CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part II: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The players get upwards of 50k, they get bonuses for playoff games and pre-season games, they get benefits, plus they get opportunities for other jobs from being a professional athlete if they choose to pursue those avenues. I.E (Sports analyst, commentator, blogger/writer/contributor, team management. Don't act like these guys are piss poor and have no chance in life after football. Their careers may not last long but they don't have to go far for a new job afterwards. Being a pro athlete gives you opportunities in life that us regular citizens don't get.

How much of the leagues growth in the past few years have the player's seen?

Pitlick*

I'm sorry, but the CFL is a minor league. What happens when a big star like Cameron Wake or Rashad Jeanty develops? They fulfil their dream of signing with a major league (NFL) team. There is not 1 player in the CFL who wouldn't prefer to be in the big leagues.

I like the CFL, but it is the NFL's minors. Far lower salaries, and when the NFL comes calling for the cfls stars, they leave.

Just as the MLS is the minors when compared to the big European soccer leagues.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm sorry, but the CFL is a minor league. What happens when a big star like Cameron Wake or Rashad Jeanty develops? They fulfil their dream of signing with a major league (NFL) team. There is not 1 player in the CFL who wouldn't prefer to be in the big leagues.

I like the CFL, but it is the NFL's minors. Far lower salaries, and when the NFL comes calling for the cfls stars, they leave.

The difference, MLS will pay older vets huge amounts of money (Henry -NY) CFL would never give a big pay day to an older vet from the NFL. Look at Ochocinco you think he's going to be paid anywhere near the top paid receivers (Fantuz) heck no. The CFL is a minor league in the biggest sense. Half the league lose money annually.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How much of the leagues growth in the past few years have the player's seen?

I wasn't talking about that..My point was against this idea that CFL athletes don't get paid enough..These athletes get 50k+ benefits+ playoff/pre-season bonuses. Add in the opportunities a professional athlete gains from a post playing career. How many football players (Stegall) (Brown) on TSN doing pre-game, half-time analysis. I want to call out these ideas that these players have no future and that they should be getting paid enormous amounts of money..These players are doing fine. Now speaking of league growth and how much the players have seen. That depends how much has the league grown. The CFL doesn't have revenue sharing so how much legit info is out there? We do know that the tv contracts keep going up so thats a plus for the players

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In this thread: people who have no idea how the CFL works, people who are comparing it versus walmart employees

You can compare any job to any job. It all comes down to a person be able to support their family. Stop trying to look so high and mighty. A job is a job and any job can be compared to any job. You don't have some hierarchy where you get to decide which jobs can be compared to which jobs. Get over yourself.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't think averages matter IMHO.

IMO, the players deserve enough money where they can humbly and modestly earn enough to be able to have a family without needing another job.

I'd also like to point out that you don't have a lot of inside info on the structuring of the deal, so you don't really know what else could be in there.

As for your first paragraph, the average cfl salary is enough to support a family comfortably without a second job. Millions of Canadians support their family with less salary.

As for your second paragraph, I don't know or care about either side in this CBA negotiation, I just think its silly to think you can't support himself with 50,000 or his family with 50,000+ whatever the wife might make.

If your argument is cfl players deserve more money, cool. My only problem is with the people that say making40-60,000 requires you to get a second job because it doesn't. I use millions of people in Canada as my example.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
As for your first paragraph, the average cfl salary is enough to support a family comfortably without a second job. Millions of Canadians support their family with less salary.

As for your second paragraph, I don't know or care about either side in this CBA negotiation, I just think its silly to think you can't support himself with 50,000 or his family with 50,000+ whatever the wife might make.

If your argument is cfl players deserve more money, cool. My only problem is with the people that say making40-60,000 requires you to get a second job because it doesn't. I use millions of people in Canada as my example.

Geez, read what I said.

I'm not saying it's NOT ENOUGH. I'm saying it's on the LINE of being not enough. Wake up.

I don't have a side to this argument. Players or owners. I just mean to convey that it's an ENTIRELY different can of worms than something like the NHL or NFL lockouts. The fight for more money is not being done by millionaire fighting for more millions. It's a fight for money that actually is within a reasonable middle class range. That's my point. Got it?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I think everyone is arguing the same thing, it's just semantics.

The AHL and Triple-A baseball really are minor leagues because they feed directly into the 'major' leagues.

Does anyone call the Swedish Hockey League and Finnish SM-Liiga 'minor league' because they are not the NHL? Is the KHL a minor league? Is the French soccer/football league called a minor league because it's not the EPL or La Liga? Maybe, but I don't usually hear them referred to that way.

People are arguing that the CFL isn't a minor league, it's just the pro football league of Canada. No one is arguing that the top talent wouldn't rather be making the big bucks in the NFL if given the choice.

People in Sweden and Finland appear to have no issue supporting their domestic hockey leagues while perhaps watching the NHL at the same time.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think everyone is arguing the same thing, it's just semantics.

The AHL and Triple-A baseball really are minor leagues because they feed directly into the 'major' leagues.

Does anyone call the Swedish Hockey League and Finnish SM-Liiga 'minor league' because they are not the NHL? Is the KHL a minor league? Is the French soccer/football league called a minor league because it's not the EPL or La Liga? Maybe, but I don't usually hear them referred to that way.

People are arguing that the CFL isn't a minor league, it's just the pro football league of Canada. No one is arguing that the top talent wouldn't rather be making the big bucks in the NFL if given the choice.

People in Sweden and Finland appear to have no issue supporting their domestic hockey leagues while perhaps watching the NHL at the same time.

:clap:

Oct 10, 2010
I would personally call any hockey league not called the NHL a minor league.

For me, if you're not playing in the best league in the world regardless of sport, it's a minor league.

(Mod: They) need to get this deal done.

I am so looking forward to the season!

Last edited by a moderator:

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I would personally call any hockey league not called the NHL a minor league.

For me, if you're not playing in the best league in the world regardless of sport, it's a minor league.

(Mod: They) need to get this deal done.

I am so looking forward to the season!

Wow. Can you give me empirical evidence that the NHL is the best in the world? It probably is no doubt, but top level leagues in the same sport are a LOT closer than you make it seem. In international exhibitions NHL teams only have a 2-1-0 advantage over KHL squads, and none of those games had a goal differential higher than 2.

Who is the 'major league' of soccer pray tell? If you say English Premier League you'd be dead wrong (either Bundesliga or La Liga). What about our Fury? Division 2 in North America would seem to be minor league, but there's a chance to play teams in other levels of the sport all the time (witness FC Edmonton and Montreal Impact this month). Does that change their 'minor' league status? Just because a league get's a lot of coverage and has the most money does NOT put it in another category above any other. That's silliness.

Pro = paid to play as a profession. Hence pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2010
Wow. Can you give me empirical evidence that the NHL is the best in the world? It probably is no doubt, but top level leagues in the same sport are a LOT closer than you make it seem. In international exhibitions NHL teams only have a 2-1-0 advantage over KHL squads, and none of those games had a goal differential higher than 2.

Who is the 'major league' of soccer pray tell? If you say English Premier League you'd be dead wrong (either Bundesliga or La Liga). What about our Fury? Division 2 in North America would seem to be minor league, but there's a chance to play teams in other levels of the sport all the time (witness FC Edmonton and Montreal Impact this month). Does that change their 'minor' league status? Just because a league get's a lot of coverage and has the most money does NOT put it in another category above any other. That's silliness.

Pro = paid to play as a profession. Hence pro.

I can't speak on soccer because i know nothing about it. (Should have worded it better.)

I was mainly talking about the 4 major sports here - baseball, hockey, basketball, football.

Almost all the best players play in MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL.
Of course, if you were to have other teams from other leagues play vs. the best they could win a couple times, but the majority of the talent are in the leagues above mentioned. And if they aren't there yet they will be trying extremely hard to reach the goal.

All CFL players want to play in the NFL, all AAA/AA/A/Japanese players want to play in the MLB, All players world wide in basketball leagues would like to play in the NBA, if good enough.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I think you are confusing entry level with average wage. The entry rookie level contracts are the 50K range but the average is 80K+, which is pretty good. 5,000 a game or so.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Marwan Hage @marwanhage · May 21
TOGETHER WE ARE THE GAME, WE ARE STRONG, WE ARE UNITED.

what a moron.... I wonder what this joker is paying his Tim Hortons staff.... so glad he didn't end up on our team

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think you are confusing entry level with average wage. The entry rookie level contracts are the 50K range but the average is 80K+, which is pretty good. 5,000 a game or so.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453761

Based on this article here it reiterates that average number being 50-60k.

Considering contracts are non-guaranteed, that's pretty terrible for a professional sport where an injury could leave you with issues finding non-sport related work as well.

They probably should bump the minimum up to at least 80k, provide guaranteed contracts and possibly make a salary cap tied to revenue like they do in the NHL.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Based on what I know, I can almost guarantee 100% that the players will strike if a deal is not in place at the earliest possible strike day.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
A strike means nothing until June 26 or whatever date they are scheduled to start.

It's all just talk. If they were absolutely serious about it, they wouldn't be in camps right now. No one wants a strike and as much as the players say they are united, I bet a secret strike vote right now on the CFL's proposal would be pretty close to 50/50

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
lol, true... I guess that means its not speculation in the slightest!

It's not complete speculation, it's based on what I've seen from players since training camp started.

Some speculation on my end, but the vets are working on the rookies hard to press for a strike, that's for sure.

Ottawa Hockey Fan

Apr 9, 2012
Not gunna lie this strike talk is definitely taking the wind out of my sails for the season! I was as excited as anyone else before but now I'm just downright depressed!:(

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453761

Based on this article here it reiterates that average number being 50-60k.

Considering contracts are non-guaranteed, that's pretty terrible for a professional sport where an injury could leave you with issues finding non-sport related work as well.

They probably should bump the minimum up to at least 80k, provide guaranteed contracts and possibly make a salary cap tied to revenue like they do in the NHL.

2013 Cap:$4.4M, 53 players, 80K average.

Of course there are many at the minimum, but linemen usually make in the 80-100K range, the special teams guys get the minimum which is that 45K number, which is supposed to rise to 50K.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, apparently I'm completely out to lunch with my speculation :sarcasm:. Maybe a couple of you guys will at least hesitate before trashing me next time.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453856

With CBA talks at a near standstill, a source has told TSN Football Insider Dave Naylor that players from seven of the nine CFL teams have taken votes with 98 per cent of them in favour of a strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad