Rumor: Chris Johnston: Some believe Toronto is the front runner for Ben Chiarot.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I can't wait for him to be traded (to whoever and for whatever), so we can end these debates.
There will be at least a week of debates after he’s dealt
From the Haters side if he fetches a haul:
“X GM was dumb and should be fired”
“Prospect X is a bust”
“It’s a late 1st so basically a 2nd”

From the Habs side if he doesn’t:
“Rookie GM was dumb and should be fired”
“Didn’t want to wait any longer and risk injury”
“Chiarot sucks and would’ve been happy with a 4th”

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
At the deadline, contending teams might trade for a player who offers positional contingency or to cover for existing injuries. Ekblad was injured down the stretch and for the playoffs last year, so Florida may want to shore up a position which is critical to their success, even if they end up underplaying and overpaying for that player, because some teams are only lucky enough to contend every couple of decades.
Read the damn posts. The argument put forward by the guy that has magically disappeared from embarrassment was “Chiarot played 23 minutes in the playoffs on a team that was in the finals….every team wants that guy to do that for every team”. News flash, no they don’t, and if they put Chiarot in for Hedmans role they would be destroyed. The have 2nd and even 3rd pairing dman that would step up…not insert Chiarot to replace Hedman. Chiarot brings down EVERY dman he has played with in the last 5 years. Who wants him moving up a strong teams dcore to weaken the contending team they have. You strengthen your team by trading a 1st from players that are better than you have. Contenders would pick Lindholm, mason, chychrun, Klingberg, muller, leddy, anyone….not Ben Chiarot who would not be an improvemnt

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As more teams Fall out of the playoffs more options playoff teams will have to target & prices likely go down slightly overall
Or more teams will think they still have a chance to get in, or will decide to wait for the draft floor, and prices will go even higher?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I believe he’s not worth a first. I also believe usage, minutes etc etc etc can all be taken from who he played with. You don’t get to brush under the rug that every single d partner had a drop in production when paired with Chiarot because it’s inconvenient to your argument. That’s not how that works.

I acknowledged that Chiarot's Corsi stats are unfavourable. I'm not sweeping anything under the rug. You don't believe he's worth a first and that's a fair opinion. Given that you didn't answer my questions, I assume you disagree with the insistent and hyperbolic conclusions Brixton keeps repeating.

You really have to learn to read and follow the conversation. Otherwise you look really stupid commenting on things that have been gone over and over and over and over again and again (thanks to the poster I was responding to just wants to keep moving the goalposts of his arguments to try to come up with why Chiarot is so good and deserves a 1st). We have covered all that stuff previously. Chiarot is not good, has been protected by playing with elite dman like buff and Chiarot his entire career, has terrible corsi number, brings down EVERY parrner he has ever played with etc. His last argument was that teams want him cause he plays 23 minutes a night, and plays PK minutes. My point was no contender is looking to trade for a guy to come in and play 23 minutes a night for them because they have dmen that made them contenders. They are also not looking for a guy that plays 3 minutes a night PKing when the the job he is doing one of the worst in the league, and 15% lower than contenders ratings.

So you are Welcome you now have the coles notes version and almost caught up. For all the rest go back and read the posts like I told you to do in the first place. I have better things to do than save you time from making your posts look ignorant.

Speaking of posting the same thing over and over again...:help:

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Another good night for Chiarot

Last 4 games ; 3pts, +7, 24:15 TOI

Other teams can't get many high quality chances since MSL is the HC and he trust Chiarot the most for a reason.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Another good night for Chiarot

Last 4 games ; 3pts, +7, 24:15 TOI

Other teams can't get many high quality chances since MSL is the HC and he trust Chiarot the most for a reason.
Also i noticed him completely shut down the play with under a minute to go and Ottawa was pressing. Play was along the boards and he pinned/checked the senator player along the boards, puck popped free and habs cleared.

that’s the exact play that is needed in playoffs. Break down the cycle and plays down low and chiarot is really good at that

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think the fact that the trade deadline is 3+ weeks away definitely helps the Canadiens cause. This is a completely different team under St Louis. Some players whose values may had taken a bit of hit are definitely rebounding nicely at the moment.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
As a Leafs fan…I have no issue trading a 1st for the right piece, problem is…no idea what that piece is right now…lol. Goalie?? RHD??? LHD??? 2nd line LW???

We need it all….

Reactions: domiwroze

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you have an issue reading? No team that is a contender is looking to acquire Chiarot to play 23 minutes a night. The reason teams are contenders is because they don’t have dmen like Chiarot playing on there team, and if they had such players they wouldn’t be contenders. Do you really think Tampa Bay or Florida or Carolina is thinking…damn once we get Ben Chiarot we are going to throw him out there on the PK for 3 minutes a night so we can get our PK% down from 88.9% to closer to 73% like Montreal’s? What the hell have you been smoking to list that as a positive? E

As for comparing Chiarot to Ekbald, Trouba, Klingberg, provorov….there is no world where Chiarot belongs in the same breath as those player when taking skill. There is a reason Ekblad has earned $81 million over his career (and he is only 26), Trouba $43m at 27, Klingberg $31m at 28 (and about to get a hefty raise), And Provirov $20 million and he just turned 25……while Chiarot who is about to be 31 has made $15 mill, for almost double the earning period.

really you are embarrassing yourself with your posts. But if you want to “play another game” I am ready for it. Just make sure you bring facts that actually mean something next time, cause this is too easy. Maybe use emojis again, cartoons bring up at least a entertainment value to your many posts, that the content you write lacks.

Like I said, you take your witch hunt approach and apply that target to a lot of other D men to make it look bad. You're ingoring usage and how others look like that too. But that goes against your narrative so it's completely ignored. You seem to think you know more than actual GM's and reputable members of the media.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can you find a positive one? I’ll wait.

It's posted already. Not posting it again. Look at how he looks compared to McDonagh who is also a physical type who gets a lot of D zone starts. He measures up quite well but people think Chiarot is just some fringe top 4D guy who looked good cause he played with Weber. Well, he's providing the same numbers without Weber this year.

You have your mind already made up. So keep waiting cause I don't think you will change your mind even if there are positive context in many areas like Corsi/D Zone stars, Hits/60, Blocks/60, etc.

Diver3368

Dec 14, 2013
As a Leafs fan…I have no issue trading a 1st for the right piece, problem is…no idea what that piece is right now…lol. Goalie?? RHD??? LHD??? 2nd line LW???

We need it all….[/QUOT

Goalie. I love Soup but we need at a .920 save percentage to advance deep in playoffs

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
It's posted already. Not posting it again. Look at how he looks compared to McDonagh who is also a physical type who gets a lot of D zone starts. He measures up quite well but people think Chiarot is just some fringe top 4D guy who looked good cause he played with Weber. Well, he's providing the same numbers without Weber this year.

You have your mind already made up. So keep waiting cause I don't think you will change your mind even if there are positive context in many areas like Corsi/D Zone stars, Hits/60, Blocks/60, etc.

You are clueless about analytics and you embarass yourself with your meaningless nhl.com stats.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Like I said, you take your witch hunt approach and apply that target to a lot of other D men to make it look bad. You're ingoring usage and how others look like that too. But that goes against your narrative so it's completely ignored. You seem to think you know more than actual GM's and reputable members of the media.
Ignoring usage when he literally posted with and without stats with every D partner he’s had. Make it make sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are clueless about analytics and you embarass yourself with your meaningless nhl.com stats.

Corsi with D zone stars, hits/60, blocks/60, giveaways/60, and takeaways/60, ice time, and points, are not meaningless stats. Nice try

These are stats actual GM's have looked at as well as the eye test in the last two playoffs. And you think that the interest in Chiarot by actual NHL GM's and these stats are meaningless? I think you are clueless and embarrassing yourself by trying to fight against it. I'm willing to look at both pros and cons but you and others are obsessed with devalue attempts.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Corsi with D zone stars, hits/60, blocks/60, giveaways/60, and takeaways/60, ice time, and points, are not meaningless stats. Nice try

These are stats actual GM's have looked at as well as the eye test in the last two playoffs. And you think that the interest in Chiarot by actual NHL GM's and these stats are meaningless? I think you are clueless and embarrassing yourself by trying to fight against it. I'm willing to look at both pros and cons but you and others are obsessed with devalue attempts.
‘I’m willing to look at both pro’s and con’s’- person that’s not at all willing to look at cons

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
He's not the answer. Even heard some Hab fans saying he looked good last year because he was playing with Weber who covered up a lot of his weaknesses. I wouldn't sacrifice a first for him.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm always amazed how low quality the commentary is around here. Chiarot hasn't been a bottom pair D for years. Played 32 playoff games the past 2 years and averaged 24 mins a game. 50+ games in the playoffs the last 4 years, was playing top 4 mins his last playoff run on a pretty good Jets team.

For a guy his size his skating is unique, has a good first pass. On pace for 18-20 points, on a very bad hockey team. Very mean and physical, shitty fighter if that matters,

I have no doubt his advanced stats are terrible, he is playing the toughest assignments on a bottom feeder team, with AHL partners in front of AHL goaltending.

Whatever teams picks him up is getting a beauty. Anyone that thinks he is trash, or is a bottom pairing D frankly shouldn't be commenting on hockey.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad