Value of: Chris Tanev

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'd do Tanev for Kapanen and 3 picks

make the 3rd pick conditional even

To Toronto: Tanev

To Vancouver : Kapanen, 2017 first, 2017 second, 2018 third (becomes 2nd if Tor makes ECF)

Something to that effect

Not even commenting on value......why would a team who isn't rebuilding and currently in a playoff push, win now mode with twins throw away their best D for a bunch of magic beans?

If they were tearing the team down to the ground, total scorched earth rebuild...trying to tank......your offer might make more sense. As it stands your offer is only taking into consideration leafs needs......not the Nucks.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not even commenting on value......why would a team who isn't rebuilding and currently in a playoff push, win now mode with twins throw away their best D for a bunch of magic beans?

If they were tearing the team down to the ground, total scorched earth rebuild...trying to tank......your offer might make more sense. As it stands your offer is only taking into consideration leafs needs......not the Nucks.

This thread was started when the Nucks were floundering. I agree with you, at this point, discussing a Tanev trade is pointless.....they are going to live or die with a playoff push, and you don't move your best D in that situation.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Here is why you move Tanev....................

#1. The Canucks will not have a first line ready when the Sedin's retire, if they do have a 1st line, it will not be a polished, explosive first line, this will take time, so counting the remaining part of this year, next year, plus development years, you are probably looking at 4 years, until our team has a strong 1st and 2nd line. (2 lines that can be effective on the Powerplay and ES)

#2. The Canucks have an abundance of RD all of a sudden and although young, fit in with the Sedin's slow demise......Stetcher, Tryamkin, Gundbranson are all under 23 years old

#3. Tanev's contract becomes a NTC contract July 1st, 2017, therefore causing a log jam on RD for the remainder of his contract....either that or move a lesser Dman for a less return..............we have enough 3/4 line players, and why would you trade the young dman that look good and still have ceiling to develop?

#4. Attached to #3...............deal from strength........RD is our strength!

If you don't like the suggestion....I get it...............

But

Tanev

for

Kapanen, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd...........has a lot of value

Wouldn't mind hearing from some Toronto fans on this offer!

Nov 1, 2011
Boychuk was a great player in Boston, I wouldn't take that as an insult. He also had a year where he was a decent #1D for the Islanders.

Yep, Bos trading him was a major blunder.

They didn't seem to realize how important he was to the team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Here is why you move Tanev....................

#1. The Canucks will not have a first line ready when the Sedin's retire, if they do have a 1st line, it will not be a polished, explosive first line, this will take time, so counting the remaining part of this year, next year, plus development years, you are probably looking at 4 years, until our team has a strong 1st and 2nd line. (2 lines that can be effective on the Powerplay and ES)

#2. The Canucks have an abundance of RD all of a sudden and although young, fit in with the Sedin's slow demise......Stetcher, Tryamkin, Gundbranson are all under 23 years old

#3. Tanev's contract becomes a NTC contract July 1st, 2017, therefore causing a log jam on RD for the remainder of his contract....either that or move a lesser Dman for a less return..............we have enough 3/4 line players, and why would you trade the young dman that look good and still have ceiling to develop?

#4. Attached to #3...............deal from strength........RD is our strength!

If you don't like the suggestion....I get it...............

But

Tanev

for

Kapanen, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd...........has a lot of value

Wouldn't mind hearing from some Toronto fans on this offer!

As a guy who really likes Tanev, you think a rebuilding team should be trading 4 youth pcs for a 27 year old?

crazybagoham

Jun 11, 2015
As a guy who really likes Tanev, you think a rebuilding team should be trading 4 youth pcs for a 27 year old?

especially since Nylander is 4th in rookie scoring, about as untouchable as Marner/Matthews..... I dont get why people keep putting him in trades.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

Nucks don't do it b/c they aren't rebuilding

Leafs don't do b/c they are rebuilding. Adding a 27 yr old D no matter how good he is, is a poor choice of asset management

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Tanev is also a great mentor to our young guys coming up- Stetcher, Tryamkin and hopefully soon Joulevi. I hope we keep him for at least another couple of seasons. Unfortunately he has the "Salo luck" with injuries lately:laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Tanev is also a great mentor to our young guys coming up- Stetcher, Tryamkin and hopefully soon Joulevi. I hope we keep him for at least another couple of seasons. Unfortunately he has the "Salo luck" with injuries lately:laugh:

He has the "Lupul luck"

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012

Aqualini? Is that you?

You really think we're going to make the playoffs with twins who aren't producing as much and a complete bust in Eriksson? lol.

The twins have 1 year left. I seriously hope the nucks do NOT resign them unless they're willing to do a 2 year 2 million deal each.

Tanev's value is as high as it's going to get. You want to get assets now for him, players or picks. The nucks waited too long on Hamhuis, waited too long on Beiksa.. waited too long on Luongo. Etc etc etc

If you're truly a Canuck fan, i pity you if you think we're making a playoff push. I mean sure, we'll get in maybe.. and then bow in in the first round like always?

Fun fact.. if the canucks ever make it out of the 2nd round we go to the cup finals. We're 3-0 in WCF yet 0-3 in SCF lol

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012

you're still rebuilding? You're pretty much making a playoff statement this year with Marner Matthews etc etc

You want Tanev, who will help you tremendously.. You don't want to give up your young 3.

And now apparently you don't want to give up picks with a lesser prospect for a #2 shutdown D that plays on the right side.

Okay then.. I guess Tanev for a conditional 7th would be more your thing? if he plays 2 games for the leafs, the 7th becomes future considerations! How's that? :sarcasm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
you're still rebuilding? You're pretty much making a playoff statement this year with Marner Matthews etc etc

You want Tanev, who will help you tremendously.. You don't want to give up your young 3.

And now apparently you don't want to give up picks with a lesser prospect for a #2 shutdown D that plays on the right side.

Okay then.. I guess Tanev for a conditional 7th would be more your thing? if he plays 2 games for the leafs, the 7th becomes future considerations! How's that? :sarcasm:

now we're talking I'd do the bolded one.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

4 pieces as Kapanen, 2017 first, 2017 second, 2018 third?

With those pieces, Toronto should take that in a second. Toronto gets tanev for this year plus 3 more on a cost controlled contract. That's 4 playoff runs. Teams give up a first for a decent rental. To put things om [erspective look at some of Toronto's recent deals. Polak got two 2nds, as a rental. It's not even a good draft.

You are worried he's 27? He's in his prime and will be for another 5-6 years. The years Toronto has the best shot of combining cheap ELCs/RFA/bridges with performance. If I'm Toronto I'd look at it the same way Edmonton looked at the Larsen deal, you are getting a piece that fits with new core, and that piece is proven. You aren't going to get Reinharted or spend 5 years trying to draft one and then develop hit. It hurts to give up futures when there are world of mystery boxes out there but you are buying a sure thing and that's worth a lot in terms of stability and piece of mind.

A 27yo 3 years ago wouldn't have made sense, a the start of season with the team's development curve unknown, maybe not. Today it does, you know how the team is going, you roughly know where the picks will be be and you don't give up a core piece off the roster.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
4 pieces as Kapanen, 2017 first, 2017 second, 2018 third?

With those pieces, Toronto should take that in a second. Toronto gets tanev for this year plus 3 more on a cost controlled contract. That's 4 playoff runs. Teams give up a first for a decent rental. To put things om [erspective look at some of Toronto's recent deals. Polak got two 2nds, as a rental. It's not even a good draft.

You are worried he's 27? He's in his prime and will be for another 5-6 years. The years Toronto has the best shot of combining cheap ELCs/RFA/bridges with performance. If I'm Toronto I'd look at it the same way Edmonton looked at the Larsen deal, you are getting a piece that fits with new core, and that piece is proven. You aren't going to get Reinharted or spend 5 years trying to draft one and then develop hit. It hurts to give up futures when there are world of mystery boxes out there but you are buying a sure thing and that's worth a lot in terms of stability and piece of mind.

A 27yo 3 years ago wouldn't have made sense, a the start of season with the team's development curve unknown, maybe not. Today it does, you know how the team is going, you roughly know where the picks will be be and you don't give up a core piece off the roster.

2nd year of a rebuild....so no, no they shouldn't. And yes, "contending" teams trade for rentals...the Leafs are not that. Stick with the plan.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Eriksson for Rielly

Loui Eriksson 31 years old...50GP...21 points... 5 more years at 6mil cap(lol)
JVR 27 years old 47GP 39 points....1 more year at 4.25mil cap

Morgan Rielly 22 years old 42GP 17 points (not as good defensively) 5 more years 5mil cap
Chris Tanev 27 years old 26GP 6 points (not as good offensively) 3 more years 4.45mil cap

Yes, your comparison is spot on in value....:laugh:

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Leafs window should open next year when they have very very very good players on ELCs and a crap ton of Cap space.
Possibly...and i am ok dealing our 1st+ for Tanev, but not our 1st...our best forward prospect (KK) and 2 more picks after that. Some team may do that, and that's OK, i just wouldn't do it...just my opinion.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Eriksson for Rielly

Yeah, sure.

And your point is . . . that JVR and Tanev are not roughly equivalent?

I'm guessing here because JVR and Tanev have much more equivalence than Eriksson and Reilly.

If that's your point it's an utterly useless comparison.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I know we get all caught up on values here on Hboards but it wouldnt surprise me if Tanev went for picks if Van is out at the deadline like a 2017 1st + 2017 2nd + warm defensive body.
It isn't sexy, but those are usually the trades that happen in reality.

Sekera at the deadline two years ago got a 1st and a prospect as a pending UFA and with no where near the value of Tanev who is signed long term on a good deal, yet Tanev "realistically" at the deadline could only fetch a 2nd rounder more, and people say Tanev is overrated, no posts like this prove otherwise.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sekera at the deadline two years ago got a 1st and a prospect as a pending UFA and with no where near the value of Tanev who is signed long term on a good deal, yet Tanev "realistically" at the deadline could only fetch a 2nd rounder more, and people say Tanev is overrated, no posts like this prove otherwise.

Tanev easily gets a 1st+ right now, that shouldn't be a dispute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad