People looking at G for center are barking up the wrong tree. Now say you are playing G with a young C who is not good at faceoffs, and G takes all the faceoffs .That is a totally different animal.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesnt guarantee anything and there’s potentially a lot of other good players who could presumably land in Colorado (Hertl, Forsberg, Malkin, Kessel). I think Barron+ is a great trade chip that moves a prospect from an area or depth to help address a need, instead of moving a prospect from an area or need for a short term fix.

Potentially none of those players are available and Kessel is toast.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
There is a correct middle ground between Newhook plus and 10 goal scorers in Greenway and slop.

1) Assume Flyers can retain on G but want no part of pending ufa's or vets with long term deals. They have cap issues. JVR probably gets bought out but retaining Risto losing G doesn't leave a ton of cap. (Thanks Fletcher!)
2) If your team wants him as a full time 2c you are making the wrong play. G is a lw excellent at faceoffs, either 3rd player on 1st line or best player on second line at this stage is ideal usage. See Colorado.
3) Assume it will take picks/prospects because if you trade G then a teardown needs to happen for Flyers.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Man he would be a perfect fit in Toronto but i cant see us giving up the required cost (which would be pretty large, IMO) while knowing we 100% couldnt retain him as a free agent.

He is almost everything i would want in our top 6 with either Tavares/ Marner or Nylander/Matthews.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I'd love to have him in DC, but he'd be a luxury, and wouldn't really want the Caps to pay the sort of price a bidding war over him would create.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad