Value of: Christopher Tanev to Toronto

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Read this thread people think he's worth Nylander

Ya I just didn't know which proposal you were responding to, there has been a bunch of packages proposed

in a vaccuum Tanev is probably worth Nylander the prospect of a year ago, but with the NHL level success under his belt Nylander's stock is rising quickly and now isn't the time to sell

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If you read up in the thread, I proposed JVR/Kadri+Kapanen+our 1st if the leafs were ahead of the expected curve around the deadline. The 1st would probably be a mid round pick in that case. I don't think the leafs would be in the market for Tanev immediately given the way our season has started, but the groundwork could be laid for something closer to the deadline - would also afford Vancouver the chance to assess your situation, the team could still be good if the Sedins click

I think Vancouver would field every offer if they were legitimately thinking about parting with an asset like Tanev, can't afford to take less than max value for a guy like him, but I think that the offer above is pretty decent too

If the leafs were in a bottom 10 spot, I think I'd rather hang on to the assets and use that pick on a RHD, Tanev is right on the bubble age wise to be still in his prime while our core is peaking so it really only makes sense if we're competitive earlier than expected

Does that offer sound like it's in the ballpark?

I tried to imply earlier that I'm not a Vancouver fan--I have fun thinking about these kinds of things, especially when I can have a discussion with someone trying to have a genuine conversation about it. Kudos to you for that.

I think it would depend on what Kap and the 1st are doing, but I'm sure something around that is workable. The only real niggle I would have, again were I in Vancouver's shoes, is that the 1st has the potential for being pretty well situated in the upper half of whatever draft it's in--certainly complicated since I take it that part of your premise is that the Leafs are within sniffing distance of a playoff spot. This is all pure value talk, as well--I'm not intimately familiar with what Vancouver's needs are.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How is that funny? He IS a top pairing defenceman.

Might as well laugh at Morgan Reilly too. A player who's arguably inferior to Tanev.

Anyways, you either give us Marner or Nylander, or no deal is to be made. Simple as that.

you really think Nylander is on the table?
9pts in 6 games as a rookie. 21 pts in his last 19 NHL games.
It would take a name like Ekblad,Lindholm,Ghostisphere to pry him away, not Tanev

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I tried to imply earlier that I'm not a Vancouver fan--I have fun thinking about these kinds of things, especially when I can have a discussion with someone trying to have a genuine conversation about it. Kudos to you for that.

I think it would depend on what Kap and the 1st are doing, but I'm sure something around that is workable. The only real niggle I would have, again were I in Vancouver's shoes, is that the 1st has the potential for being pretty well situated in the upper half of whatever draft it's in--certainly complicated since I take it that part of your premise is that the Leafs are within sniffing distance of a playoff spot. This is all pure value talk, as well--I'm not intimately familiar with what Vancouver's needs are.

Oh fair enough, I missed that implication I guess. Never understand why fanbases come out just looking to flame eachother in these threads, they're supposed to be a sounding board for trade ideas so its good when they get used that way, and some fans from both sides in here have participated - some have even shut down flamers from their own side

If we're following current trends, I think Kap is going to have a good year. Right now he's pacing for about a hundred-point year as a 20 year old, but count on that slowing so let's say that he ends up around point a game or close enough to it that he gets noticed as a 20 year old in the AHL

In the case that Toronto is willing to deal for Tanev I would think it means we're pushing to try to make the playoffs and believe that its not a blip, so I think that 1st round pick would likely be in the middle but would carry some risk of us making the playoffs and going deep enough to push that into the 20's. We could put conditions on to push it to the 2018 first rounder, but I think the perception would be that we would continue to improve so the picks get worse over time

If it's JVR that gets included, because of his short contract and team friendly numbers, I think he could be flipped for another 1st rounder +. Somewhere between what Andrew Ladd got from Chicago and Bobby Ryan got from Ottawa

To me it looks like Vancouver's needs are: high end offensive talent to take over from the Sedins, high end prospects at all positions (Juolevi, Boeser and Demko make a decent farm, but depth would be good if they're trying to rebuild without being bad)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vancouver had their chance at Nylander already and blew it.

#2014draft

Nylander 0.79ppg
Virtanen 0.22ppg

its still early, but they would certaintly take a do-over at this stage.
Dal Colle and Fleury are miles behind, Toronto is pretty fortunate to have landed Willy at 8. could be the best forward of that draft class

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
you really think Nylander is on the table?
9pts in 6 games as a rookie. 21 pts in his last 19 NHL games.
It would take a name like Ekblad,Lindholm,Ghostisphere to pry him away, not Tanev

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I guess the leafs would be adding then? No chance Nylander alone gets one of those players.

I really like Nylander, but come on he not worth a #1dman, not yet.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Nylander 0.79ppg
Virtanen 0.22ppg

Dal Colle and Fleury are miles behind, Toronto is pretty fortunate to have landed Willy at 8. could be the best forward of that draft class

Wow comparing two completely different players, great, not like context is important at all right?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nylander 0.79ppg
Virtanen 0.22ppg

Scouts can get it wrong all the time. Honestly people probably should have seen this coming. Guys who are that successful in the SHL and Allvenskan at that age are rare.

Although IIRC I think Pronman had Willie at like 3 or something. Only behind Ekblad and Bennett. At the time I didn't even think it was really crazy either. I was on Nylander train and really hoping the Canucks would take him at 6.

Doesn't seem like a too crazy prediction now.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
How is that funny? He IS a top pairing defenceman.

Might as well laugh at Morgan Reilly too. A player who's arguably inferior to Tanev.

Anyways, you either give us Marner or Nylander, or no deal is to be made. Simple as that.

:laugh: Keep him

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Marner and Nylander would be 1st in 2nd in team scoring for Vancouver.

They're 19 and 20 years old.

No thanks, bahd.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
As opposed to the Nucks fan saying Marner+Nylander for Tanev? Say crazy things....get crazy responses.:handclap:

Like the OP proposing Kadri for Tanev?

Not saying either side is innocent in their demands, but Canuck fans know exactly what Tanev brings to the team. Yes, he doesn't score much but he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the game today. Everyone usually points at his lack of points for why he's not worth much but if he played for your team, you wouldn't want him to go cheaply either.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Like the OP proposing Kadri for Tanev?

Not saying either side is innocent in their demands, but Canuck fans know exactly what Tanev brings to the team. Yes, he doesn't score much but he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the game today. Everyone usually points at his lack of points for why he's not worth much but if he played for your team, you wouldn't want him to go cheaply either.

Kadri-Tanev is alot closer than Tanev-Marner+Nylander. I like Tanev, but there is no deal to be made here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad