CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part II: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Players are threatening to strike because they want money that the CFL (outside of Saskatchewan) just doesn't have.

"Both sides are being unreasonable, with the players being slightly moreso" - the official position of every single sports labour disagreement of the last 20 years.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
While that may be true, past CFL labour disputes have occurred when the CFL is broke, something not true this time around, with the CFL having it's first period of financial stability in a decently long while.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Yeah, apparently I'm completely out to lunch with my speculation :sarcasm:. Maybe a couple of you guys will at least hesitate before trashing me next time.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453856

in fairness, you made your statement before any news article, so it was still speculation. Even Eklund gets a trade right every now and then, so

Second, who do you think leaked this information? CFLPA perhaps? Does it not sound like those sham elections in troubled countries where, despite major protests against the ruling govt they still managed to get 98% of the votes in an election?

On the other hand you may be 100% correct, time may tell.

With that said, if you have reasons to believe why you think its 100%, just say why (which you did in a follow up message).

I personally don't see how it could be 100% or even close to that given the financial strains on many of the 'average' players who live season to season. Its not like the NHL where they make a disgusting amount, the league average is extremely high, and they can live very comfortably thru a strike every 7 years lol. And/or choose to play in one of the many other pro leagues in Europe.

Football players don't have the same kind of options. I'm gonna guess that there are more football players and less pro jobs out there, than in hockey, thus the competition is immense. There are something like 60,000 NCAA Div I players at a given time...whereas NCAA hockey is about 1500 players, about 3200 CJHL players and maybe 1000 AHL players.

I hope it doesn't come down to a strike vote for many reasons, but time will tell. If anyone has read the recent book about the failed CFL-US expansion, you'll know just how close the CFL was to folding only 20 years ago.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
in fairness, you made your statement before any news article, so it was still speculation. Even Eklund gets a trade right every now and then, so

Second, who do you think leaked this information? CFLPA perhaps? Does it not sound like those sham elections in troubled countries where, despite major protests against the ruling govt they still managed to get 98% of the votes in an election?

On the other hand you may be 100% correct, time may tell.

With that said, if you have reasons to believe why you think its 100%, just say why (which you did in a follow up message).

I personally don't see how it could be 100% or even close to that given the financial strains on many of the 'average' players who live season to season. Its not like the NHL where they make a disgusting amount, the league average is extremely high, and they can live very comfortably thru a strike every 7 years lol. And/or choose to play in one of the many other pro leagues in Europe.

Football players don't have the same kind of options. I'm gonna guess that there are more football players and less pro jobs out there, than in hockey, thus the competition is immense. There are something like 60,000 NCAA Div I players at a given time...whereas NCAA hockey is about 1500 players, about 3200 CJHL players and maybe 1000 AHL players.

I hope it doesn't come down to a strike vote for many reasons, but time will tell. If anyone has read the recent book about the failed CFL-US expansion, you'll know just how close the CFL was to folding only 20 years ago.

Good post, and there's nothing wrong with doubting a random internet user claiming to be a source.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, I do not know it all, but I do know a little.

In other REDBLACKS news today, RB Jordan Roberts was released, a bit of a surprise. He was battling for the #2 spot behind Chevy. Veteran DB Clarke was also released, probably the end of his career.

So far from camp, the d-line has been doing really well. Moton Hopkins is a beast and a really nice guy too.

I truly believe that this organization has put together a great front office and coaching staff from the top down. Hopefully they can be a winning team soon.

Remember to stop by this Saturday for the mock game in Gatineau or at Keith Harris stadium for an open to the public training camp any day of the week (other than Sunday). "Fun" drills usually start at about 9am, with a 20min break between 9:35 and 9:55. Then there are 1on1s, and scrimmage type drills.

Oct 10, 2010
Yeah, Roberts being released is a surprise!

I am not sold on Walker as the full-time running back just because of his blocking, which is extremely bad.

The main reason why Gable took over the starting job last year in HAM.

Seems that Eric O'Neil and Micheal Hayes will be fighting it out for the backup job at the very least with Delahunt and Lavoie more of 'FB/TE' types.

Clarke being released was bound to happen as he really hasn't been anything more than a backup to begin with plus you factor in his age and yeah, he's probably done with football.
Wish the local guy all the best.

In other news: Import SB Marcus Henry was signed he played the last 3 years in EDM totaling 95 catches.
http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/3049

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I too was somewhat surprised at the Roberts release, but that is clearly a sign that the team has better depth at running back than previously thought.

As for Walker's suspect blocking, I don't think that matters much in today's CFL. If a running back isn't lugging the rock, he is running a pass route - they have pretty much given up on the notion of having running backs trying to take on blitzing linebackers in pass protection because the size and strength mismatch was so huge. Instead of using running backs to block, teams now have taken to inserting an extra receiver, a bigger bodied type tight end, and keep him in to block.

As for any potential labour dispute, I expect that to be resolved by sometime next week. It's pretty obvious that the players want to play, and that they will end up settling for something near the league's terms. The CFL now just needs to toss them an extra bone, allowing the union to save face...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Have to say I miss getting an more in-depth coverage of who is doing what. I'd like to see a depth chart as to who is projected where and then hear about the position battles.

D line sounds like it will be fine (and Hopkins is a beast isn't he). O line should have some real battles for starting positions though and I wish we'd hear more about who is stepping up.

LBs as well

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm going to head to the simulated game/scrimmage over at Mont Bleu in Gatineau on Saturday. That should give a good look into who is where on the depth chart at this stage...

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
I'm going to head to the simulated game/scrimmage over at Mont Bleu in Gatineau on Saturday. That should give a good look into who is where on the depth chart at this stage...

Mont-Bleu as in the high-scool in Hull? good lord that brings memories....

Oct 10, 2010
More transactions;

SIGNED import linebacker Devin Arrington (6-3, 210; Marshall)
SIGNED import offensive tackle Steven Forgette (6-4, 300; Eastern Washington)
SIGNED import defensive back / linebacker Parker Orms (5-10, 190; Colorado)
RELEASED import defensive lineman Bernard Smith (Louisiana)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
More transactions;

SIGNED import linebacker Devin Arrington (6-3, 210; Marshall)
SIGNED import offensive tackle Steven Forgette (6-4, 300; Eastern Washington)
SIGNED import defensive back / linebacker Parker Orms (5-10, 190; Colorado)
RELEASED import defensive lineman Bernard Smith (Louisiana)

good schools. They seem to still be looking at an import tackle on the OLine.

Oct 10, 2010
If they vote it down , they will get punished and if they think they got the short end of the stick now, it will get much worse.
The two guys screaming the loudest , Foley and Lewis are not exactly the sharpest characters. They were never getting close to 6 million , never mind the 6.8 million they threw out there. Be happy with the raise and money to sign , which actually brings the cap to 5.2 this year.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
A summary for the sake of summary...

Reports say the tentative agreement has the cap at $5M, a $600,000 increase from '13. It will increase $50k/year for the duration of the deal. For this league, that's still significant but looking at the estimated $2.75M pull teams are getting from the new TV deal seems a little off-kilter.

The owners managed to finagle pulling revenue sharing from the table and won't discuss it again until league revenues reach $27M (players wanted the figure at $18M). That is a major concession as many players were beating that drum pretty hard.

They also nixed the independent neurologist idea.

Players get:

- the minimum raised from $45,000 to $50,000

- the average player salary is expected to jump from between $72-82,000 to $96,000

- veterans will no longer have a team option year tacked on to their contracts (rookies will)

- a tiered signing bonus system, with an average of $7,500 for veteran players. Rookies get $1,500.

Other details are likely but not public as yet.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Yeah, willing to bet that a strike will occur tomorrow morning.

I think it was on TSN they mentioned that the Hamilton player rep thought it would be divided, but ultimately the team would vote in favour. haven't heard anything about the others teams to that extent, what have other players said? is it a case of the vets cs. rookies? oh the drama, lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
- the minimum raised from $45,000 to $50,000

11% raise in minimum salary

- the average player salary is expected to jump from between $72-82,000 to $96,000

14-to-25% increase in average salary

a tiered signing bonus system, with an average of $7,500 for veteran players. Rookies get $1,500.

~8% of your yearly salary in bonuses just for signing the new CBA

... in almost any field, anywhere, that is an amazing win for the Union who negotiated it. Weird how only in the world of pro sports would it possibly not be enough to avert a strike.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it was on TSN they mentioned that the Hamilton player rep thought it would be divided, but ultimately the team would vote in favour. haven't heard anything about the others teams to that extent, what have other players said? is it a case of the vets cs. rookies? oh the drama, lol

Ottawa had a vote yesterday that was majoritarily in favour of strike. Calgary players are overwhelmingly angry at it. Toronto players have publicly expressed discontent too. Three of nine right there, and that's not including teams that haven't come out one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad