CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part II: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'd be very surprised if they turn it down.. They will gripe a bunch, but in the end, they won't get very much better than this either way.

Also, public opinion will turn on them pretty quickly if they turn it down.

The deal really isn't that bad either.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Ottawa had a vote yesterday that was majoritarily in favour of strike. Calgary players are overwhelmingly angry at it. Toronto players have publicly expressed discontent too. Three of nine right there, and that's not including teams that haven't come out one way or the other.

thanks for the response
I am in no way denying what you are saying, but I haven't read that anywhere yet, just wondering if you know where I can read about what the players are saying

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
thanks for the response
I am in no way denying what you are saying, but I haven't read that anywhere yet, just wondering if you know where I can read about what the players are saying

No problem.

RedBlacks comments come from an Arash Madani tweet. He also has a quote from an unnamed source about Saskatchewan not being happy either.

The Stamps info is more prevalent, as they cast a strike vote and have been pretty outspoken.

Finding it a bit harder to get Argos confirmation, though, can't remember where I read it. Will post when I can find it again.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
11% raise in minimum salary

14-to-25% increase in average salary

~8% of your yearly salary in bonuses just for signing the new CBA

... in almost any field, anywhere, that is an amazing win for the Union who negotiated it. Weird how only in the world of pro sports would it possibly not be enough to avert a strike.

Wouldn't it depend on the perceived discrepancy between what a business makes and what percentage of that employees feel they should be entitled to?

A lot of the grumbling seems to be coming from out west where the real revenue drivers in the league are. If you're a player in Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Edmonton you see the gate, the TV money and ask yourself why you're not getting a bigger slice.

Not surprising that Dyakowski (the Hamilton player rep, one of the league's bottom third revenue generators) has come out in support of the tentative agreement.

Hard to sympathize with the dissidents.

This is a league that could barely stay solvent a decade ago, many teams on the brink. Things finally start to look up with lucrative broadcast rights, new stadium deals, sponsorships and you're asking them to increase their cost astronomically as soon as the new money comes in. Well, the league has other priorities.

The next five years should be focused on making sure that all teams can remain healthy and increase their value. If the league continues growing, that's better for everyone and there's a better chance the players get a bigger slice five years down the line.

Oct 10, 2010
Today's Transactions:

RELEASED import quarterback Corey Leonard
REMOVED non-import defensive lineman Vincent Desloges
RELEASED import defensive end Brandon Lang

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Anyone know if the CFL will have some sort of streaming service for this season? TSN has the TV deal, so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

Oct 10, 2010
Not sure if they'll be available live online.

With regards to the team - RedBlacks will be cutting 10 players after the first pre-season game.

Should be interesting as to who those player will be.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Anyone know if the CFL will have some sort of streaming service for this season? TSN has the TV deal, so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.
What TSN did the last few seasons was have the Friday night game each week available as a live stream on their website, while all the other games were available as a VOD on their site usually 4-6 hours after each game.

However, TSN has really been pushing their TSN Go service (which is only available to Bell customers) the last little while, so it's quite likely that even the Friday night game will only be streamed to TSN Go only. I'm quite confident that the VOD service will continue though, since that has been the same since TSN got the CFL deal years back.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I want to see games at TD Place this year, want to be able to use the tickets I've bought, but the players should strike down this deal right quick. At a minimum, the entire "leadership" of the CFLPA should be looking for new jobs.

Does this deal not basically split the new TV revenue, or very close?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Woods also had a taste with the NFL.

It's getting to crunch time though, so expect another half dozen cuts in the next short while.

Saturdays game is on TSN2 by the way...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I am so glad that it never came down to a strike vote, cause I think, as you alluded to, the vets would run the floor and its clear the rookies wouldn't break ranks against them.

Yeah I think a lot of players got strongly advised by agents and that brought them back to saner levels, rather than "rah rah lets all strike and we can all make millions"

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Difficulty in the CFL is that with no revenue sharing, there are huge differences between the franchises in terms of revenues. The Prairie teams are all very nicely profitable, and BC has now become profitable as well I believe. The Eastern teams, though, are all having their issues. The Hamilton Tiger Cats are still a charity case for Bob Young, the Argos lose money, and now the Alouettes are struggling to sell seats in a small stadium. Ottawa should be profitable once we get rolling, but like any new franchise start up costs are huge.

For the Eastern teams, that new TV money was essential to survival. For the Western teams, it was nice extra profit. Basically, if you play for Saskatchewan, I don't blame you for wanting a bigger slice of the pie. If you play for Hamilton, you should just be happy that your owner is still willing to subsidize the team...

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Difficulty in the CFL is that with no revenue sharing, there are huge differences between the franchises in terms of revenues. The Prairie teams are all very nicely profitable, and BC has now become profitable as well I believe. The Eastern teams, though, are all having their issues. The Hamilton Tiger Cats are still a charity case for Bob Young, the Argos lose money, and now the Alouettes are struggling to sell seats in a small stadium. Ottawa should be profitable once we get rolling, but like any new franchise start up costs are huge.

For the Eastern teams, that new TV money was essential to survival. For the Western teams, it was nice extra profit. Basically, if you play for Saskatchewan, I don't blame you for wanting a bigger slice of the pie. If you play for Hamilton, you should just be happy that your owner is still willing to subsidize the team...

I got an email from the RedBlacks saying they are down to just 1000 tickets for the home opener, and the tickets haven't even gone on sale to th epublic yet (as a single ticket i mean, not a package)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

The new Ivor Wynne will really help Bob Young, a more generic looking stadium but it is brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad