Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/VAN] Vanek for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
To be fair to Benning, even when Vanek was considered in prime he only fetched a 2nd and a declining prospect. Seems no one really wants to trade for him.

Vanek should have returned a 5th or 6th round pick.

There is no excuse for trading him for Motte.

I've never seen a fan base defend such an incompetent GM.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
When and why did Vanek's value drop so much?

When? Last year? Why? He's strictly offensive and that's it, but he's not going to take icetime from top players already on the team. Not a guy you put out there to win a game in the last minute or a guy to defend a lead.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I know. A lot of you are all over him.

But there seems to be a surprising number of fans that defend him based on his draft record.

Boggles my kind too. They haven't even hit pro yet, and that's where you find out if a prospect sinks or swims. Too bad there is more to being a GM than just drafting.

Reactions: dim jim

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Outside of putting up points, he doesn't really do anything. Reminds me of JVR. Now, points are obviously important but you're now expected to bring something else to the table as well.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I would say somewhere between his trade to the Islanders and his trade to Montreal is where the value started to decline, and then his stop in Minnesota just accelerated it.

Not sure why though. There was the partying till sunrise the morning before a qualifying round game at the 2014 Olympics. Then all the off ice distractions in Minnesota where he was involved in investigations into some illegal gambling and allegedly millions in debt. I can't find where I saw it, but he apparently caused some locker room issues with his short tenure in Montreal when he really disappeared in the playoffs.

The guy must have some serious baggage that we don't know about that gets spread about the fraternity of NHL front office folks. The guy puts quality middle 6 winger numbers, yet returns almost nothing at the deadline and then sits on the UFA market for a couple months.

I would imagine his downturn after trades doesn't help. He disappeared in the playoffs for MTL after coming over as a deadline rental and then last year down the stretch for the Panthers, outside of 1 game where he was +3 with 4 assists, he was a -10 with 2 goals and 4 assists in 19 games.

He's probably really kicking himself for not taking that 7 year $50M deal Garth Snow threw at him...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
When? Last year? Why? He's strictly offensive and that's it, but he's not going to take icetime from top players already on the team. Not a guy you put out there to win a game in the last minute or a guy to defend a lead.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Vanek is going to be second on our team in points.... And he's getting a top 6 spot in the lineup on Wennberg's wing opposite of Foligno.

He won't be put out to defend a lead... But if he puts up points Torts will put him out there to help win games..

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is there a more useless TDL acquisition than Thomas Vanek ? Last year did nothing for Florida. Nothing for Columbus so far. Not very good in the playoffs for the Habs years back.

And yet somehow i expect him to be traded again next year :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Vanek is going to be second on our team in points.... And he's getting a top 6 spot in the lineup on Wennberg's wing opposite of Foligno.

He won't be put out to defend a lead... But if he puts up points Torts will put him out there to help win games..

Wow, who could’ve predicted this???????

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Wow, who could’ve predicted this???????

You saw the part where I said he wouldn't be put on the ice to hold a lead right? The jackets were ahead the entire game.

No shit he didn't play the last 10 minutes. Neither did Werenski.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You saw the part where I said he wouldn't be put on the ice to hold a lead right? The jackets were ahead the entire game.

No **** he didn't play the last 10 minutes. Neither did Werenski.

Was the entire game in the last 10 minutes? 10mins of icetime, oof. How this guy manages to get traded to playoff contenders every year is beyond me.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Is there a more useless TDL acquisition than Thomas Vanek ? Last year did nothing for Florida. Nothing for Columbus so far. Not very good in the playoffs for the Habs years back.

And yet somehow i expect him to be traded again next year :laugh:

Holy shit I forgot he was on the Habs

Its crazy how a guy like him spent so long with one organization and has had so many irrelevant stints with so many random teams

Reactions: Goldeneye

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

No **** he didn't play the last 10 minutes. Neither did Werenski.
He's played 3 games all on the road. He hasn't even settled in yet. I'm not judging his performance until I see a bigger sample size. He hasn't exactly done shit but he's a offensive player, it takes time to build chemistry and learn your new system. Sometimes it clicks automatically, sometimes it takes time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad