Value of: Chris Tanev

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Not really that close.

A better one would be Gardiner for Baertschi, which I wouldn't do.

1. You get the point but you're being difficult on purpose.
2. Baertschi + your 1st doesn't get Gardiner. Baertschi might be valuable to the nucks but he doesn't have that much value around the league

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Nylander doesn't earn Babcock full trust over the next year, I could actually see Tanev for Nylander. And I dont think that would be a bad trade for Toronto at all.

Tanev would be a great add but not for Nylander.
His inability to create any offense as well as his inability to even play 3/4 of a season limits his 1-for-1 value

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Tanev would be a great add but not for Nylander.
His inability to create any offense as well as his inability to even play 3/4 of a season limits his 1-for-1 value

I absolutely see what you mean, but I still think it could be a good deal for both sides, in the way that the Hall - Larson deal was (despite a sizeable "value" disparity)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's more than an overpayment. It makes the team worse.

Leafs won't make the playoffs with their current blueline...and they know it....but the market for legitimate top-four blueliners has already been set by previous deals around the NHL.

So I guess the Leafs can either pay up or decide that since they're a year ahead in their rebuild anyway, that it's on to 'next year'.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Maybe we need to pre-face every thread involving Tanev, because leafs fans still don't seem to get it. I'll explain it again in the simplest possible way.

1. We don't want to trade Tanev, understand?

He can be part of our long term plans despite what uninformed Canucks fans and fans of other teams think.

2. There for we as fans will continue to request an overpayment, understand?

3. An overpayment is not Kapanen and a 1st rounder, understand?

4. An overpayment is a player you don't want to give up, understand?

Like Marner, Nylander, we understand that your team will not trade these players, it's just that these players constitute overpayment.

This. Developing our young defenders should be our top priority. Having one of the best defensive Dmen in Tanev for our D to learn from holds more value to the Canucks than what we get in a trade for him.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If Nylander doesn't earn Babcock full trust over the next year, I could actually see Tanev for Nylander. And I dont think that would be a bad trade for Toronto at all.

If Juolevi doesn't earn Desjardin's full trust over the next year, I could actually see JVR for Juolevi. And I dont think that would be a bad trade for Vancouver at all.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
A Tanev trade doesn't make sense unless we miss out on one of the potential 1C's this draft. If that happens I would trade Tanev for a potential 1C or 1LW.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This. Developing our young defenders should be our top priority. Having one of the best defensive Dmen in Tanev for our D to learn from holds more value to the Canucks than what we get in a trade for him.
Exactly, what are the nucks fans thinking in trading him away? Keep him, rebuild through the draft. Same advice I'd give the Leafs brass. I'd be po'd if they traded away one of the big 3 rookies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If Juolevi doesn't earn Desjardin's full trust over the next year, I could actually see JVR for Juolevi. And I dont think that would be a bad trade for Vancouver at all.

lol, yesterday a Leafs fan accused me of trying to troll Leaf fans by being too positive about JVR, now another Leafs fan is accusing me of being a Nucks homer. Never stops with you guys!

For what it's worth, if the Nucks had several great young DMen, somewhat lacked veteran forwards, and were almost ready to compete, I don't think JVR for Juolevi would be terrible value either... only difference really is that teams rarely "need" just one more forward.

Also, Tanev is locked up for cheap for the next 3.5 years. The Leafs will/could be ready to compete in that time, and Tanev would be their #1 DMan right now. I love Nylander, he's my favourite of the Leaf rookies, but right now he is your #6 or 7 fwd in terms of usage and impact. Its not as ludicrous as you seem to believe.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs won't make the playoffs with their current blueline...and they know it....but the market for legitimate top-four blueliners has already been set by previous deals around the NHL.

So I guess the Leafs can either pay up or decide that since they're a year ahead in their rebuild anyway, that it's on to 'next year'.

Leafs are 1 point out with 5 games in hand on Boston and 3 on Philly...another fun fact, in the last 3 games....all of which were played without Rielly, they have given up a total of 2 goals....in 180 minutes.

Gardiner/Zaitsev
Marincin/Carrick
Hunwick/Polak

Let that sink in....the Leafs are 9th in goal differential. ..ahead of teams like Chicago/LA etc...and 15th in goals allowed.

Who knows if they make it, but as someone posted in another thread, they right now have an 87% chance.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
lol, yesterday a Leafs fan accused me of trying to troll Leaf fans by being too positive about JVR, now another Leafs fan is accusing me of being a Nucks homer. Never stops with you guys!

For what it's worth, if the Nucks had several great young DMen, somewhat lacked veteran forwards, and were almost ready to compete, I don't think JVR for Juolevi would be terrible value either... only difference really is that teams rarely "need" just one more forward.

Also, Tanev is locked up for cheap for the next 3.5 years. The Leafs will/could be ready to compete in that time, and Tanev would be their #1 DMan right now. I love Nylander, he's my favourite of the Leaf rookies, but right now he is your #6 or 7 fwd in terms of usage and impact. Its not as ludicrous as you seem to believe.

I think the ridiculous concept is a rebuilding team, like Toronto, trading a top 5 rookie for a 27 year old.

This is why it would be equally ridiculous for VAN to trade Juolevi for JVR.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I think the ridiculous concept is a rebuilding team, like Toronto, trading a top 5 rookie for a 27 year old.

This is why it would be equally ridiculous for VAN to trade Juolevi for JVR.

Meh. In a year or so, Tanev will be 28 and the Leafs might be on their way to a 2nd straight playoff appearance. I can see where your apprehension comes from, but trades like that happen. Johansen for Jones, Hall for Larsson, even Foligno + 2nd for Methot is somewhat similar... Nylander is obviously much better than Foligno was at the time, but Tanev is also better than Methot was. None are exact fits, but they are all somewhat similar.

Again, I see your apprehension, but I think its the type of move the Leafs will have to make eventually - JVR doesnt have nearly the same value as Nylander because he is soon to be a UFA, but if the Leafs resign JVR I could see Nylander being dealt for a top pair D.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Just some food for thought:

Canucks record with Tanev: 15-5-6
Canucks record without Tanev: 8-16-0

Canucks GAA with Tanev: 2.76
Canucks GAA without Tanev: 3.41

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014

[mod]

explain how trading a 5th overall pick future top 2 D is worth a player in the last year of his contract

how bout we send you Philip Larsen for JVR

Last edited by a moderator:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Like I said. The Canucks can keep Tanev and enjoy mediocrity. When you are a defenseman in this league with no puck moving skills, it doesn't matter if you are solid defensively. You aren't bringing back anywhere near the packages Canucks fans are demanding.

A huge factor in why Tanev's shot surpression stats are so good is because he can move the puck out with ease. Saying that he has no puck moving skills is blatantly wrong.

The "defensive defencemen" with no puck moving skills get torched in terms of shots/corsi against. Gudbranson is a perfect example of this.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A huge factor in why Tanev's shot surpression stats are so good is because he can move the puck out with ease. Saying that he has no puck moving skills is blatantly wrong.

The "defensive defencemen" with no puck moving skills get torched in terms of shots/corsi against. Gudbranson is a perfect example of this.

But what I seriously don't get is how a defense man that thrives on shot suppression though zone exits can be such a blackhole for generation. He plays ridiculously low event hockey at both ends of the ice

Does he concede the line easily?
Is he bad at getting pucks through? Keeping the ozone play alive?
A wizard that turns his icetime into a pointless game of neutral zone pong?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Meh. In a year or so, Tanev will be 28 and the Leafs might be on their way to a 2nd straight playoff appearance. I can see where your apprehension comes from, but trades like that happen. Johansen for Jones, Hall for Larsson, even Foligno + 2nd for Methot is somewhat similar... Nylander is obviously much better than Foligno was at the time, but Tanev is also better than Methot was. None are exact fits, but they are all somewhat similar.

Again, I see your apprehension, but I think its the type of move the Leafs will have to make eventually - JVR doesnt have nearly the same value as Nylander because he is soon to be a UFA, but if the Leafs resign JVR I could see Nylander being dealt for a top pair D.

Or how about you trade us Olli Juolevi for James van Riemsdyk? Seems just as ludicrous, no?

Maybe your Tanev led Canucks will be looking to make their second drive deep into the playoffs by next year?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But what I seriously don't get is how a defense man that thrives on shot suppression though zone exits can be such a blackhole for generation. He plays ridiculously low event hockey at both ends of the ice

Does he concede the line easily?
Is he bad at getting pucks through? Keeping the ozone play alive?
A wizard that turns his icetime into a pointless game of neutral zone pong?

Your questions are a good example of why I don't think it's worthwhile for any team to trade a potentially impactful young player to get Tanev. If you traded Jonathan Drouin to Vancouver to get him, you're going to be left scratching your head at why you traded all that youth and production to get a guy whom you're always wondering what the heck they actually do.

Don't get me wrong, a quiet black hole of a defenseman is a good complimentary piece, but it seems like that's the kind of player you get by trading a 2nd and 5th to a well run defensive program to grab their defensive surplus.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Or how about you trade us Olli Juolevi for James van Riemsdyk? Seems just as ludicrous, no?

Maybe your Tanev led Canucks will be looking to make their second drive deep into the playoffs by next year?

Are you thick? I'm a fan of neither team. I already said that.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Nucks should keep Tanev! 27 is young for a D, more then enough for your rebuid and perfect to nursing D prospects coming in! Edler and Sedins at deadline for picks or prospects(Sedins retained ). Louie could also bring in a 1st or a prospect at deadline.

Toronto fans will keep the cookies and still add a cookie, suggest you try the ufa market, good luck with your cap. Then you can try to put Nylander on the openmarket and see what he catch? 1st D? No!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Benning isn't trading Juolevi. If any defensemen is traded, it's Hutton or Tanev.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Your questions are a good example of why I don't think it's worthwhile for any team to trade a potentially impactful young player to get Tanev. If you traded Jonathan Drouin to Vancouver to get him, you're going to be left scratching your head at why you traded all that youth and production to get a guy whom you're always wondering what the heck they actually do.

Don't get me wrong, a quiet black hole of a defenseman is a good complimentary piece, but it seems like that's the kind of player you get by trading a 2nd and 5th to a well run defensive program to grab their defensive surplus.

this is a perfect example of needing to watch a player, he isnt a quiet black hole hes very noticeable on the ice in a good way

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Nucks should keep Tanev! 27 is young for a D, more then enough for your rebuid and perfect to nursing D prospects coming in! Edler and Sedins at deadline for picks or prospects(Sedins retained ). Louie could also bring in a 1st or a prospect at deadline.

Toronto fans will keep the cookies and still add a cookie, suggest you try the ufa market, good luck with your cap. Then you can try to put Nylander on the openmarket and see what he catch? 1st D? No!

No one is going to want that boat anchor of a contract and at this point player, for a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad