Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/VAN] Vanek for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

varano

Jun 27, 2013
That's an interesting take.

Based on what I've seen of him in Columbus (I've watched all their games since the deadline), that is certainly not how I would describe him.

He's like Kessel if Kessel had none of the attributes that make him Phil Kessel.
lolol

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Applesauce (CBJ nickname) is an extremeeeely underrated PK’er
He’s been anything but a good PK player for Vancouver. He’s a turnover machine, usually in the most critical areas of the ice too. Opposing blue line, inside defensive zone, lack of zone clears. Then when he finally gets an offensive chance he rips it high and wide when he gets anything behind it, otherwise it reminds me of how Dale Weise got the nickname Muffins from me. If he’s had to carry the puck, his shot looks like he’s completely out of breathe taking a shot.

Reactions: Peen

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He’s been anything but a good PK player for Vancouver. He’s a turnover machine, usually in the most critical areas of the ice too. Opposing blue line, inside defensive zone, lack of zone clears. Then when he finally gets an offensive chance he rips it high and wide when he gets anything behind it, otherwise it reminds me of how Dale Weise got the nickname Muffins from me. If he’s had to carry the puck, his shot looks like he’s completely out of breathe taking a shot.

So he’s a turnover machine in the most critical areas of the ice, at the opposing blue line, in the defensive zone, lacks zone clears on the pk? He gets all of those chances on the PK? Impressive.

Because I was solely talking about ‘ON THE PENALTY KILL’ not any other areas of the game. PK’er stands for penalty killer, ya learn something new every day.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Was the entire game in the last 10 minutes? 10mins of icetime, oof. How this guy manages to get traded to playoff contenders every year is beyond me.
14+ minute's tonight...

Only Cam Calvert and Panarin had more TOI on the wings.

It's almost as if he's getting more ice time as he gets used to his new team.

WOW WHO COULD'VE PREDICTED THAT

Reactions: MikeyMike01 and Fro

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean I haven't actually been watching Vancouver this season other than the occasional highlights, but my impression of Vanek is that he wasn't doing much or looking great but suddenly would put up a bunch of points every once in a while.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
I mean I haven't actually been watching Vancouver this season other than the occasional highlights, but my impression of Vanek is that he wasn't doing much or looking great but suddenly would put up a bunch of points every once in a while.
This is Vanek in a nutshell. He will drive you crazy by looking invisible for stretches or making a defensive gaffe and suddenly he'll look like an all star.

A fair amount of Canuck fans thought we would get a 1st rounder for him after his 5 point game earlier in the season. By the deadline we didn't even get a draft pick

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Vanek was actually very good for Vancouver. He was very much a Thomas Vanek, some times you wonder where he is on the back check, then 2 mins later he’s setting up a beautiful goal. Imho he showed Brock how to play with Swagger every min not matter how lazy he can look. He’s underrated at retrieving the puck back inside the offensive zone, plays the game hard and basically expects to score every time he puts something on net.

If this isn’t what you expect from Thomas Vanek then I don’t know what league you been watching.
also to the claim that Canucks fans were expecting a 1st for him is utter bullshit and pushing a clear agenda. Most of us just wanted a 3rd, many were willing to look at a 4th plus a middling prospect. Not a 4.5 years into development tweener

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

So you haven't watched him at all this season. But you're here guessing about how his seasons been.

Unbelievable. Why even voice your opinion if you have nothing to base it on? Definition of talking out of your ass.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So you haven't watched him at all this season. But you're here guessing about how his seasons been.

Unbelievable. Why even voice your opinion if you have nothing to base it on? Definition of talking out of your ass.

Well that's nice. Just because you're not watching doesn't necessarily mean you aren't paying attention. Like following boxscores daily to keep up with various fantasy leagues, or browsing the tail end of GDT's where posters like Orcatown do nice write ups on individual players. Which gives a person, like I said in my original post, an "impression" on the player.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
8 pts in 11 games with the Jackets so far.

The Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek line has kicked into an extra gear and they are clicking and helping to drive this team into the playoffs. Putting Vanek on a line and Wenny and Jenner has Kickstarted both of them this season and look like entirely different players.

Vanek is just so smart on the puck and being paired with another high hockey IQ player in Wennberg and a bull around the net like Jenner has been absolute magic. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic and I'm praying to the hockey gods if we make the playoffs that they don't disappear.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
8 pts in 11 games with the Jackets so far.

The Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek line has kicked into an extra gear and they are clicking and helping to drive this team into the playoffs. Putting Vanek on a line and Wenny and Jenner has Kickstarted both of them this season and look like entirely different players.

Vanek is just so smart on the puck and being paired with another high hockey IQ player in Wennberg and a bull around the net like Jenner has been absolute magic. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic and I'm praying to the hockey gods if we make the playoffs that they don't disappear.
Funny since Vanek got such flak as soon as he was added to CBJ.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
To be fair to everyone dumping on him after a few games in Columbus, Vanek really had a bizarre first few games. It was truly like he couldn't do anything right. Fumbled pucks. Turned pucks over constantly. Fanned shots. Threw pucks into space where no CBJ player was anywhere near.

Something clicked.

I think it was a reflection of him being a cerebral high IQ player and just how off the Columbus offense has been all season. Very much thanks to Vanek, we have seen the best play of the year from Jenner and Wennberg. Something that Vanek said or did has energized these guys. It seems like everyone has been working so hard to create offense with no idea why it wasn't working.

Jenner is playing the best hockey that he has played in over 2 years, maybe longer, since getting put with him.

Yes he is prone to coasting and bad penalties and other infuriating intangibles. I'm willing to live with that, because he is really helping to eliminate a lot of CBJs offensive zone struggles. He's not being challenged to change his game but Torts. He's being put in a secondary scoring role with 2nd/3rd line tweener minutes. He is in a position to succeed and it's working right now.

I guess all I can add is that people probably shouldn't freak out after 3 games of a player with a new team traded midseason.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJSTH

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
yeah everyone pissing and moaning a couple games after guy is making what 1 million dollars and has nearly 50 points. I'm still annoyed Chia didn't try to grab him at least he would have been able to make up for the points lost by Eberle butttttt no Chias way too stupid.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Last game (or maybe the game before) Shelley and Rimer were talking during the game and said that after Vanek got on Wennbergs line he had to go talk to him after playing with him and told him to stop thinking so defensively and that they have good enough defensemen and that he needs to push offensively more. And sure enough that line has been rolling.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
idk wtf people expect of vanek

he is what he is, a slowish, extremely skilled, offensive minded winger. thats it. use him like that and he will produce

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad