Value of: Christopher Tanev to Toronto

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
Please no. If we're trading Tanev the main piece in return should be an impact prospect, not a 27 year-old even if he's a solid player on a great contract.

Exactly.On the other hand,can't see Tanev being traded in near future barring an extreme overpayment.Benning wants PO and without Tanev we're doomed especially with our questionable depth.Another thing that's very important is Tanev's contract.4.45M(expires in 2020) is an awesome price for what he bring to the table.Negotiations with Leafs would be brief,don't see a trade that makes sense for both teams.Different stages,different needs.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
makes sense, I would want big-value for Tanev as well. If the Canucks are out of it by the deadline I think you would get a ton of value for him, a contending team's top non-roster prospect plus

seems like VAN is a little caught in-between: not in a full blown rebuild but not going all-in either.

If it was Kadri/JVR+Kapanen+our 1st round pick would that be of interest? JVR could be flipped for something decent to a contender I would think. Top pairing RHD is an obvious need, and if our rebuild gets ahead of schedule this year we might look to fill that hole sooner rather than wait

Really intriguing for sure, don't feel like we need Kadri and I wonder whether JVR would have any interest in resigning when his contract is up.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
lol @ barf.

Yeah and it's all contingent as well if Troy Stecher can play on our right side with Edler well full time.

JVR on our 2nd line is pretty much a perfect fit.

& acquiring 1st rounders is becoming increasingly rare lately ha.

Sedins Eriksson
JVR Sutter Hansen
Bart Bo Granlund/Rodin

The only thing worse than your proposal is that line up. Acquiring a winger for the second line only to anchor him with Brandon Sutter is just awful! Terrible asset management.
Acquire a player for Bo or nothing as Bo is the second line. Sutter is a slightly overpaid role player meant for the 3rd line.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Really intriguing for sure, don't feel like we need Kadri and I wonder whether JVR would have any interest in resigning when his contract is up.

Kadri would be a useful long term asset but probably won't blow the doors off, though I do think he's capable of about 60pts if he has linemates who are better than him. Defensively he's alright-but-not-great, but he goes into the corners and draws a ton of penalties (yes he dives, but he also makes guys trip him)

JVR is probably more interesting if he was signable long term, but he could always be flipped for a nice package of futures next year if you guys weren't contending

Either way, seems like that could be a package worth discussing if Toronto was threatening for the playoffs this year and Vancouver was out of it at the trade deadline

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Kadri would be a useful long term asset but probably won't blow the doors off, though I do think he's capable of about 60pts if he has linemates who are better than him. Defensively he's alright-but-not-great, but he goes into the corners and draws a ton of penalties (yes he dives, but he also makes guys trip him)

JVR is probably more interesting if he was signable long term, but he could always be flipped for a nice package of futures next year if you guys weren't contending

Either way, seems like that could be a package worth discussing if Toronto was threatening for the playoffs this year and Vancouver was out of it at the trade deadline

For Toronto. 14 pages and you leafers still don't get it. It'll take an asset you don't want to move. Don't want too? Move on. Tanev isn't for sale, nor are the Canucks looking to deal him. All points to blow our socks off or kick rocks. Really is this too hard for you guys to understand?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
For Toronto. 14 pages and you leafers still don't get it. It'll take an asset you don't want to move. Don't want too? Move on. Tanev isn't for sale, nor are the Canucks looking to deal him. All points to blow our socks off or kick rocks. Really is this too hard for you guys to understand?

I responded to his offer and he responded back, you don't speak for us all bud, simmer down.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

FWIW - the offer wasn't JVR or Kadri, it was JVR/Kadri+Kapanen (1st round pick who's getting scoring line opportunity in the AHL for the first time and has 7pts through 5 games)+our 1st round pick (in the scenario that we'd be looking to add Tanev it's probably a mid 1st)

so far 2 Canucks fans have said that deal would interest them, and you're the first to say it wouldn't

I also didn't ask the question to insinuate that Tanev isn't good or that the fanbase is overvaluing him, I asked it to get an honest response as to whether that package would be of interest because Tanev fills a need for us. It also involves giving up 3 assets that I don't want to give up as a leaf fan, but I recognize that it takes value to get value.

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
The only thing worse than your proposal is that line up. Acquiring a winger for the second line only to anchor him with Brandon Sutter is just awful! Terrible asset management.
Acquire a player for Bo or nothing as Bo is the second line. Sutter is a slightly overpaid role player meant for the 3rd line.

Sutter is tied for the lead in team points so far with Hank (5pts each, with Sutter having 4 assists), he's playing well.

While Bo is showing he's better as a one man show, as he loves the bulldoze his way to the net like a young Ryan Kesler.

Anyways JVR would be our 2nd best LW and is only 27, he'll allow Baertschi and Horvat get 'sheltered' minutes on the 3rd, plus WD has shown he would give Horvat 2nd line type minutes anyways no matter where BH is penciled in the lineup.

JVR would probably play in a variety of roles with either Sutter, Horvat and/or Granlund, he'd give WD way more options up front.

But as Randy Randerson said, this probably wouldn't be done now, but later on, it would be interesting in the offseason where JB can get permission to speak to his agent to see if there is a possibility of re-signing before a trade consummates.

JVR, a prospect, plus a 1st, really intriguing if we can speak jvr's agent prior to trade.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:facepalm: people still aren't able to gauge non "flashy"players. Christopher Tanev is 100% non questionably a top pairing dman, it shouldn't even be a debate at this point.

Defensive Dmen in general don't get any respect around here. You have to know how to evaluate Dmen to see the value they bring (i.e. gap control, defensive positioning, closing passing lanes, clearing the front of the net, ability on the breakouts, etc.). It's not flashy or noticeable, but they play fundamental roles in team success.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Our bad, didn't realize Vancouver management was in here.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If I'm Vancouver, I settle for nothing less than one of Nylander or Marner.

those guys won't be available, Tanev really only fits the plan for the leafs if they propel the team ahead of schedule this year, in which case its just filling one hole by creating another.

If those were the only pieces that Van would consider for Tanev then there would be no deal to be had.

Watch for risers in the leafs system this year though, we got fixated on this idea of "the big 3" but we also have one of the deepest systems in the league. A good year for Kapanen, Johnsson, Timashov or Nielsen in the AHL could rise their stock to the "blue chip" level and those pieces would be more expendable than guys already on the big club roster

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Tanev is a first pairing dman?? :laugh: sure.

How is that funny? He IS a top pairing defenceman.

Might as well laugh at Morgan Reilly too. A player who's arguably inferior to Tanev.

Anyways, you either give us Marner or Nylander, or no deal is to be made. Simple as that.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Next years defence:

Rielly Burns
Gardiner Liljegren
Marincin Zaitsev
Neilsen Carrick
Dermott Corrado
Valiev
Loov

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
those guys won't be available, Tanev really only fits the plan for the leafs if they propel the team ahead of schedule this year, in which case its just filling one hole by creating another.

If those were the only pieces that Van would consider for Tanev then there would be no deal to be had.

Watch for risers in the leafs system this year though, we got fixated on this idea of "the big 3" but we also have one of the deepest systems in the league. A good year for Kapanen, Johnsson, Timashov or Nielsen in the AHL could rise their stock to the "blue chip" level and those pieces would be more expendable than guys already on the big club roster

I'll play ball: if Tanev was traded to Toronto right now and none of the big 3 are available, Vancouver really should have no interest in paying for potential-for-potential. If it's one of those guys, and to be clear Kapanen is the only one I personally have any familiarity with, there would have to be a 1st with conditions attached (and I don't mean lottery protection).

All that said, I think if the big-3 are off the table (obviously Matthews should be) then Vancouver widens the conversation to other offers.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'll play ball: if Tanev was traded to Toronto right now and none of the big 3 are available, Vancouver really should have no interest in paying for potential-for-potential. If it's one of those guys, and to be clear Kapanen is the only one I personally have any familiarity with, there would have to be a 1st with conditions attached (and I don't mean lottery protection).

All that said, I think if the big-3 are off the table (obviously Matthews should be) then Vancouver widens the conversation to other offers.

If you read up in the thread, I proposed JVR/Kadri+Kapanen+our 1st if the leafs were ahead of the expected curve around the deadline. The 1st would probably be a mid round pick in that case. I don't think the leafs would be in the market for Tanev immediately given the way our season has started, but the groundwork could be laid for something closer to the deadline - would also afford Vancouver the chance to assess your situation, the team could still be good if the Sedins click

I think Vancouver would field every offer if they were legitimately thinking about parting with an asset like Tanev, can't afford to take less than max value for a guy like him, but I think that the offer above is pretty decent too

If the leafs were in a bottom 10 spot, I think I'd rather hang on to the assets and use that pick on a RHD, Tanev is right on the bubble age wise to be still in his prime while our core is peaking so it really only makes sense if we're competitive earlier than expected

Does that offer sound like it's in the ballpark?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad