Player Discussion Christian Dvorak Part 2

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I have a good feeling about what Dvo can bring to the top 9 over the next year and a half.

In his first year with us he had 33 points in 56 games. That's a pace of 48 points in 82 games. Get him the right linemates and he can produce 50 points per 82 games. I just think he may help the team more on the wing, with Suzuki - Dach - Monahan holding down the center position.

He's just really vanilla. He should get better as he gets more games in, but in Montreal, he's the type of player that can play all situations, but doesn't really seem to excel in any situation.

Maybe in a different system/environment, you can get more out of him, but I don't see him making any breakthrough here.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I have a good feeling about what Dvo can bring to the top 9 over the next year and a half.

In his first year with us he had 33 points in 56 games. That's a pace of 48 points in 82 games. Get him the right linemates and he can produce 50 points per 82 games. I just think he may help the team more on the wing, with Suzuki - Dach - Monahan holding down the center position.
Take the pink glasses off. lol

Dvorak has played with a lot of good players in his now 440+ NHL games career. There is no way this guy breaks out. He is good at faceoffs, that’s about it, and you see him on the wing?

The reason why the pace theory doesn’t hold is because Dvorak went on a hot streak. There is 0 chances he can hold that rythme on a full season.

Can he go on a hot streak in the future? Yes.

Can it last a full season? No, because it is a hot streak. It can’t be sustained.

He's just really vanilla. He should get better as he gets more games in, but in Montreal, he's the type of player that can play all situations, but doesn't really seem to excel in any situation.

Maybe in a different system/environment, you can get more out of him, but I don't see him making any breakthrough here.
I don’t think there is more to him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I don't think so. Even if he wasn't coming back from his surgery, his skills and overall talent doesn't fit his salary and his rank in the line-up. He just qualifies as an nhler, his place is 3rd C on a bad team or press box on a good team. Acquiring him was a mistake from the beguining and I can't beleive so many posters here beleived he was a cheaper and better replacement than the C we let walk to LA.

We'll have to be patient, endure his full time with us like Drouin because I guess he have sero value on the trade market. Next year tdl if we are lucky and if he have a better year. Maybe.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Take the pink glasses off. lol

Dvorak has played with a lot of good players in his now 440+ NHL games career. There is no way this guy breaks out. He is good at faceoffs, that’s about it, and you see him on the wing?

The reason why the pace theory doesn’t hold is because Dvorak went on a hot streak. There is 0 chances he can hold that rythme on a full season.

Can he go on a hot streak in the future? Yes.

Can it last a full season? No, because it is a hot streak. It can’t be sustained.

I don’t think there is more to him.

I don't know what you're hearing when you read my posts, but I'm not saying he's going to be a star or anything, but I do know he's got good finish around the net going back to his Arizona days. In montreal, he's not even going to the areas where he would typically have his success, so yeah, he can do better in a different situation.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Just too plain. I think he's a player who would do better in a different era. I would gladly take Dvo when the habs needed Cs in years past, but he doesn't fit the style. I know they like him as a vet in the locker room though hopefully he doesn't stay around because of that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think so. Even if he wasn't coming back from his surgery, his skills and overall talent doesn't fit his salary and his rank in the line-up. He just qualifies as an nhler, his place is 3rd C on a bad team or press box on a good team. Acquiring him was a mistake from the beguining and I can't beleive so many posters here beleived he was a cheaper and better replacement than the C we let walk to LA.

We'll have to be patient, endure his full time with us like Drouin because I guess he have sero value on the trade market. Next year tdl if we are lucky and if he have a better year. Maybe.
Best I can say is, we've seen what he can do at C - not much. So, might as well try him on the wing while we're stuck with him.

Having said that, Monahan has really slowed down. Can he even hold down the 3c spot long term?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There was a time when Marc Bergevin supposedly did a great job making trades. This wasn't one of those trades.
What does he do well?

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There was a time when Marc Bergevin supposedly did a great job making trades. This wasn't one of those trades.
What does he do well?
I can only see him being useful either as a complimentary player playing with two good offensive players, or as a 4th liner.

We haven't seen him in either role.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't know what you're hearing when you read my posts, but I'm not saying he's going to be a star or anything, but I do know he's got good finish around the net going back to his Arizona days. In montreal, he's not even going to the areas where he would typically have his success, so yeah, he can do better in a different situation.
In retrospect, I don't think anyone would do the trade again to acquire Dvorak. But we don't have a time machine and frankly, exactly who on the current roster or in Laval would be an upgrade over Dvorak? At least he wins the occasional face-off and plays a responsible defensive game. Until Dach returns from injury, Beck is ready to play at the NHL level or we acquire another superior center through trade or free agency, we are 'stuck' with Dvorak. There are a lot of problems with this organization and team, I would suggest that Dvorak is one of the least of our problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
In retrospect, I don't think anyone would do trade again to acquire Dvorak. But we don't have a time machine and frankly, exactly who on the current roster or in Laval would be an upgrade over Dvorak? At least he wins the occasional face-off and plays a responsible defensive game. Until Dach returns from injury, Beck is ready to play at the NHL level or we acquire another superior center through trade or free agency, we are 'stuck' with Dvorak. There are a lot of problems with this organization and team, I would suggest that Dvorak is one of the least of our problems.
I mean, if the team didn't trade for Dvorak, they would've either traded or signed someone else to hill his role. They wouldn't be calling up some random AHL'er and put him in the exact same position.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I mean, if the team didn't trade for Dvorak, they would've either traded or signed someone else to hill his role. They wouldn't be calling up some random AHL'er and put him in the exact same position.
Dvorak right now is not playing any better then Evans....and most people would prefer to see Evans stick to the 4thC role. Dvorak is not an ok option for the 3C spot. yes he's ok defensively, but he should have some offensive flair in order to step into the 2C spot if needed.

The C line was and remain a weak position for MTL. Laval has no skilled C to offer. This is something that will need to be addressed soon.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Dvorak right now is not playing any better then Evans....and most people would prefer to see Evans stick to the 4thC role. Dvorak is not an ok option for the 3C spot. yes he's ok defensively, but he should have some offensive flair in order to step into the 2C spot if needed.

The C line was and remain a weak position for MTL. Laval has no skilled C to offer. This is something that will need to be addressed soon.
Look, it's literally illegal to trade for a centre.

Reactions: 26Mats

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What does he do well?

He made some "good" trades. Nobody bats 100% on deals.

That being said, this was a panic response to losing KK for nothing. Its similar to his panic moves when he let Markov and radulov walk.

MB was destructive in these situations.

Reactions: windycity

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Top-10 in FO% through most of the year, seems mostly recovered from his injury. I think a team with a more structured, grinding system would do great with him as a 3C. Another case of a good role player that's expected to play outside his capacity in MTL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad