Value of: Christopher Tanev to Toronto

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What's laughable is a leafs 1st round pick being a main piece in a trade for Tanev, Tanev playing on the leafs makes them at the very least a borderline playoff team, which makes that pick a mid rounder, not even close to enough to get Tanev.

As it has been said, we don't want to trade him, which means if your team wants him you overpay, ie. your giving up a player you don't want to.

Lol. If only it were that easy.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
In terms of player values I think this is pretty close. Fair value is set by the open market, though... so it would depend on what offers Benning would receive from other teams as well.

There would probably have to be a small addition from the Leafs side of things but the basis of the deal would definitely not involve Nylander or Marner. That's laughable and would immediately involve Lou hanging up the phone. Lol

...Right handed top pairing defensemen are worth a king's ransom. Look at what Larsson got. Tanev is better than him, and he still got Hall. You're looking at Nylander/Marner and then some. This always turns into a ****-on-one-another thread, but that's just the price. Don't want to pay it? Good luck getting a top pairing right handed defenseman who's on one hell of a contract. With all due respect, if we're looking to trade Tanev, we need to get a homerun, #1 centre coming back. Tanev is certainly good enough to get it, so if Tanev is ever made available on the market, we'd certainly get a #1 centre coming back. Look at Seth Jones. At this point he's still a lot of potential (I'd say he's a #3 in my limited viewings of him). He got Ryan Johansen in return for him. Going by previous cases and knowing the demand these kind of players have, I'd say it's pretty safe to say he would get a #1 centre/potential #1 centre.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
...Right handed top pairing defensemen are worth a king's ransom. Look at what Larsson got. Tanev is better than him, and he still got Hall. You're looking at Nylander/Marner and then some. This always turns into a ****-on-one-another thread, but that's just the price. Don't want to pay it? Good luck getting a top pairing right handed defenseman who's on one hell of a contract. With all due respect, if we're looking to trade Tanev, we need to get a homerun, #1 centre coming back. Tanev is certainly good enough to get it, so if Tanev is ever made available on the market, we'd certainly get a #1 centre coming back. Look at Seth Jones. At this point he's still a lot of potential (I'd say he's a #3 in my limited viewings of him). He got Ryan Johansen in return for him. Going by previous cases and knowing the demand these kind of players have, I'd say it's pretty safe to say he would get a #1 centre/potential #1 centre.

Larsson was too unique to use as a barometer. Would you trade Horvat for Hjalmarsson? That's how leafs fans would look at that trade. No chance Tanev gets a blue chipper like that, and I love Tanev.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If it takes a player like McCann to get Gudbranson and Hall to get Larsson then Tanev could easily fetch Nylander + Marner. Tanev is underrated.

I have seen a lot of bad posts on here in my day, but this might be the worst one ever.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Larsson was too unique to use as a barometer. Would you trade Horvat for Hjalmarsson? That's how leafs fans would look at that trade. No chance Tanev gets a blue chipper like that, and I love Tanev.

Hjalmarsson is left handed and Tanev is right. Pretty big difference.

If I'm trading for a 26 year old Hjalmarsson, I'd give up Horvat for that. It would be the only thing that would be fair.

But I'm trading for a 29 year old Hjalmarsson and for a team with a rebuild on the horizon, that wouldn't be smart.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Chia's stupidity is not an accurate gauge of market value.

I get that you may not want to trade Tanev - but there isn't a single team in the league whose going to trade you TWO bluechip prospects for him.

Most would likely say Jones holds more value than Tanev too because he still has that potential to be a true #1 guy. Tanev is a good player but he's a #2.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I do think the Larsson and Jones deals accurately reflect the market for d men with #1 potential. We have no other examples to work with. I have a feeling GMs were not as surprised by those deals as the commentariat was.

Tanev is assumed to just be a #2, so he'll be worth somewhat less, but still quite a lot. I think his value would be less than Nylander's but closer to Nylander than Kadri. If Tanev was younger and had Jones' upside you could assume he'd be worth more than Nylander.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Highly doubt Leaf's would deal any of their young guys on the starting roster for Tanev. Not that he isn't worth it, just that we don't know what we have yet and Tanev would be a piece you want if your trying to contend for a cup, that wouldn't happen for another 3 years at least.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Doesn't Kap look like a perennial 3rd liner? I thought that I have read leafs and pens fans talk about that?

More because he wasn't getting opportunity on a very deep AHL team, his offensive output was inconsistent but he could wow as well. He has the wheels and grit to play on a 3rd line, but has offensive upside and this year will be telling because he's getting offensive opportunity on the Marlies - and so far so good, 3 goals and 4 assists in 5 games. Some of those have been impressive too: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/t...-named-ahl-player-of-the-week-toronto-marlies

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Now, first of all I don't think it would be incredibly smart to move Chris Tanev from the Canucks...

Nor do I think Benning WILL because he's so important..

But, I think there could be a deal made that could make sense for both teams...

The Canucks need a center that can take over after the Sedins retire for some amount of time.

The Canucks have the viable replacements for Tanev in the minors/scratched which would allow them better playing time.

The Canucks could use a good center to play with some of their younger wingers while Eriksson is pretty much permanently with the Sedins for the rest of the careers...

The Leafs need a top pairing RH d-man to stick beside Rielly and they were great together when playing with Canada.

The Leafs have more than enough young offense to make up for losing some.

The Leafs and Canucks are in separate conferences as a whole, so there's very little chance it comes back and 'bites' either team...

This is why I'm proposing Chris Tanev for Nazem Kadri.

Yes, I know the Canucks have Sutter, and Horvat and Granlund, but none of them really have the offensive capabilities to be a replacement for the Sedins long term... Besides, either Sutter or Granlund can play wing easily..

I also know that Tanev has a bit more value than Nazem, but I can't really figure out what can be added from Toronto to make it fair... That's where you come in...

Have at it.

Not interested in Kadri. Nylander yes. Marner yes. I imagine AM is off the table (obviously for good reason)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not interested in Kadri. Nylander yes. Marner yes. I imagine AM is off the table (obviously for good reason)

you can count on the big 3 not being on the table, especially with all 3 looking like they're making it in the NHL (small sample, but it's gone about as well as we could have hoped)

If that meant Tanev wasn't available, that would be fine

I think the leafs would be willing to offer a significant sweetener to Kadri, JVR, etc because Tanev would fit our needs nicely, but we're also in a position to try to draft for that need, so something like Kadri/JVR+Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott/Neilsen would likely be available

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
you can count on the big 3 not being on the table, especially with all 3 looking like they're making it in the NHL (small sample, but it's gone about as well as we could have hoped)

If that meant Tanev wasn't available, that would be fine

I think the leafs would be willing to offer a significant sweetener to Kadri, JVR, etc because Tanev would fit our needs nicely, but we're also in a position to try to draft for that need, so something like Kadri/JVR+Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott/Neilsen would likely be available

Makes sense and i understand. If i were the Leafs i wouldnt wanna lose those guys either. Thats a very bright future with those three and i am quite jealous

From a Canucks perspective we are not in a win now mode no matter how backwards Benning is. If we were i would consider Kadri JVR or some other pieces like that. But since winning is nowhere in the near future i would only want a dynamic top end talent piece like AM Marner or Nylander - but clearly not available so .... hope your rebuild goes well and maybe theres a smaller deal in the future that works for both teams! :)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Chia's stupidity is not an accurate gauge of market value.

I get that you may not want to trade Tanev - but there isn't a single team in the league whose going to trade you TWO bluechip prospects for him.

Most would likely say Jones holds more value than Tanev too because he still has that potential to be a true #1 guy. Tanev is a good player but he's a #2.

I don't think it was a stupid trade. We are a way better team with Larsson.

Right handed defensive Dmen have more value to people who actually know hockey (i.e management) than TSN talking heads and HF. Throw in a sweetheart contract and it looks even better.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Makes sense and i understand. If i were the Leafs i wouldnt wanna lose those guys either. Thats a very bright future with those three and i am quite jealous

From a Canucks perspective we are not in a win now mode no matter how backwards Benning is. If we were i would consider Kadri JVR or some other pieces like that. But since winning is nowhere in the near future i would only want a dynamic top end talent piece like AM Marner or Nylander - but clearly not available so .... hope your rebuild goes well and maybe theres a smaller deal in the future that works for both teams! :)

makes sense, I would want big-value for Tanev as well. If the Canucks are out of it by the deadline I think you would get a ton of value for him, a contending team's top non-roster prospect plus

seems like VAN is a little caught in-between: not in a full blown rebuild but not going all-in either.

If it was Kadri/JVR+Kapanen+our 1st round pick would that be of interest? JVR could be flipped for something decent to a contender I would think. Top pairing RHD is an obvious need, and if our rebuild gets ahead of schedule this year we might look to fill that hole sooner rather than wait

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
seems like VAN is a little caught in-between: not in a full blown rebuild but not going all-in either.
about right, remaining competitive while getting younger, striving hard for the playoffs with the Sedins here.

If it was Kadri/JVR+Kapanen+our 1st round pick would that be of interest? JVR could be flipped for something decent to a contender I would think. Top pairing RHD is an obvious need, and if our rebuild gets ahead of schedule this year we might look to fill that hole sooner rather than wait

JVR+Kap+1st and that's a done deal. #fireupthefaxes.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
about right, remaining competitive while getting younger, striving hard for the playoffs with the Sedins here.
The getting caught in between was always our undoing, hope it goes better for you guys. Juolevi and Boeser look like good gets though

JVR+Kap+1st and that's a done deal. #fireupthefaxes.

I would do that if the leafs rebuild looked like it was ahead of schedule in the first ~50 games. At that point the 1st rounder probably isn't top 10, but JVR can likely be flipped for another 1st rounder, good start to a rebuild in flight

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
lol @ barf.

I would do that if the leafs rebuild looked like it was ahead of schedule in the first ~50 games. At that point the 1st rounder probably isn't top 10, but JVR can likely be flipped for another 1st rounder, good start to a rebuild in flight

Yeah and it's all contingent as well if Troy Stecher can play on our right side with Edler well full time.

JVR on our 2nd line is pretty much a perfect fit.

& acquiring 1st rounders is becoming increasingly rare lately ha.

Sedins Eriksson
JVR Sutter Hansen
Bart Bo Granlund/Rodin

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
lol @ barf.

Yeah and it's all contingent as well if Troy Stecher can play on our right side with Edler well full time.

JVR on our 2nd line is pretty much a perfect fit.

& acquiring 1st rounders is becoming increasingly rare lately ha.

Sedins Eriksson
JVR Sutter Hansen
Bart Bo Granlund/Rodin

Well that could get to be an interesting conversation a little closer to the deadline depending on how things break for both teams

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Due to contract status' as in JVR is a UFA in a one in a half seasons, what about JVR + kap for Tanner.

Please no. If we're trading Tanev the main piece in return should be an impact prospect, not a 27 year-old even if he's a solid player on a great contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad