Rumor: Chris Johnston: Some believe Toronto is the front runner for Ben Chiarot.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
TSN's Chris Johnston said on his podcast that some believe that the Leafs are the front runner for Ben Chiarot, he said they have been in on him from the start.

As a Leaf fan Ben Chiarot himself is not a move I'm against. He would make the Leafs better.

But I know I'm likely to hate the cost because I don't think he's worth a 1st but I think he will get it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wouldn't mind him depending on the price, he was a pain in the ass in the playoffs. And provided a good net front presence. Hoping it's not a 1st. But we need to get bigger and more physical.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

Reactions: Morrison

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Its funny that fans are complaining about paying a first and a top prospect for Hertl, but they might end up paying the same amount for Ben Chiarot.
Hertl is worth a first and top prospect. He’s a top line player.

Chiarot is a 4D at best. As well as a UFA. He’s not worth a 1st and a prospect. Also extremely unlikely Dubas trades back to back 1st round picks for rentals. More likely he goes off the board for someone like he did with Campbell and Muzzin.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Hertl is worth a first and top prospect. He’s a top line player.

Chiarot is a 4D at best. As well as a UFA. He’s not worth a 1st and a prospect. Also extremely unlikely Dubas trades back to back 1st round picks for rentals. More likely he goes off the board for someone like he did with Campbell and Muzzin.
After Nick Folingo I would not have much confidence in Dubas's decision making abilities. Hes clearly not the analytics gm some claimed him to be.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This will probably be an overpayment but the Leafs are trying to win a Cup and could use a tough customer on the backend who can play 20 minutes a night. He's overplayed and overly important on Montreal's make-shift squad so that hurts his advanced metrics but as the 4th guy to round out the Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin trio and to push Holl down into a smaller role - with whomever of Sandin, Liljegren and Dermott is healthiest and playing the best rounding things out...it does kind of complete a pretty solid, if not spectacular defensive depth chart.

Renting Chiarot for a playoff run is nobody's idea of a good usage of a 1st round pick (or a 2nd+ to be frank) but like it or not, he's a guy GM and coaches are going to want to add to toughen up their blueline and ones who are tough and can log big minutes without being total liabilities tend to extract good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad